Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 04:08 AM   #1
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Buying Kindle books as gifts

One of the thing I've noticed now that my sister has a Kindle is that I don't seem to have an option to buy her eBooks as gifts - or at least the option isn't obvious.

For nearly every Christmas and Birthday that I can recall I have bought her at least one book.

I would like to be able to go into Amazon and buy her an eBook - but I can't really do that.

I have Kindle for PC and am waiting for my Kindle WiFi, so I suppose I could just buy for my own account, remove the DRM and then transfer to her device that way. Feels a bit like I'm giving her pirated software for a gift which is a bit odd.

I guess the other thing I can do is purchase an Amazon gift card, but sometimes gift cards feel like the easy option.

Ah - the digital age, making the complicated possible and the simple complicated.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
One of the thing I've noticed now that my sister has a Kindle is that I don't seem to have an option to buy her eBooks as gifts - or at least the option isn't obvious.

For nearly every Christmas and Birthday that I can recall I have bought her at least one book.

I would like to be able to go into Amazon and buy her an eBook - but I can't really do that.

I have Kindle for PC and am waiting for my Kindle WiFi, so I suppose I could just buy for my own account, remove the DRM and then transfer to her device that way. Feels a bit like I'm giving her pirated software for a gift which is a bit odd.

I guess the other thing I can do is purchase an Amazon gift card, but sometimes gift cards feel like the easy option.

Ah - the digital age, making the complicated possible and the simple complicated.

Regards
Caleb
But a gift card gives one the option of free choice or change one's mind before buying a book or something else, without having to pay for it.
I quite like that ' luxury' feel of a giftcard.

edit: you also could buy a cheap 2-nd book on a subject like " how to grow vegetables for my old age" and than put the gift card inside it, as a surprise.

Last edited by desertblues; 09-22-2010 at 04:56 AM.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 05:04 AM   #3
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
I did read somewhere that Amazon are working on the buying ebooks as gifts - I'd like that but as a Kindle reader, I'm also very happy to receive gift cards too. Hopefully they'll get it cracked soon.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
Given the huge amount of advertising Amazon are doing at the moment - with TV ads and adverts on both the trains (SouthWest Trains at least) and the London Underground - and the fact I think they are getting plenty of requests for this - it wouldn't surprise me if this suddenly happened in time for Christmas ..... we can but hope.
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:24 AM   #5
ChaoZ
Connoisseur
ChaoZ doesn't litterChaoZ doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Mini, Kobo Touch
There's wish list option for the Kindle Store. I just assumed that others can access that list if you wished, and buy you stuff from it.
ChaoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
There's wish list option for the Kindle Store. I just assumed that others can access that list if you wished, and buy you stuff from it.
Yes they can, I did this for hubby last year. But it doesn't currently work for ebooks sadly - hopefully soon.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Caleb.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
This is what Kindle Books on the wishlist look like

Hopefully Amazon will eventually add the option to buy them from the wishlist ....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	236
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	58626  
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #9
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecsi View Post
Given the huge amount of advertising Amazon are doing at the moment - with TV ads and adverts on both the trains (SouthWest Trains at least) and the London Underground - and the fact I think they are getting plenty of requests for this - it wouldn't surprise me if this suddenly happened in time for Christmas ..... we can but hope.
It's amazing how things always seem to happen just in time for Christmas...
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote