Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-16-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
The_Bookworm
The_Bookworm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
[HELP ME!!!] My reader froze!

Ok, so... I'm going mad!
My beloved e-reader froze, and I don't know why!
Today I was reading an e-book, as usual. I was turning pages on pages, enjoying my book. Then... it froze.
I've tried with charging the reader via usb (original cable): nothing. With the charger (original too): nothing.
It's... dead! The red light doesn't even light up!

What can I do?! I'm panicky! What can I do?!
The_Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Tried a soft and then a hard re-set, Bookworm? Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Bookworm - I've had this happen 2-3 times. Unfortunately, it seems that recovering can take a while because the freeze likes to drain the battery.

Basically, what I do is to try a hard reset 2-3 times and, if it hasn't recovered, I plug it into my PC. It may take a couple of hours, but eventually the reader wakes up again.

Question for you: Did you happen to have a memory card installed in the Reader when this happened? I've been wondering if a bad memory card (or a bad connection to the memory card) is what was causing the crashes, so I took my card out. Hasn't happened since then, but since it only happened every couple of months that doesn't really prove anything.
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
The_Bookworm

Well, yes at the first question and no at the second one.
I tried a reset with the pencil, but it's frozen still (plus, the battery was charged yesterday!).
And I hadn't a memory card in the reader.

It happened before, but then I connected the reader with its USB cable and it began to run again. I don't really know.
I'll try to let it plugged for some hours, hope it'll resolve. Hope I won't have to buy another one just now...

BTW, what's the different between soft and hard reset?
Old 09-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #5
mwheinz
award-winning bozo
mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.mwheinz can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
A soft reset is where you just hold the power button for several seconds. A "hard" reset is supposed to be where you push that pin into the hole but, as you've noticed, it doesn't seem to be a real "hard reset".

A real hard reset should actually force the CPU to stop and restart - like pulling the batteries out. Obviously, you can't pull out the batteries on a 600....
mwheinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I've had my PRS600 freeze a couple of times with a full battery. I've brought it back to life by either plugging in the charger (psp wallcharger) or, if didn't have my charger at hand, pressing the reset button to do a soft reset. I've found that sometimes you need to press the reset button several times before the reader resets, one time I gave up trying to reset and after a couple of minutes of leaving it alone it reset by itself.

I've been wondering if charging might be the cause of some freezes. I've noticed that two out of the three times my reader froze I've charged my reader longer than normal, instead of 8-9 hours during the night I let it charge between 16-20 hours. The first time I can't remember how long I charged it but I suspect the weirdly formatted PDF I was reading.
Rumpelteazer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:34 AM   #7
The_Bookworm

Well... I tried the hard reset way, and the reader began to run again.
But here it is another problem: the frozen big previous problem is now a daily! What can the cause be?