Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-02-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Mubbles
Mubbles began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Problems with Kobo Books

Hi There,

I'm relatively new to buying ebooks, and I'm hoping someone on here can help me out.

I have the Sony PRS-650 and have been buying books from Sony. Recently I discovered some books that were cheaper on Kobo, so I decided to try downloading one from them.

The problem I'm having is that the book from Kobo does not show the cover - has anyone else had this issue? It shows fine in the Kobo app on the computer, but the Sony app does not see a cover, just the first page of the book (plain white with the title). I really do prefer to be able to see the book cover when I browse my books (I don't care so much about when opening it to read, just to look through the books). Is there any way to fix this, or is this just something that happens with Kobo books?

Thanks in advance,
Robin
Mubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I have noticed that some books have the cover image and some books don't, I haven't really noticed where they come from. But if you use Calibre, you can download a cover for any book that doesn't have one. But, you will have to strip the DRM in order to get the books into Calibre.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mubbles View Post
Is there any way to fix this, or is this just something that happens with Kobo books?
It's sort of 'something that happens'. As you see, the Kobo desktop app shows the correct covers, and if Kobo users sync with their devices, they'll see the books with the correct covers on their Kobo eReaders also. Sideloading with the same ebook, but which is an EPUB, does see the occasional ebook with a missing cover, though I've also sideloaded EPUBs from KoboBooks with the correct covers. I'm not sure why some books are special, and others aren't.

Regarding the missing ebook covers when browsing the library on a Sony device... I suppose one could also either manually create or have Calibre generate custom thumbnails that would show up when browsing, without editing the book itself or having to strip DRM. Pardon the lack of detail though, as I'm hazy on how one would go about this. If you don't mind stripping DRM, you could use Calibre to add covers, as eP noted.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Mubbles
Mubbles began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 650
Thanks so much! seems like such a little thing, but it was really bugging me.
Mubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #5
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I have noticed that some books have the cover image and some books don't, I haven't really noticed where they come from. But if you use Calibre, you can download a cover for any book that doesn't have one. But, you will have to strip the DRM in order to get the books into Calibre.

eP
A slight correction - you only need to strip the DRM to read the books on Calibre's reader. You can always download your books as usual, load them into Calibre and adjust the metadata (including the covers) to your liking. Then, when you upload from Calibre to the Reader, the cover and your tags and all will be there for you to use and enjoy.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
tb74
tb74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
There is a way to alter the cover thumbnails for any book, whether from Kobo, Sony, OverDrive etc., that is relatively easy (altho slightly time consuming). I do it for almost all of the books I load, from whichever source. Even the books that have proper covers associated often look less than optimized. It's easy to find some nice cover art online, reduce it to the proper max dimensions (168x217) and load it. A bit of work, but looks sooo nice.
tb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
leshaboo
leshaboo began at the beginning.

Device: nextbook2
Unhappy i cant open my books

Kobo asked me to do a update so I did now I can't open any of my book (proeess com.kobobooks.Android ) keeps popin up
leshaboo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo store, sony 650