Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2021, 06:06 PM   #541
javl
javl began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch 2.0
Currently how this works is I have a Raspberry Pi Pico hooked up to the serial port on the Clara. Pressing the button closes the circuit between the port's VCC and the Pico, starting the Pico (so it doesn't use any power until you press the button). On boot the Pico sends out a single serial signal. A script checks the serial port and triggers a fake tap on the screen when it detects this signal.

Maybe I should explore my second option: when you plug in your USB cable it gets detected even when in this idle state, right? So I was thinking of hooking up a switch to a small USB powerbank and hooking my script into this power detection. I'm just not sure these short bursts of power (like a second every time you press the button) won't damage anything. Also, the USB plug seems to be a fragile point (but I could solder to the PCB instead).

Edit: ahh I see, the 500 is a 500ms delay. I was just looking for '500' in the docs. Didn't occur to me it was one of the regular arguments, sorry.

Last edited by javl; 06-27-2021 at 06:11 PM.
javl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 07:54 PM   #542
skayme
skayme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 / Sony 505
I installed and works perfect! The only question is when I try to connect FTP via Nickel Menu. I use Filezilla, but I get authentification error. What is the user and password to use in ftp?
skayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 06:11 AM   #543
javl

Weird, I posted a reply yesterday but when I went back to edit it, it disappeared.

This version of the button uses a Raspberry Pi Pico connected to the serial port on the PCB of the Clara. The button closes the circuit between the Pico and serial port so it only uses power when you press the button. On boot the Pico sends a serial signal, and a script on the Kobo triggers a fake tap on the screen when this signal is detected. It is this last script that gets paused.

My second option to get this button to work would tap into the Kobo detecting a USB cable. I can take a small USB power bank and add a switch to it, then use the power-detect script on the Kobo (which seems to work even when in this idle mode) to trigger the fake tap. I kept this as a backup option as 1) I'm not sure repeatedly powering the Kobo for just a second won't cause any harm to the device and 2) I read the usb port is pretty fragile (though I guess this could be overcome by soldering to the board itself).

Regarding the :500, I didn't realize it was a nameless argument. I see now it is mentioned in the docs as timeout (I was searching for '500' before, sorry).
Old 06-28-2021, 01:35 PM   #544
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by javl View Post
Weird, I posted a reply yesterday but when I went back to edit it, it disappeared.

This version of the button uses a Raspberry Pi Pico connected to the serial port on the PCB of the Clara. The button closes the circuit between the Pico and serial port so it only uses power when you press the button. On boot the Pico sends a serial signal, and a script on the Kobo triggers a fake tap on the screen when this signal is detected. It is this last script that gets paused.

My second option to get this button to work would tap into the Kobo detecting a USB cable. I can take a small USB power bank and add a switch to it, then use the power-detect script on the Kobo (which seems to work even when in this idle mode) to trigger the fake tap. I kept this as a backup option as 1) I'm not sure repeatedly powering the Kobo for just a second won't cause any harm to the device and 2) I read the usb port is pretty fragile (though I guess this could be overcome by soldering to the board itself).

Regarding the :500, I didn't realize it was a nameless argument. I see now it is mentioned in the docs as timeout (I was searching for '500' before, sorry).
Can you see post 541? I think I was seeing wonky behavior yesterday.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #545
ScottAA
ScottAA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ScottAA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ScottAA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ScottAA has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook Color
Has anyone gotten syncthing running this way? If so, any tips?
ScottAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #546
javl

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Can you see post 541? I think I was seeing wonky behavior yesterday.
I can now see both posts. While posting the second time I noticed a message flashing by for like a second, saying my message wouldn't appear until an admin approved it. It shows only for a split second so easy to miss. I guess that's why it was gone for a bit.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #547
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
On firmware 4.28.17925 the invert option in NM does not seem to work.
NM v0.5.2
config
#invert
menu_item:reader:Invert Screen:nickel_setting:toggle:invert

screen flashes briefly, then remains inverted.

I don't mind terribly because I prefer to read in inverted mode, but figured I'd see if there was a solution. I have patched my Forma, but the replace adobe page numbers w/ invert is not enabled. I can't think of anything that I would have done that would interfere with this, especially since I had to do a hardware factory reset (so everything was zapped) recently.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:03 PM   #548
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O & Forma
Given that 4.28 wasn't in fact released for the Forma yet, and introduced a Dark Mode that works completely differently on the Elipsa, I'm not terribly surprised about that .

I'd wait for the actual next Forma release before attempting any more guesses on that front... .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 09:48 PM   #549
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
From my testing, the "Invert Screen" setting is still on the Developers Option screen, but, just flashes the screen. I have experimented with the Dark Mode on other devices. It needs "DarkMode=true" in the "ReadingSettings" of the config file to turn it on. It works differently to the "Invert Screen" as it is only active when reading. And handle images without inverting them. The Elipsa has a waveform and other changes specifically for this. The waveform won't be on the older devices and won't be created in the future.

I don't use NickelMenu, but, if it has a way to toggle a config file setting, it can probably do it. Otherwise, add the option manually to see how it works.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 11:18 PM   #550
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
I have a WIP version here which can control DarkMode. I still need to figure out how to make it apply without reopening the reader.

I will look into InvertScreen later.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 01:59 PM   #551
Ymm
Ymm began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
My Kobo sees the config files as books

Hello,
My Kobo Glo HD shows my config files as books, is there a workaround for this?

Last edited by Ymm; 07-26-2021 at 02:02 PM.
Ymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 02:16 PM   #552
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I have a WIP version here which can control DarkMode. I still need to figure out how to make it apply without reopening the reader.

I will look into InvertScreen later.
How can I go about implementing this into use? I presume I’d have to compile NM from this
Old 07-26-2021, 02:26 PM   #553
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ymm View Post
Hello,
My Kobo Glo HD shows my config files as books, is there a workaround for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf should contain:
Code:
[FeatureSettings]
ExcludeSyncFolders=(\\.(?!kobo|adobe).+|([^.][^/]*/)+\\..+)
It will delete your NickelMenu config. So you should copy your config, reinstall NickelMenu, and copy back your config.

After you edit the .conf file and copy the NickelMenu config, you should reboot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #554
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
How can I go about implementing this into use? I presume I’d have to compile NM from this
If you have a GitHub account, you can access the artifacts list in the build (click the green checkmark). Otherwise, I've attached it here.
Attached Files
File Type: zip NickelMenu.zip (61.1 KB, 5 views)
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:46 PM   #555
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
If you have a GitHub account, you can access the artifacts list in the build (click the green checkmark). Otherwise, I've attached it here.
Many thanks, I suppose you already know it wont work from within the reader menu, but putting it in the main menu works. Figure I'd mention that just in case. In either case, I can now switch, which is handy to be able to do.

Tags
kobo, launcher, ldpreload, nickel