Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-29-2023, 01:57 PM   #1
sarahemmm
Happily retired s/w eng
sarahemmm began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Question Best options for sharing Calibre with household?

So I've been using Calibre on my laptop for a while and have a large library. I've been working on tags, genres and cleaning metadata, and reading books on MoonReader+ Pro on my tablet by connecting to the content server.

TIL that I can directly connect my tablet to Calibre on the laptop - sooo much easier!!

Now I'd like to share my library with my housemates. I don't want to leave the laptop on permanently, so I guess I need to move Calibre somewhere else. Right now we have a NAS attached to the router, and a (rather old) Windows desktop which could be used as a server. Or I could get another server...

Can someone point me to the right info for how/where to move Calibre? If it is on a server, do I just connect from my laptop browser to continue working on the data?

Sorry - not very bright old lady here
sarahemmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 02:13 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Calibre is not supposed to be used on a NAS or on a cloud server, this may corrupt the library. About the only safe way to share your Calibre library is the Calibre content server, but yes, this requires the host computer to be online.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
location, server, share