Notices

Old 08-22-2015, 04:01 AM   #1
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Paperwhite doesn't show some books

Hello!

I realised this morning that my Voyage doesn't show some of my sideloaded (Calibre, of course) books. Calibre shows them as present in Main. I try deleting them and adding them again - when I unplug the PW from the PC I can see them (randomly and not all) and even open them for a few seconds, but when I exit the book it disappears!

What kind of sorcery is this? Anyone can help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

Last edited by Gryzor; 08-25-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:18 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This happens when there is a file on your kindle that causes its indexer to crash. Unfortunately there is no way to know which file it is. So you have to delete everything and reload them one by one.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #3
Gryzor
Enthusiast

Ah damn, I thought it'd have something to do with the device's indexing procedure...

Ok, it's not that bad. Since I have many books on my PW among my much, much larger collection on PC/Calibre, is there a way to "backup" the collection I have on my PW so I can restore it afterwards?

Thanks for your reply and an awesome program man! I donated long ago, definitely deserves it...

T

PS Today I found out how to use Bookerly through Calibre. Yay!!!
Old 08-23-2015, 03:04 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
No need to back up collections, you Kindle will remember them (unless you do a factory reset ).
Good thing, as you need to be jailbroken to back them up.

If you know which books are the new ones, you can *just* delete and re-add those. file modification timestamps could be a good lead.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:16 AM   #5
Gryzor
Enthusiast

Hello eschwartz, thanks for your reply.

Not sure how "Kindle will remember" my books once I've deleted them, what exactly do you mean? Unless you mean the collections themselves as categories, which of course is not what I'm after (I only have a handful of easily remembered collections I can recreate, it's the multitutde of books that's the problem)...

As for your second suggestion, yes, I did delete and re-add the new books that pose the problem, as I mentioned in the OP, but the problem persists Hence kovidgoyal's suggestion that I deleted all of my books.
Advert
Old 08-23-2015, 04:22 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Kindle will remember a list of mobi-asin's mapped to collections from what I remember.

I haven't heard before of a situation where the indexer crashed so hard that all the working books had to be deleted too.
Old 08-23-2015, 04:25 AM   #7
Gryzor
Enthusiast

Regarding collections: Ah, I see, but that's no the problem as you see... (and I'm not even sure about that, Kindle warns me every time I add a sideloaded book to a collection that it will not be synced, but anyhow).

Just a thought, anyone knows where the index lies? Could I just copy the contents of my Voyage to the PC, reset it to factory defaults and then copy them back?
Old 08-24-2015, 05:19 PM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

(Collections will still be stored locally. )

The indexer is located in the filesystem at /var/local/cc.db; it is trivial to delete that file and have the Kindle re-index everything... assuming you are jailbroken!
Copying the documents folder to your computer, resetting to factory defaults, and copying them back will have the same effect, though much slower depending on how many books you had.

For completeness, copy:
Code:
documents/          #books
system/thumbnails/  #cover view thmbnails

Last edited by eschwartz; 08-25-2015 at 02:57 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-24-2015, 05:30 PM   #9
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Hello!

I realised this morning that my PW doesn't show some of my sideloaded (Calibre, of course) books. Calibre shows them as present in Main. I try deleting them and adding them again - when I unplug the PW from the PC I can see them (randomly and not all) and even open them for a few seconds, but when I exit the book it disappears!

What kind of sorcery is this? Anyone can help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks!
I've had this problem, but with only with a half dozen of one author's books. I ended up deleting the books from the Kindle then manually adding them to the Kindle's document folder. Oddly, many of the author's other books are not affected by this glitch.

Jim
Strether is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 02:36 AM   #10
Gryzor
Enthusiast

Thanks for your help guys!

Wow, how stupid am I? This is a Voyage, not a PW, and therefore not jailbroken! I was confusing it with my significant other's PW. How stupid...

Anyhow, so, eschwartz, it's not jailrboken and therefore I can't re-index, bummer. But thanks for the tip! So, I'm going with the copy-to-PC way. I'll have to redownload bought books from Amazon I guess.

@Strether: yeah, it's the same for me, the books are from one author and many others do appear fine. Funny thing, I even changed the metadata for a problematic title and it still wouldn't appear in my books on Voyage!
Old 08-26-2015, 05:02 AM   #11
Gryzor
Enthusiast

Sigh...

So, I reset my Voyage, in the process the software was updated as well (yeah!), downloaded my bought ebooks, sideloaded my local files and... the same books are missing again!!! I can see the files on the Kindle, Calibre reports them as well, but I can only get a glimpse before losing them on the Kindle!

I've even tried sending the docx file AND a .mobi (after I converted it) to my Kindle address, and they won't download...

What mystery is this?

Last edited by Gryzor; 08-26-2015 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:18 AM   #12
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

I don't know what else can be suggested without one of the books.

Maybe you could submit a bug report http://calibre-ebook.com/bugs
You did say the books were created through a calibre conversion? calibre-converted books should not have this problem.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:42 AM   #13
Gryzor
Enthusiast

After all, for one of my books it worked by sending a .mobi conversion to my Kindle email (.docx didn't work, also tried .txt but I think Kindle doesn't support that). Today will try the other one that I know is failing.

The initial conversions were all done with Calibre - it's the only tool I use. Though the .mobi I sent myself was done with some other tool (sorry, forget which one, tried a few). Today I'll try the other one that I know is failing.

If you want to check, just for curiosity's sake, I can send you the files privately. But thanks for trying to help, much appreciated