Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-10-2024, 03:14 PM   #9361
RuberFF
RuberFF began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Is there a way to stop Calibre from automatically converting files into MOBI when I send them to the kindle? I already put the default format to EPUB but some fanfictions still won't get updated even if I choose to update calibre metadata
RuberFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 05:16 PM   #9362
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
New Test Version Posted

2023-03-10
- adapter_deviantartcom: Add another way to remove comments section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader1337 View Post
Story with comments:
https://www.deviantart.com/dearpoetr...etry-367984693

Story without comments (When I accessed it at least):
https://www.deviantart.com/illustrat...Win-1018949124
deviantart has some complex HTML which varies a bit by story age.

I've added code that removes more variants of the comments section and it works with the stories I've tried, but I don't read deviantart, so that's a pretty small test set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader1337 View Post
Get story URLs from webpage (Expected: ~73, Actual: 10):
https://www.deviantart.com/dearpoetr...943/old-poetry
The 'Get story URLs from webpage' feature is deliberately very general and only knows how to read <a> tags out of HTML on that page.

The HTML the site gives FFF for that URL only contains 10 story URLs because it is dividing the full list into pages of 10 links each.

You may not be seeing the pages in your browser, depending on your cookies/settings for the site--I was seeing the full list as first in browser before clearing site cookies.

As a work around, you can select text in the browser page and copy/paste or drag/drop it into the 'Story URLs' box of FFF's 'Download from URLs' dialog and FFF will pick out the story URLs. FYI, there may be clipboard sizes applied that still prevent getting a whole page at once.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2024, 05:25 PM   #9363
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuberFF View Post
Is there a way to stop Calibre from automatically converting files into MOBI when I send them to the kindle? I already put the default format to EPUB but some fanfictions still won't get updated even if I choose to update calibre metadata
Personally, I have Calibre set to convert to azw3 by default (Calibre Preferences > Behavior > Preferred output format) and use the FFF feature 'Automatically Convert new/updated books'.

If you already have a Kindle format like azw3, Calibre should send that instead of mobi.

And as I recall, you can configure what format Calibre will convert to automatically for a specific device, but I think you have to have the device plugged in at the time to change it?

Not sure what you mean saying "some fanfictions still won't get updated".

I will point out when FFF says 'calibre metadata', it means the library columns, not the ebook format files. So if you do 'Update Calibre Metadata from Web Site' that specifically means only update the Calibre columns and not to change the epub.
Old 03-10-2024, 08:45 PM   #9364
bigwoof
Connoisseur
bigwoof began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 32G
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post

Grab the latest test version.
The latest test version? I am using that. all that appears to do is move the modals to the end of the task when the report comes out. that still stops any other tasks running.

Am I missing another version that turns this off?

Thanks!
bigwoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 09:01 PM   #9365
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoof View Post
The latest test version? I am using that. all that appears to do is move the modals to the end of the task when the report comes out. that still stops any other tasks running.

Am I missing another version that turns this off?
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	18
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	206835

If you are talking about the "Proceed with updating your library?" dialog, that is something Calibre requires (or at least strongly suggests) for plugins updating metadata. It's not modal, you can do other stuff before telling it Yes/No.

Otherwise, I don't think you have latest test version of FFF.
Advert
Old 03-10-2024, 09:20 PM   #9366
bigwoof
Connoisseur

Quote:

Otherwise, I don't think you have latest test version of FFF.
I'm clearly not explaining it well enough.. apologies!!

where are these errors coming from and how do I turn them off? they appear after clicking yes on the box you posted a picture off.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-03-11 091729.png
Views:	58
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	206836  

Last edited by bigwoof; 03-10-2024 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 10:00 PM   #9367
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2023-03-10
- adapter_deviantartcom: Add another way to remove comments section.
- Don't try to set imap tags before checking for 'good' update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwoof View Post
I'm clearly not explaining it well enough.. apologies!!

where are these errors coming from and how do I turn them off? they appear after clicking yes on the box you posted a picture off.
That was a previously masked error related to adding tags specifically for IMAP downloads.

I won't be hugely surprised if more issues like this come to light.

In future, posting the error message helps considerably with troubleshooting.
Old 03-11-2024, 12:36 AM   #9368
bigwoof
Connoisseur

Quote:
New Test Version Posted

2023-03-10
- Don't try to set imap tags before checking for 'good' update.
Thanks! I wanted to wait till I got an error before posting (to confirm that it worked) but no errors yet.. will observe over the rest of the week.

*UPDATE* and an error triggered right after I posted this (one of those annoying chrome cache misses). no more popups! Thanks!
Old 03-14-2024, 10:05 AM   #9369
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

New Test Version Posted

2023-03-14
- New site Japanese language site kakuyomu.jp, thanks praschke
Old 03-14-2024, 07:15 PM   #9370
cantper
cantper began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hey JimmXinu, thanks for your work on this wonderful plugin.

I just wanted to let you know the latest version has been causing issues with updating stories as a batch. I like to update a bunch of stories at once, but now it's constantly showing a pop up if any story has an error. So I have to manually press "OK" on each and every pop up in order to progress the batch update.

Also it seems to be showing error messages for stories which did not have errors on my previous version (I think it was 2 updates old). It appears all the errors are happening on Questionable Questing, besides some errors for Royal Road deleted stories (which did show as an error on previous version, just no discrete pop up).

Here are the error messages of each type:

Moderator Notice

First error log removed by mod due to NSFW links.

Spoiler:

calibre, version 7.1.0
ERROR: Error Updating Metadata: <p>An error has occurred while FanFicFare was updating calibre's metadata for <a href='https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/65985'>Supersize Island</a>.</p>

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\fetchers\fetcher_requests.p y", line 128, in request
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\requests\models.py", line 943, in raise_for_status
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 404 Client Error: Not Found for url: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/65...persize-island

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\adapters\base_adapter.py", line 325, in getStoryMetadataOnly
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\adapters\base_adapter.py", line 429, in doExtractChapterUrlsAndMetadata
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\adapters\adapter_royalroadc om.py", line 163, in extractChapterUrlsAndMetadata
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\requestable.py", line 119, in get_request
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\requestable.py", line 111, in get_request_redirected
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\fetchers\base_fetcher.py", line 133, in get_request_redirected
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\fetchers\cache_basic.py", line 122, in fetcher_do_request
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\fetchers\decorators.py", line 102, in fetcher_do_request
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\fetchers\base_fetcher.py", line 106, in do_request
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\fetchers\fetcher_requests.p y", line 149, in request
fanficfare.exceptions.HTTPErrorFFF: HTTP Error in FFF '404 Client Error: Not Found for url: https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/65...sland'(404)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "calibre_plugins.fanficfare_plugin.dialogs", line 715, in do_loop
File "calibre_plugins.fanficfare_plugin.fff_plugin" , line 1356, in prep_download_loop
File "calibre_plugins.fanficfare_plugin.fff_plugin" , line 1236, in get_story_metadata_only
File "C:\Users\asdg\AppData\Roaming\calibre\plugins\Fan FicFare.zip\fanficfare\adapters\base_adapter.py", line 328, in getStoryMetadataOnly
fanficfare.exceptions.StoryDoesNotExist: Story does not exist: (https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/65985)

Last edited by JimmXinu; 03-14-2024 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Remove NSFW links.
cantper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 08:12 PM   #9371
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Yeah, I found there was a code path where too many errors were being discarded.

The last release went a bit too far reporting them. The latest posted test version attempts to strike a better balance.

As for those errors themselves, the first appears to be missing login (use always_login:true) and for the second, a removed story.

FYI, MobileRead doesn't want NSFW links. I've removed your first error log for you.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:51 PM   #9372
cantper
cantper began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks. Is there a way to disable the error reporting pop ups? or to just show them on the final log accessible on the Calibre bottom right pop (Yes/No/View Log or something like that)?
cantper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 10:43 PM   #9373
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantper View Post
Thanks. Is there a way to disable the error reporting pop ups? or to just show them on the final log accessible on the Calibre bottom right pop (Yes/No/View Log or something like that)?
Did you install the test version? That should do it. Link in my signature below.
Old 03-16-2024, 04:48 PM   #9374
grampakrampus
grampakrampus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
I apologize if this has been asked already but is it possible to download fic in every format available, rather than choosing one output format? I know you can convert within Calibre but it'd be great to be able to just grab the .epub, .html and .pdf, especially in bulk.
grampakrampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 05:11 PM   #9375
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by grampakrampus View Post
I apologize if this has been asked already but is it possible to download fic in every format available, rather than choosing one output format? I know you can convert within Calibre but it'd be great to be able to just grab the .epub, .html and .pdf, especially in bulk.
No, FanFicFare only outputs to one format at a time. Nor can FFF output pdf.

What is your use case?

I highly recommend downloading to epub and converting to other formats as needed. That's what I do, and I use a Kindle with azw3 as my primary reader.

I would investigate using Action Chains to queue up conversions to different formats

Tags
fanfiction