Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 06-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #166
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
For those interested in iDevices, Apple just cut the pricing of its 5th Gen iPod touch
  • 16GB -- $230 --> $199
  • 32GB -- $299 --> $249
  • 64GB -- $399 --> $299

They're still overpriced, considering the technology is 3 years old - Apple A5 SOC and only 512MB RAM. They also gave the 16GB model a rear camera. The iPt5 was released in Oct 2012 and is due for a refresh this year.

Release Dates
  • iPod touch 1 -- Sep 2007
  • iPod touch 2 -- Sep 2008
  • iPod touch 3 -- Sep 2009
  • iPod touch 4 -- Sep 2010
  • iPod touch 5 -- Oct 2012

Quote:
The move comes as the tech titan recently reported that its revenue from iPod slid to $461 million from $962 million in the March quarter from a year earlier.

The iPod, which Apple launched in 2001 to much fanfare, is now one of the lowest contributors to the company's top line as many customers use iPads and iPhones to host their music libraries.

Apple's revenue from iPods, which come in other models such as iPod shuffle and iPod classic, accounted for about 1% of its total $45.65 billion revenue during that period. It sold 2.76 million iPod units, down from 5.63 million a year earlier.
tubemonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #167
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
BTW, if it is like the Fuze, if you have a CD you can rip it into a file and it will play it, full quality. It just takes up a lot more room. That is 80 CDs worth on one 64GB card.
MrMikel, thanks for this tip! I didn't know that was possible, and will definitely give it a try. It would be immensely valuable to me to have the better audio quality file playable, since my job dictates that I'm sometimes using music as an analytical tool (not for just listening enjoyment).
Kent E
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #168
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
The only downside if you're a former Apple user: No ALAC. If you have numerous ALAC files, you'll have to convert them to FLAC.
Last I'd heard ALAC was supported on Rockbox.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:01 AM   #169
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
For those interested in iDevices, Apple just cut the pricing of its 5th Gen iPod touch
  • 16GB -- $230 --> $199
  • 32GB -- $299 --> $249
  • 64GB -- $399 --> $299

They're still overpriced, considering the technology is 3 years old - Apple A5 SOC and only 512MB RAM. They also gave the 16GB model a rear camera. The iPt5 was released in Oct 2012 and is due for a refresh this year.

Release Dates
  • iPod touch 1 -- Sep 2007
  • iPod touch 2 -- Sep 2008
  • iPod touch 3 -- Sep 2009
  • iPod touch 4 -- Sep 2010
  • iPod touch 5 -- Oct 2012
They now actually offer the 16 GB version (cheapest Touch) in the same slim colorful body as the other ones, instead of the 2010 version they were still selling. I have a droolworthy 5th gen one that I really like, though it does not get as much use as my Android phone or iPad. I wish their Nanos came with iOS on them, so I could install Audible and Overdrive on a tiny device that I can run with. Phones are too darn big these days.

Last edited by xendula; 06-27-2014 at 01:05 AM.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:06 AM   #170
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentE View Post
It would be immensely valuable to me to have the better audio quality file playable, since my job dictates that I'm sometimes using music as an analytical tool (not for just listening enjoyment).
Kent E
The purpose of FLAC is to give you CD-quality files that take up less space than standard lossless formats. You can rip to FLAC whether the Clip Zip's options are the same as those of the Fuze or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Last I'd heard ALAC was supported on Rockbox.
I believe it depends on which device you're using with Rockbox. I assumed that ALAC would be playable as well, but I haven't had any consistent luck using Rockbox 3.1.3 (the latest version for the Clip Zip) even though the manual lists that format ("Apple Lossless .m4a, .mp4"). The files usually skip or don't play at all, and I've been able to test them with other devices (one of the many advantages of a removable mSD).

FLAC files seem much more reliable so far.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 06-27-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2014, 06:42 PM   #171
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I wish their Nanos came with iOS on them, so I could install Audible and Overdrive on a tiny device that I can run with. Phones are too darn big these days.
I've often thought the same thing; except for the running bit. I like the idea of a very small streaming audio player - Audible, OverDrive, AOL Radio, TuneIn Radio, Amazon Music, FM, etc.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #172
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I've often thought the same thing; except for the running bit. I like the idea of a very small streaming audio player - Audible, OverDrive, AOL Radio, TuneIn Radio, Amazon Music, FM, etc.
Count me in. I greatly prefer to listen to audiobooks via the Audible/OverDrive/SmarterPlayer apps, so I can bump up the speed.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #173
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I wish their Nanos came with iOS on them, so I could install Audible and Overdrive on a tiny device that I can run with. Phones are too darn big these days.
iPods will play Audible files with the built-in firmware, no need for a separate app.

You just have to add your existing Audible files to iTunes and sync them--you do not need to make the Audible purchase through Apple.

For Overdrive (DRM'ed WMA files), the Windows software will let you convert the files to AAC and put them on your iPod, but only if the iPod is set to "manually manage music." I haven't found a way to do it with a Mac, but I haven't tried on the last three years, either.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #174
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
iPods will play Audible files with the built-in firmware, no need for a separate app.

You just have to add your existing Audible files to iTunes and sync them--you do not need to make the Audible purchase through Apple.

For Overdrive (DRM'ed WMA files), the Windows software will let you convert the files to AAC and put them on your iPod, but only if the iPod is set to "manually manage music." I haven't found a way to do it with a Mac, but I haven't tried on the last three years, either.
Thanks, but we're aware of that. What we want is the ability to stream, buy, borrow, and download content directly from a Nano and totally bypassing a computer in the process. I'd love to pull out a Nano, tap the OverDrive app, borrow a library book, download it and then listen to it.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #175
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
then you'd need wifi... and that would make it cost more... and soon a touch would be cheaper
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #176
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorfindel View Post
then you'd need wifi... and that would make it cost more... and soon a touch would be cheaper
They're cheap. Besides, the nano is already overpriced. No need to raise it higher.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #177
teija
Gadget fiend
teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teija ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite 2021, Sony PRS-350
For any Canadians in the market for a Kobo Aura, Staples.ca is currently showing them on sale for $109.96 here.
teija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #178
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Today only, current Kindle Paperwhite $85. Certified refurbished. Good deal! Amazon.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:43 AM   #179
jscarbo
Addict
jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jscarbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW2, Nook HD+, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Today only, current Kindle Paperwhite $85. Certified refurbished. Good deal! Amazon.
This is a great deal for anyone interested. I suspect they'll sell out before the end of the day so, if you want one, grab it quickly. I ordered mine and it's scheduled for delivery on Thursday. Amazon certified reburbished Kindles come with the same one year warranty and free 30 day return as do the new ones. I've bought several in the past and all have been in new condition.
jscarbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #180
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Must Resist! Must Resist!
I have waited this long, I KNOW I can wait for the new model to come out in a couple months........
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote