Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 01-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
wwpierre
Enthusiast
wwpierre began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
What is the potential?

I bought a Kobo Vox for my wife, who reads voraciously. I can watch You Tube videos, but it seems there is lots of other stuff it could do. For instance, can I download free e-books directly from the Gutenberg Project? What about using it to listen to I-Tunes? What about audio-books? can it handle them?

After I bought it, I read some disappointing reviews, but looking around this forum has heartened me.

Not looking for instructions at the moment, that will come later, just asking about the potential.

As mentioned in my intro post, I want to understand Android, and this device, as well as I understand Windows on my PC.

Last edited by wwpierre; 01-14-2012 at 10:01 PM.
wwpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #2
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpierre View Post
For instance, can I download free e-books directly from the Gutenberg Project? What about using it to listen to I-Tunes? What about audio-books? can it handle them?
1. Gutenberg: no problem. Use the vox's browser to download the epub version and then import into the kobo reader app.

2. Itunes: Do you mean music in general or connect to itunes on your pc or purchase from ITMS? Music in general is no problem but the answer depends on file formats and more specifically whether drm is involved.

3. Audiobooks: same as above. Audiobooks are just audio files, again the answer to your question depends on format and drm. Protected wma will be a problem. I notice there is an audible app for android. Mp3 is obviously no problem.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 04:14 AM   #3
wwpierre
Enthusiast

Thanks. I've been poking around and found Ambling books, and the app for downloading and listening. (my first app).

When downloading, there is a little icon in the top left corner of the screen; a set of earphones with an arrow, pointing down. I am assuming that will disappear as soon as the book being downloaded is finished. Seems to take a long time. Is there a way to monitor progress?

Is there an android equivalent to Windows Explorer which will graphically show me the file structure? That would be a real help in understanding this gizmo.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 AM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
File managers mentioned in the forum are Astro and ES Explorer. You have to add them from a third party site. Google the name with "apk" or "direct download"

And yes, audio books are long to load...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #5
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
When downloading, there is a little icon in the top left corner of the screen; a set of earphones with an arrow, pointing down. I am assuming that will disappear as soon as the book being downloaded is finished. Seems to take a long time. Is there a way to monitor progress?
You can pull down the status bar to view progress. Download icons will hang around once the download is completed unless you clear them (when you pull down the status bar, you will see the clear notifications button).
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
wwpierre
Enthusiast

Thanks, fellas. This little toy is amazing, and continues to amaze and delight as I gain more insight through my own explorations and your kind coaching.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
yes, well, I've been using it since the end of October and am still learning...Android OS is very different from iOS...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
wwpierre
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can pull down the status bar to view progress.
It's amazing how these few words have advanced my quest.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #9
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Quote:
Is there an android equivalent to Windows Explorer which will graphically show me the file structure? That would be a real help in understanding this gizmo.
I don't know if it will give you all the access you're looking for but I have side loaded Dolphin browser onto my Vox after having some trouble with the default browser that comes preloaded on the Vox.

I find Dolphin operates more like a real internet browser and less like an app. Most website also show a link where you can view the "full site" and not the mobile site - I have not noticed this with the preloaded Vox bowser.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote