Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #1
Kuggie
Edge User

Question Another potential buyer.

Hello all,

I realize there are a lot of posts about potential buyers in these forums so hopefully one more will be okay. I just wanted to get everyones opinions on a couple things.

I am currently an undergraduate student entering my final year of Biochemistry. Most of my classes have unprotected PDF files for their lecture notes. I plan to go on into graduate studies which means I am going to be reading a lot of PDF format journal articles.

I have been reading through these forums for a few weeks now and realize that a lot of this I don't understand. I am a programming noob . 95% of the acronyms used, and the apps talked about. Yes, I've tried googling most of those topics, but there is only so much you can learn from google. I have never used an android system before, been a windows fan all my life. I am a little worried that I will have troubles using the android interface. Is there anyone here who hasn't used an android system before the Edge, like me?

I am really interested in an Edge because I feel it will be hugely beneficial to me. I love the idea of a dualbook, and I have always wanted some form of tablet PC just haven't found one I liked. I love the idea of being able to take notes directly on the edge and not have to carry around a huge binder. My binder by the end of one semester is thicker then the edge, and thats ignoring the 4 to 5 textbooks I would have. I still plan to get paper textbooks but it would be nice to have all my notes compiled in one spot (and to save some of those trees).

My main worries are that I won't be able to use the Edge to its fullest capabilities because I don't understand the programming side and the work-arounds for apps. I was curious if anybody had problems with that or if the work arounds are relatively simple? I see the awesome community on these forums and all the help they give so I expect to be making a lot of posts when I get the Edge.

When you edit a PDF on the e-reader side does it lose its PDF format? I thought I read somewhere that it became a picture or maybe I'm just making things up...

I love Entourage's customer support. I haven't had personal dealings but I haven't seen a negative comment about them. As well that they seem to check and post on the forums on a regular basis, so I would really like to support a new company with that kind of attitude. However my last main worry is on the fact that it is a new start up company. There seem to be several glitches and several simple tweaks that could make the Edge better (enabling eraser support on e-ink side) that keep coming up. I was wondering if Edge owners had seen these concerns addressed over time? If glitches that bothered them a month ago had been fixed over time. I understand that they're a small company and doing what they can I'm just curious to people's opinions.

Only a slight worry, but I have heard that there is a new product of sort coming out this summer (good old facebook). I'm thinking I should wait to hear what that is but I do want the edge before september so I can get used to it before school comes around. I do plan on picking it up June or July (a red one, unless an orange one is their announcement ). I wasn't sure if anybody had any guesses as to what it may be.

Thanks for taking the time to read my ramblings,
Kuggie

Old 05-12-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
sarah11918
Edge User

I had also never used Android before, and I don't perform nearly as many "hacks" as some people here, and it's not a problem for me. All I wanted to be able to do was add a Twitter client, an IM app, a better browser and a few games. Otherwise, I pretty much use the machine as-is. I haven't even tried using docs to go yet (which is included) because all I cared about was handwriting notes and annotations.

Advert
Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
///Maui
Edge User

Well I was going to respond, but I couldn't have said it better than Borisb. And yes, new updates are always being worked on and tested to improve functionality!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #4
Eddy R
Edge User

Terrific summary of potentional buyers conerns. Great perspective and evaluation of both enTourage and eDGe.
Have extracted and converted question and answer as pdf on eDGe for persons with the interest and knowledge of Kuggie (& myself).
Highly recommend enTourage do the same on Forum home page.
...Thank you!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #5
sjarrel
Edge User

Wink

What a beautifull summary by Borisb. Many people mentioned before: Boris rocks. What is the superlative degree to that? (English is not my native language): dubble-rock? In that case: Boris, you triple rock!:
As I wrote before my Edge is still in the USA. I will have to wait till the end of May to get it in The Netherlands. Reading the posts every day I also was worried about some (technical) things. But Boris (and many others btw) saved my night's rest. Thanks!

Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
Kuggie
Edge User

3G isn't a huge deal but I was thinking if it's coming out the this summer anyways I might as well wait another month or so. But if you can just use a USB key maybe I'll have to speed my purchasing time table up.

Thank you so much for the fast and very in depth reply. I think all I have to do is wait for a couple more pay-cheques then will have to pick an Edge up.

Old 05-17-2010, 11:19 AM   #7
Kuggie
Edge User

Sorry, just a few more questions I've thought up.

From looking at the Edge I don't think it has a fan (correct me if I'm wrong). Has anyone experienced any overheating problems when using it for prolonged times?

Also, I plan to use the E-ink side in class to take notes. This means flipping it completely open (LCD facing one way, E-ink facing out the other) so when I put it on the table the LCD side would be on the table. I am just worried about the table scratching the LCD screen. Any ideas or has anyone had any problems with that?

Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
edgelover
Edge User

Before the edge I had never used an android device and like many others was a little apprehensive with spending so much on a new company that people don't know much about. I will be absolutely honest though, I am glad I did. The customer service alone is a jewel. They are there and available and return your emails. I haven't experienced any over heating and the issues that we had in the beginning were fixed with the first three patches. They are also pretty quick with updates, its been out three months we have had 3 patches and will have our first major update by the end of the month much quicker. If you want this for entertainment purposes wyou may be better getting an ipad for apps, but if you want an educational, business, as well as a music, and video player then the Edge is for you. Hey do you all think they are hiring for advertising lol. No seriously this is a great device.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #9
Kuggie
Edge User

Thanks everyone for replying so quickly. Couple more questions and I think I will fill out my purchase order tonight.

Anyone know what the resoltuion on the camera is?

For any Canadians out there, did you have to pay any extra to clear customs?

Last edited by Kuggie; 05-18-2010 at 02:22 PM.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM   #10
aidren
Edge User

Customs

As for me, I live close to the border and had mine shipped to a US receiver which substantially reduced the shipping. The receiver only charged 2.40. But when I brought through the border I was charged gst and pst, which brought the cost pretty much up to what I would have paid for shipping to Canada.

I did ask entourage if they had customs and brokerage fees included and they said no. So it seems that the people that had it shipped directly, lucked out with whoever was making the decisions at the Canadian Border Services that day.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 PM   #11
Kuggie
Edge User

Just filled out my order. Thank you for everyone's help.

Hope it makes it here by the end of the week!

Old 05-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #12
sjarrel
Edge User

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
What a beautifull summary by Borisb. Many people mentioned before: Boris rocks. What is the superlative degree to that? (English is not my native language): dubble-rock? In that case: Boris, you triple rock!:
As I wrote before my Edge is still in the USA. I will have to wait till the end of May to get it in The Netherlands. Reading the posts every day I also was worried about some (technical) things. But Boris (and many others btw) saved my night's rest. Thanks!
Two weeks later: I have got my eDGe this morning (Schiphol Airport) and I love it and I think it loves me too. Everything seams to work. Knock on wood: I am very happy!