Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2009, 04:16 AM   #1
nathancabopino
nathancabopino began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Calibre won't start

Hi this is my first post and feel free to call me stupid or ridiculous but when I try to open Calibre it asks me to select a location for my ebook library which I do then nothing else happens and when I click on it again to try and restart it I get a message saying Cannot Start Calibre because Calibre is already running. It is running in task manager but no program comes up.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

P.S. I run Windows Vista

nathancabopino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:18 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If there a Calibre icon in the SysTray at the bottom right? If so you might be able to right-click and select restore.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
nathancabopino

Hi no thre isn't an icon it just asks me to select a location which I do and then does nothing but when I try again, it just says it's already running. Even my computer won't recognise the program with its logo in control panel, like for other programs.

I really don't know and it's driving me MAD!!!

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Try disabling your antivirus temporarily and see if that allows calibre to start
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
nathancabopino

No still not working SO ANNOYING!!! I have about a thousand .lit files I need to convert to read on my sony reader
Advert
Old 06-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Reboot your computer. If it's still not working, reboot agian, uninstall Calibre, redownload it to make sure you have an uncorrupted file, and reinstall it.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 PM   #7
ht1948
ht1948 doesn't litterht1948 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm having the same problem as OP. Calibre won't start at all, it asked me for the library folder and then nothing happened. I've tried all the resolutions posted on here as well as in the FAQ. I've run the debugger command and got this msg:

link hasn't been detected.

Please help
ht1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:30 AM   #8
csf
csf began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Was there any solution found to this? I'm having exactly the same problem (Vista Home Premium). Calibre installs, but doesn't create a desktop icon even if that option is selected. When I run Cabire from the start menu, it asks for the folder location of the eBook library, and then goes no futher. "calibre.exe" appears in the 'Processes' list of the Task Manager and is using >50% of the CPU. But no GUI. Stays like this until I end the process in Task Manager.

I've also tried all the suggestions in the FAQs, including running everything as administrator and turning off any antivirus programs. I get the same message as ht1948 from the command line debugger: "link hasn't been detected".

Thanks.
csf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only way that ths can happen that I know of is for an antivirus program to be blocking calibre.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:51 AM   #10
trektech
trektech began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Nexus One, Nikon D700, Smartq V7
i have a problem with calibre. the error tells me:

ERROR: Unhandled exception

'pubdate'
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\library.pyo", line 556, in headerData
KeyError: 'pubdate'

using my laptop, I never encountered this error only when I installed calibre on my PC

I really need help about this.. thanks...

IM running on Vista Home Premium...

Last edited by trektech; 06-29-2009 at 11:55 AM.
trektech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Did you try installing the 0.6 beta at some point? That error can only happen in the 0.6 series.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:14 PM   #12
trektech

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Did you try installing the 0.6 beta at some point? That error can only happen in the 0.6 series.
yes.. what will i do?
Old 06-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Uninstall. Delete the metadata.db file in your calibre ebooks folder and re-install 0.5
Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 AM   #14
trektech

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Uninstall. Delete the metadata.db file in your calibre ebooks folder and re-install 0.5

ok thanks. I will try later once I reached home..
Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 AM   #15
trektech

Still not working, tried to install and uninstall te beta then install the 0.5. now i get this same error