Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-10-2017, 06:16 AM   #1
Leonardo77
Leonardo77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Create an e-book with Devanagari characters

Hi to all! This is my first message! Sorry for my bad English, but I'm Italian!
I do not know if this is the right section, if I'm wrong I apologize!

I'm trying to create an e-book (in English) with Devanagari characters.
I've transformed the individual letters into their unicode (thanks to this wonderful site: https://unicode-table.com/en/), so I do not have to use a Sanskrit font.
The book was edited with InDesign and from this I created a first e-book draft.
I have some questions:

Initially, I created the E-book using the font "Time New Roman". Because this book will be sold, I've read that this font is copyrighted and I've changed it.
Someone advised me to use these fonts: "Charis SIL" or "Noto San" because they are similar to "Time New Roman" but do not have copyright issues.
Can someone confirm it (the "freedom" from copyright, I mean)?
I've sent the ebook to a number of friends and they do not seem to have any big problems viewing it. Since I wanted to try it on most devices as possible, I have included beneath the links to a small draft (more than the words in Devanagari): if anyone can try to open and visualize it, it would make me a favor (and make me happy! ).
I'm also including a PDF file to see how the text should be displayed.

Here version with Charis SIL: ePub and PDF
Here version with Noto Sans: ePub and PDF

Thank you very very very much!!!
Leonardo
Leonardo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
Leonardo77
Leonardo77 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi to all!
Nobody can help me?
Please...
Leonardo
Leonardo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #3
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The authorized uses for any of your fonts should be listed on the webpage where you got them. I would recommend checking there.

Cheers,
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:37 PM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo77 View Post
Hi to all! This is my first message! Sorry for my bad English, but I'm Italian!
I do not know if this is the right section, if I'm wrong I apologize!

I'm trying to create an e-book (in English) with Devanagari characters.
I've transformed the individual letters into their unicode (thanks to this wonderful site: https://unicode-table.com/en/), so I do not have to use a Sanskrit font.
The book was edited with InDesign and from this I created a first e-book draft.
I have some questions:

Initially, I created the E-book using the font "Time New Roman". Because this book will be sold, I've read that this font is copyrighted and I've changed it.
Someone advised me to use these fonts: "Charis SIL" or "Noto San" because they are similar to "Time New Roman" but do not have copyright issues.
Can someone confirm it (the "freedom" from copyright, I mean)?
I've sent the ebook to a number of friends and they do not seem to have any big problems viewing it. Since I wanted to try it on most devices as possible, I have included beneath the links to a small draft (more than the words in Devanagari): if anyone can try to open and visualize it, it would make me a favor (and make me happy! ).
I'm also including a PDF file to see how the text should be displayed.

Here version with Charis SIL: ePub and PDF
Here version with Noto Sans: ePub and PDF

Thank you very very very much!!!
Leonardo
I've looked at both versions on your post using my Sony ebook reader.

With the Charis SIL font there seem to be many diacritics both above and below the devengari text - of course I don't know whether they should be there or not.

With the Noto Sans font there are _many_ question marks scattered throughout the text.

I've downloaded the files, and will check them on my Windows 10 computer, again using the Sony reader, and will get back to you with the results.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
On my Kobo Glo with the latest firmware, both versions look good I didn't see an missing characters. I have attached screenshots of the first page from both versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Devanagari-CharisSIL.png
Views:	233
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	156721   Click image for larger version

Name:	Devanagari-NotoSans.png
Views:	244
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	156722  
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert