Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #1
doron
Connoisseur
doron began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
Koreader failing to start

When I turn on my Kobo Aura I get the KSM menu but when I click on the koreader option I see the message "opening <my current book>" but then nothing happen and I stay on the same menu. Btw Nickel loads Ok.
How can I fix this issue?
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Does this happen with other books/documents? You may have to use Notepad++, (or another editor that handles Linux scripts properly) to change your defaults.lua entry:
KOBO_SCREEN_SAVER_LAST_BOOK = true, to false. So that you can get past where you are now. You have KOReader starting and trying to load a book, so it is not KSM or how the KOReader startup is set to work.

It would be helpful if you supplied the Version of KOReader that you are on and if there is something new that might need to be considered, any recent changes/updates/hacks?

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
doron
Connoisseur

I've done that but the koreader still tries to open this book and doesn't start (strange).
I use KSM 08 2015.10.27 (Is there a point to update it if it's possible?).
Before happened I read the book without any problems and I didn't change anything.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
What does KOReader's crash log says (it should be located in koreader's main folder)?

That vaguely sounds like corrupted history or sidecar or settings, there's a couple of reports on GH with workarounds.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #5
doron
Connoisseur

it says only: Segmentation fault
Advert
Old 06-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have a "defaults.persistent.lua" you need to change that as well.

KSM is not likely involved. Your KOReader version is in the "git-rev" file.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-11-2016, 10:04 AM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On start? That'd be new - and potentially interesting, see https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/1974

Save your full koreader folder before trying any fix, we may need it to replicate your issue.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:14 AM   #8
doron
Connoisseur

I don't have a "defaults.persistent.lua" .
As I've said this is KSM 08 2015.10.27, in the git-rev it appears as v2015.11-stable.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:18 AM   #9
doron
Connoisseur

I've saved the folder (140M)
It's so large maybe b/c I've put the dict files twice because I didn't know where to put them, in
g:\.kobo\dict\ and in
g:\.kobo\koreader\data\dict\
Which is the wrong place?
Old 06-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #10
Ken Maltby
Wizard

If you are just reading the book, and don't have highlights or bookmarks you want to save, you could try deleting the book's "history" folder entry and any SDR folder for the book, as well as the book's file. After saving a copy of the book file, if that is your only one.

Luck;
Ken
Old 06-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
doron
Connoisseur

Only removing the book solved the problem. (and then I could add it and read it again)
You are simply great!!

Just one question - where should the dict files go -
in g:\.kobo\dict\ or in g:\.kobo\koreader\data\dict\ ?
Old 06-11-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
Ken Maltby
Wizard

The dict files or folders go in koreader\data\dict\ for KOReader. KOReader uses dictionary files in the Stardict format. The /.kobo/dict/ location is for the stock Kobo software, and they use their own dictionary format, as I understand it. I don't think the two are compatible.

I am still using KSM7.4 and have my koreader folder in /.adds/, I am not sure where KSM8 has it's files, and file references anymore.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 06-11-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:23 PM   #13
doron
Connoisseur

thanks again!