Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-22-2010, 12:47 AM   #1
cancan
cancan began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
Haodoo Chinese Ebooks on KOBO

Hi,

Just in case there is anyone who is having problems getting Haodoo Chinese Ebooks on the KOBO, these are steps to take to get them onto the KOBO.

First, you need Calibre to do conversion.
Install Calibre.
Then go to this site to download Haodoo plugin for Calibre,
instructions on how to install the plugin are also on the site:
http://kanru.github.com/calibre-haodoo/

You will also need winzip or winrar program to open the epub files.

Next, go to Haodoo to download the ebooks in PDB format.
Add these PDB ebooks into Calibre library.
Then convert these PDB into the EPUB format.
And then locate the EPUB format ebooks by right clicking on the ebook on calibre library and selecting info.
Open the EPUB format book with winrar or winzip program.
Add and replace files in the EPUB in winrar or winzip program with the two files below - css file and font file - can be downloaded via the links below.
Then transfer the EPUB book to your KOBO via Calibre.

DO note that title of the EPUB book on KOBO will not display chinese,
so remember to change the title of your book to English before conversion.

Would be nice if KOBO could display chinese fonts without having to tweak so many things.

stylesheet.css

DroidSansFallback.ttf
cancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Try out if Sigil helps you even more.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
IdahoMacx
IdahoMacx began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO
It won't work using CanCan's method

Hello CanCan,
If you are reading the forum, would you please tell me that why I can not make the Haodu epub work on my new KOBO. It is perfectly fine on Calibre (I mean the software picked the ttf font, but KOBO shows all ???. Thanks!
IdahoMacx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
kirill
kirill began at the beginning.

Device: Koboe (1gen)
I had similar problem with Cyrillic fonts on kobo, and they are present on the system! I can open text file with utf8 Cyrillic text and everything is fine, but e-pubs need to be modified to display non-Latin text.

The culprit of this problem is custom .kobo/adobe/pxf/userStyle.css file that nickel/adobe plugin use to overwrite font selection for the whole document body:
Code:
body {
 font: serif;
}
When programs like calibre embed fonts into an e-pub they assume that it is enough to add css style for the body tag, but that change gets lost because of the custom css on Kobo. My solution was to add custom styles for every element present in the document. In my case I add this to the style file:

Code:
p,div,h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6
{
font-family: "MyEmbeddedFontName";
}
I have tried to modify .kobo/adobe/pxf/userStyle.css on Kobo, but without success as it gets overwritten on startup.

This is a rather annoying problem, I would say a design bug in the nickel.
kirill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
ronmakobo
ronmakobo began at the beginning.

Hi cancan, my wife got a Kobo eReader about a year ago and I'm trying to get some Chinese books onto it following your instructions - so far, no luck. When I went to the link you suggested to download those 2 files (Stylesheet & ttf file), they are no longer there. I understand your post was a while back...any chance you can point me to the right direction. So far, I can get the chinese book to read properly on Calibre, but when I try to move the file to Kobo, it just display ?????? I think I'm only missing the last two files for the conversion on Kobo. Will be very much appreciate if you or someone can help. Thanks!
ronmakobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #6
ronmakobo
ronmakobo began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoMacx View Post
Hello CanCan,
If you are reading the forum, would you please tell me that why I can not make the Haodu epub work on my new KOBO. It is perfectly fine on Calibre (I mean the software picked the ttf font, but KOBO shows all ???. Thanks!
I've the same problem.....did you get yours resolved?
ronmakobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
Geco
Zealot
Geco doesn't litterGeco doesn't litter

Device: Touch, Aura
Why don't you try something like this http://atouchofkobo.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/260/ , for the fonts? I've asked the blog writer to do that test for me, before buying my KT... and now my wife is happily reading Japanese!
I'm also pretty sure that font I've suggested supports Chinese as well.
Geco is offline   Reply With Quote