Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #241
SP777
SP777 began at the beginning.

Device: K3 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave2008 View Post
I have added your request to the issue tracker. Next time you have a new idea for a cool feature and want to track on its development, the issue tracker might be the better place for you to fire the request
dave2008, thanks! But I think it's better to discuss the idea here first, because something may already be under development, something is too hard to do, or there is another way to get the same result, etc...

And here is my next idea (from practice again)
When there are a lot of files, it's hard to remember, which you have already read, which not, which are in the middle. So it would be nice in the file browser to see your current position in the file. Again much like in the native bookshelf. But I'd prefer numbers instead of dots. Say, place information right-justified in the format: [current-page/total-pages]. If the current-page is 0 or not displayed, the file was not opened.

Quote:
As for writing annotation directly to PDFs, I think it will be better to leave that task to DESKTOP application. This can give you more options on how those highlights and annotations should be written into the file. For instance, what color and shape should be used for the highlight.
That might be true. I use only text highlight (marker) and text annotations. So not many options here (yellow color is the default). Unfortunately, no such desktop application exists yet. vmonkey has mentioned the only so far known attempt, but it doesn't work good.
SP777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:18 AM   #242
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: amazon kindle DXG
I had tried the first version and yesterday i tried the latest after a long time and i want to thank everybody here for what you have done. It is unbelievable.

I was using both the native kindle pdf reader and duokan, but kpdf is better than the two because,

1) Native kindle viewer doesn't let manual border manipulation, there is always the scroll bar below.

2)Duokan's rendering quality is below native viewer, takes too much time to go to duokan and return back to original framework.

I think kpdf has best of the two worlds. A great zoom manipulation and the ability for custom borders with a good rendering quality and speed. I noticed in some pdfs, it renders even better than the native viewer.

The only con i think of is the restarting of kindle with large .pdf files problem persists. Well i am on kindle DXG with 3.3 firmware if you want to know.
reprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #243
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by reprep View Post
The only con i think of is the restarting of kindle with large .pdf files problem persists. Well i am on kindle DXG with 3.3 firmware if you want to know.
I'm not sure we will be able to solve this one. We still need to implement some kind of automatic memory allocation (currently it's up to user to tune maximum memory usage), but this won't solve all problems since Amazon's framework is using almost all memory available -- it's Java, after all

One possibility is to shutdown the kindle framework before reader starts (or when memory gets tight), but that would require framework to restart after exit, and that's one of features you like...
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #244
reprep
Addict
reprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animalsreprep is kind to children and small, furry animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
One possibility is to shutdown the kindle framework before reader starts (or when memory gets tight), but that would require framework to restart after exit, and that's one of features you like...
how should i edit the launchpad file to shutdown the kindle framework before the reader starts?
Old 04-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #245
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Shutdown Amazon framework before reader and restart it afterwards

Quote:
how should i edit the launchpad file to shutdown the kindle framework before the reader starts?
Good question!

In launchpad/kpdf.sh add stop and start calls around ./reader.lua like:

Code:
/etc/init.d/framework stop
./reader.lua "$1" # ... more test here
/etc/init.d/framework start
I'm not sure, but this might stop screen saver from working while we are in reader. You might want to comment out killall and final echo as well.

Alternative would be to copy exists kpdf.sh to kpdf-no-framework.sh and then add new keyboard shortcut to launchpad/kpdf.ini

Last edited by dpavlin; 04-16-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Suggested additional keyboard shortcut
Advert
Old 04-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #246
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
We could potentially add alternative shortcuts and a second script in next release?
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #247
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
We could potentially add alternative shortcuts and a second script in next release?
That would be sweet.
As far as I'm concerned, as soon as the kpdfviewer has a somewhat advanced text highlight and text annotations support, I would be more than willing to ditch the native framework.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:35 PM   #248
dpavlin
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
That would be sweet.
As far as I'm concerned, as soon as the kpdfviewer has a somewhat advanced text highlight and text annotations support, I would be more than willing to ditch the native framework.
Done: https://github.com/dpavlin/kindlepdf...460baeacb908ee

Shortcut is P K... K as in kill framework !
Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #249
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP777 View Post
When there are a lot of files, it's hard to remember, which you have already read, which not, which are in the middle. So it would be nice in the file browser to see your current position in the file. Again much like in the native bookshelf. But I'd prefer numbers instead of dots. Say, place information right-justified in the format: [current-page/total-pages]. If the current-page is 0 or not displayed, the file was not opened.
I think this is a must have feature But not likely to be included in next release I guess. New release is about to out and we need to somehow stop adding new features.

Quote:
Just like dpavlin said, we don't have automatic memory allocation so far. But we did fix a couple of memory leak bugs in the latest code. eLiNK helped us test with the latest code in DXG, maybe he can give some comment on these fixes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
That would be sweet.
Um.. You still need to read Mobi in Native system I guess ;P
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:31 AM   #250
brett
brett began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770/Palm TX
Can someone please explain to me, in plain English, how I
a) Jailbreak a Kindle DXG
b) Install muPDF
c) Install Duokan?

Everything on this subject that I can find is either written (a) for hackers or (b) for people who are Chinese, or (c) both!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:51 AM   #251
reprep
Addict

well i increased the cache to 15 MB from 5 MB and i've encountered some interesting behaviour. Again after a few page turns, the kindle frame was restarting but i could turn pages and continue reading on kpdf. Of course there was a visible scroll bar (the loading screen of amazon kindle frame) on the page, but after a full page refresh on kpdf (menu button two times), it disappeared. And after the end of restart of frame work, i could go on reading.

So kpdf doesn't crash, it is only the amazon framework, so this new script should help.

I will post the results here after trying the new script, as i forgot my USB cable at home.

EDIT: Well i now know there are two kinds of restarts. In the first kind, i described above, only the amazon framework restarts and you can continue to read. Editing the script to kill the framework should solve this problem. But in the second kind of restart which i now encountered you see the "Wait a moment while your kindle starts up." screen, all background processes are killed including the kpdf. I think this one will be hard to solve but fortunately it is a rare case.

Last edited by reprep; 04-17-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #252
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpavlin View Post
Done: https://github.com/dpavlin/kindlepdf...460baeacb908ee

Shortcut is P K... K as in kill framework !
Thanks.

He-he, somebody stop me.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #253
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP777
I think this is a must have feature But not likely to be included in next release I guess. New release is about to out and we need to somehow stop adding new features.
this is an interesting feature indeed.
But I think it would make sense to have it e.g. in a "sort by reading" mode or something.
As otherwise the display may become quite cluttered.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #254
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Just like dpavlin said, we don't have automatic memory allocation so far. But we did fix a couple of memory leak bugs in the latest code. eLiNK helped us test with the latest code in DXG, maybe he can give some comment on these fixes
Well, the reboots have become much rarer now but are occasionally present.
Especially, if you take some really bad made image based pdf files and/or pressing forward and menu buttons wildly (which does not correspond to the reading behavior).

So, I was going to see if changing memory settings would be a panacea but for the lack of time before my vocation I did not manage.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:47 AM   #255
eLiNK
Addict

Quote:
Um.. You still need to read Mobi in Native system I guess ;P
It is all about priorities.
I am interested in pdfs and djvus only.
And given that the KDX has memory of only 128 MB, it could be a good idea to shut the native framework altogether.