Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
Fmstrat
G:RSS-Web Creator
Fmstrat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, PW, Nexus 4,10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidblue View Post
Anyone know how to access the "double letter" articles? After 27 articles per-page, they have "aa", "ab", etc. as their shortcuts. How do you type both letters?
Currently, there is no way other than to navigate down using the D-Pad. Honestly, in testing no one increased the count over 25, so it never came up as an issue. I will look into a way to allow a second keypress, and then probably limit to 50 per page.

Thanks.
Fmstrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #17
kidblue
Connoisseur
kidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Ben,
Thanks for this truly useful format. A good RSS reader like yours really augments the experience of owning an e-reader. You've found a really healthy balance between simplicity and efficiency within this specific tool.

A second-key shortcut would be awesome, since you already hit it so well with the single-key press.

Looking very much forward,
Noah
kidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #18
Fmstrat

Thanks for the kind words. Double key shortcuts now work. Also added in author and originating feed display.

Thanks,
Ben
Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
kidblue
Connoisseur

They work great. What else is coming in the pipeline with this? It's just peachy. Thanks a bunch.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:00 AM   #20
canopy
canopy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Great work!Finally find a way to read GR in Kindle.Thanks.

But I hava a quertion:My kindle 3 is WI-FI only,would you provide some kind of offline mode?I mean I can download my unread items at once time when at home with wi-fi then bring my kindle to some places without wi-fi to read later?
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #21
Fmstrat

Quote:
They work great. What else is coming in the pipeline with this? It's just peachy. Thanks a bunch.
I'm thinking about a Kindle/Nook friendly Google Book interface if I can figure it out. I.E. being able to add books to your library, share books on Facebook/etc, rate and review formatted for the eReader based on the Google Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopy View Post
Great work!Finally find a way to read GR in Kindle.Thanks.

But I hava a quertion:My kindle 3 is WI-FI only,would you provide some kind of offline mode?I mean I can download my unread items at once time when at home with wi-fi then bring my kindle to some places without wi-fi to read later?
While I would love to do this, I can't think of a way that will work. There is no good way to store large amounts of RSS data in memory using the browser, and the KDE (development environment that will allow actual "apps" to be made) is not available yet. Even when it is available, apps are extremely limited in the amount of data that can be transferred. Once Amazon sets their policies and releases the API, I'll see what I can do, though.
Old 10-09-2010, 02:53 PM   #22
kidblue
Connoisseur

Google Books would be great - If there was a way to do a similar "add to library, mark as periodical" for RSS feeds or actual blogs/periodical sites, that would solve the offline issue. Where to "get" the content is a different story...

Not to go too far off topic, but because any kind of in-memory app/data would require access to the API, is there a timeline for that?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:59 AM   #23
Fmstrat

Quote:
Google Books would be great - If there was a way to do a similar "add to library, mark as periodical" for RSS feeds or actual blogs/periodical sites, that would solve the offline issue. Where to "get" the content is a different story...

Not to go too far off topic, but because any kind of in-memory app/data would require access to the API, is there a timeline for that?
No timelines as Amazon has none for their API.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #24
kidblue
Connoisseur

I wasn't insinuating that you should get to work on it - I was asking about the API

To the original poster regarding offline viewing - Check out the built-in Google Reader download for Calibre. It does a great job of downloading and filtering feeds, although it is "static", so it doesn't mark anything as read.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:48 AM   #25
kidblue
Connoisseur

I'm having some trouble with the refresh - I have a text file on my home-screen with my nowsci.com Reader links embedded. Clicking on the a feed-label - i.e. "http://nowsci.com/reader/kindle3/items.php?_refresh=3&_id=user/XXX/label/Feeds" does not refresh the feeds in the browser. I usually have to go "back" and forward again.

Is there a refresh setting within the URL or within the site that will directly link to the most recent, refreshed list of articles?

Thanks again,

Noah
Old 10-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #26
reading-it
Enthusiast
reading-it began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
This is pretty awesome. I'm now even more looking forward getting my Kindle 3. :-)

Thank you very much for developing such a great webapp.
reading-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #27
Fmstrat

Quote:
I'm having some trouble with the refresh - I have a text file on my home-screen with my nowsci.com Reader links embedded. Clicking on the a feed-label - i.e. "http://nowsci.com/reader/kindle3/items.php?_refresh=3&_id=user/XXX/label/Feeds" does not refresh the feeds in the browser. I usually have to go "back" and forward again.

Is there a refresh setting within the URL or within the site that will directly link to the most recent, refreshed list of articles?

Thanks again,

Noah
Hmm, never thought anyone would want to bookmark a specific feed. As the app is built now, you have to hit the Feeds screen first, as that's what populates everything for that visit. I'll look into this for future versions.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:43 AM   #28
kidblue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmstrat View Post
Hmm, never thought anyone would want to bookmark a specific feed. As the app is built now, you have to hit the Feeds screen first, as that's what populates everything for that visit. I'll look into this for future versions.
Interesting - I have my feeds organized into a handful of folders, with shortcuts to each of those folders. That way, when I need my collection of "News" feeds, I can go directly to them in order, etc.

Being able to integrate at least with the folders that most Google Reader users use would be fantastic. I love the formatting but anything that can reduce keystrokes and refreshes would be AWESOME!

Thanks again,

Noah
Old 10-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #29
IsLNdbOi
IsLNdbOi began at the beginning.

Device: B&N Nook
I tried accessing:

http://nowsci.com/grss-web/

on my K3's browser, but it won't connect to it.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 AM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Same problem I'm afraid.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote