Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-20-2018, 12:34 AM   #1
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
Question Aura One books won't open

I went to the website and browsed for books. I found several and clicked "Add to My Books". The bar near the top said added. When finished I clicked sync on the A1. The books went across to the A1.

Out of about a dozen books most say Unread but a few say Download. When I touch it to select it says downloading. Then it says Oops this document couldn't be opened. This is an example. https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/an-...rlock-holmes-3

What am I doing wrong? How do I fix it to be able to read all the books I got straight from kobo.com?
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
No problem with that book here. It downloaded during the sync and I was able open it.

After buying new books, the next sync should get the details of the book down and then download the actual books. The first step will show the details in the library with the state as "Download". As the book is downloaded, the status will be "Downloading" and there will be progress bar under the status area. When the book is downloaded, the status changes to "Unread". At that point, you should be able to open the book.

I have seen that error occasionally. The fix has been to remove the book from the device (long press, select "Remove" and then "Remove download"), and then download the book again. That has done it for most cases. If there were a lot of books, or it kept happening, then next thing to try is repairing the account. This is on the Device information page of the settings near the bottom. What that does is remove all the purchased books and download them again. If you have a lot of books, this will take a while. If it gets interrupted, it is OK. The books that weren't downloaded can be downloaded by tapping them individually, or using "Download all" on the menu in the library.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:51 AM   #3
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you. So I went to settings, device information, repair and did repair. It went through a couple of items almost too quickly to notice and then spent a few minutes on "downloading book covers". I didn't watch so I don't know if it had any more items after that. Then it was waiting at the "Repair complete. Hopefully this solved the issue. Sync now" page. I clicked sync now and it did in a few seconds. I only have 12 books on it. Then I get the same Oops this document can't be opened message. I noticed "factory reset" next to the repair button. I guess that will be my next option to try.

And after a factory reset it now opens and works fine. I have no clue what setting I might have changed that caused it to not work when I originally set it up. We'll see what happens with future books.

Last edited by LDB; 09-20-2018 at 05:31 AM. Reason: added updated information
Old 09-20-2018, 06:41 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDB View Post
And after a factory reset it now opens and works fine. I have no clue what setting I might have changed that caused it to not work when I originally set it up. We'll see what happens with future books.
Unfortunately, it is more likely that something happened to corrupt the internal database. A quicker method when this happens is to sign out of the Kobo account. That will regenerate the database and go through the setup.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:52 AM   #5
LDB
Baker Street Irregular

That is good to know. I'm only on my 3rd day of the Kobo adventure so there's lots to learn, lots. I'll put that in my back pocket for the future. Thank you for all your help and good information.