Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-21-2018, 03:10 AM   #1
terameep
terameep began at the beginning.

Device: KyBook 2 (iPad Air 2: iOS 11.2.2)
help choosing ereader app(s)

i'm looking to get one or more ereader apps for the ipad air 2 and iphone 6, both running on ios 11. i'm pretty satisfied with kybook 2 so far, however it doesn't seem this app or it's upcoming sequel won't be getting updates for a long while. so it seems like it's a good opportunity to explore other ereader options.

requirements
the ereader app(s) will need to fulfill the following:
- support file formats: pdf, djvu, epub, mobi, azw3 (can be reduced to support for pdf / epub if someone can clarify the pros / cons of converting mobi / azw3 to epub and pros / cons of converting djvu to pdf, as well as how to do it optimally).
- similar or better page navigation as kybook2.
- similar or better text search functionality as kybook2.
- similar or better support for table of contents / pdf bookmarks as kybook2.
- similar or better text highlighting / notes / markup as kybook2.
- similar or better page viewing functionality as kybook2.
- convenient method to download ebooks from calibre (opds support is best, direct download / file link from browser app from calibre content server webpages is good, compatibility with calibre companion or download from a cloud drive like dropbox, onedrive, or google drive is minimum).

additional considerations
- nice haves would be to fulfill other useful features of kybook2, and to come with their own useful features.
- it'd be really nice for there to be one app that can fulfill all of this.
- two page view is also a good feature i liked from kybook2.
- integration with something like evernote, onenote, or something like that would also be great.
- i don't mind having to figure out how to use the ereader app provided it doesn't take long to get down basic usage, while other advanced useful features are well documented or findable with google search.
- i also don't mind doing some prep work on ebooks, such as adding ebook metadata to calibre, embedding added metadata to ebooks, or converting mobi / azw3 to epub, or djvu to pdf (but not pdf <-> epub, because the converted files will not be good quality, unless my idea of the conversion is wrong).

usage
i mainly read technical pdf / djvu textbooks on physics, math, and engineering for school, most are scanned old editions. it's important for me to be able to view the figures, tables, and diagrams on them well. it's almost as important for me to be able to search the text of the book, even if the ebook doesn't have ocr data embedded, but can be ocr'd and searched. some textbooks or novels will be in epub / mobi / azw3 format.

ebook app impressions
from some research in this forum and apple app store reviews, here's my impressions on the following ebook apps:

- calibre companion: should be the best library management solution, but risky to pay for it considering the app store reviews.

- kybook2: best all in one ereader app to stick with for now, considering it fulfills everything i need at the moment. might consider moving if there are better options that are being maintained. also supports all required formats without any conversion.

- mapleread se: next best thing after kybook2, since it requires file conversions for compatibility with my ebooks and it's currently maintained (at least i think it is)

- marvin: best for epub ebooks

- goodreader: best for pdf ebooks, which is what most of my ebooks are.

- foxit pdf: free alternative to goodreader for pdf ebooks

considered options
the following are the possible options i've considered so far:

1: stick with kybook2. all ebooks readable in a library in one app. ebooks downloadable from home calibre content server with opds. (cheapest)
2: buy mapleread se and use it as the sole app, convert djvu -> pdf, mobi / azw3 -> epub. use similarly as kybook2. (second cheapest)
3: marvin for epub, goodreader for pdf, calibre companion for storage / library management, convert djvu -> pdf, mobi / azw3 -> epub. (most expensive)
4: 3, but no calibre companion. ebooks are instead downloaded via opds, direct download in ereader app, browser app file linking, or download from cloud drive app. (cheaper than 3, but more work since epub ebooks will be in marvin library, and pdf ebooks will be in goodreader library.)

unrelated bonus question: recommendations for ereader apps on windows pc? (app recommendations on this forum seemed to be several years old)

thanks!
terameep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
If it ain't broke...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Sorry, I misread the first time. But anyway, 9 month since the last update doesn’t seem too bad. And it should keep running fine so long as it doesn’t encounter compatibility issues with a future release of iOS. (The reason we lost of so many old apps with the last update was cause they retired 32bit support)

Last edited by Dylrob; 04-21-2018 at 09:43 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:48 PM   #4
nimapourkarimi
Connoisseur
nimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavensnimapourkarimi is a rising star in the heavens

Device: iPad mini 3, Kindle PW2
The developer is working on Kybook 3 but it's in beta stage at the moment, here you can join in and test the beta: http://kybook-reader.com/beta.html. I've been testing it for a month or so and it's really good. Kybook 3 is going to be available sooner or later and by the way, I use Kybook 2 as my main reader and have no problems at all.
nimapourkarimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #5
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
PocketBook has an app for iOS.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 05:28 AM   #6
karly wood
karly wood began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Smile

Generally, there are many Ereader Apps for iOS and Android. As an iPad Pro owner, I'm using Wattpad App: You can get it on iTunes
https://itunes.apple.com/in/app/watt...ign-mpt=uo%3D4

For those guys who have already Wattpad on its device then I found a source of the top Reading Apps for iOS

in iOS 12, Apple iBook's renamed, and its new name is Apple Book, and it come with the revamped user interface and features, so I think its demand will get a good deal to already available Applications on the App Store. Hope Full.
karly wood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apps, conversion, ereader, ios, ipad, iphone