Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
Buying a book on Amazon in Germany when having a UK account

Hi all,

Apologies if this question has been answered many times. I just really want confirmation.

I wanted to purchase a Kindle book from the Amazon.co.uk site. Unfortunately, they did not sell the Kindle version of this book. I immediately thought that the book was not available in Kindle format.

However, when I searched for the same book from the "Calibre" interface, it brought up the Kindle version of the book from the German Amazon website.

I just wondered, being a member of the UK site, would I be eligible to purchase and download the Kindle book from the German site?

Thanks

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
nothatkind
nothatkind is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1
I have an Amazon.com account and with that user id I've registered in the other amazon sites. If the books have no restrictions I buy them on either shop. Hope this can help you...

Last edited by nothatkind; 10-14-2011 at 02:03 PM.
nothatkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 03:50 AM   #3
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothatkind View Post
I have an Amazon.com account and with that user id I've registered in the other amazon sites. If the books have no restrictions I buy them on either shop. Hope this can help you...
Thanks for your response.

I managed to get on Amazon.com using my Amazon.co.uk e-mail and password. Once again, this just brought up the US market and it was asking me if I had moved countries. Although it let me in, I still do not think I can buy in another country other than in my UK account. The US market did not have this book in Kindle either.

It is definitely there in Kindle format on the German Amazon site.

Can somebody please confirm that it is either possible or not possible for me to purchase it from there using my UK account?

If anybody knows a way around this so I can buy that Kindle book in the German Amazon, I will truly appreciate it.

Thanks

HB
Old 10-15-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
nothatkind
nothatkind is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-600, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1
Ops... I'm so sorry... I've tried and I couldn't do it!!! :-(
I can only buy at amazon.com.
I apologize... I was sure I've bought some kindle books at the amazon.co.uk store...
(Maledetti)
nothatkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:56 AM   #5
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothatkind View Post
Ops... I'm so sorry... I've tried and I couldn't do it!!! :-(
I can only buy at amazon.com.
I apologize... I was sure I've bought some kindle books at the amazon.co.uk store...
(Maledetti)
That would be very surprising, since it never worked that way.

You have to officially transfer your account from one country to another in order to buy books in this country. You can do it, but after changing back and forth, Amazon send you an email asking you for a copy of your ID with official address, so I would not try that too often.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 12:21 PM   #6
Heathside Boy
HB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceflor; 178 8103
That Would Be Very Surprising, since It Never Worked That Way.

You Have To Officially Transfer Your Account from One Country to Another in Order to Buy Books in This Country. You Can Do It, but after Changing Back and Forth, Amazon Send You an E-Mail Asking You for a Copy of Your ID with Official Address, so I Would Not Try That Too Often.
Aceflor,

If you could answer these questions for me, I will truly appreciate it.

You say you can do it. I only want to do it just to download this one particular ebook, so it would only be once. Do you think I will get away with it?

I use Kindle for PC so I read my books direct from my computer.

How do I officially transfer my account from one country to another as you mention, bearing in mind that I have the Kindle for PC?

Once I have transferred to that country to purchase the Kindle book, do I need to transfer back to my original country afterwards?

If I download from the German Amazon website, will it download to my Kindle interface even though my account is primarily with the UK site?

Thank you

HB

Last edited by Heathside Boy; 10-15-2011 at 12:24 PM.