Kindle 3 94 41.05%
Other 14 6.11%
Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 02:02 PM   #1
tasomaniac
tasomaniac began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nook vs Kindle 3

I was going to buy Nook definitely but Kindle 3 is just announced and my mind is confused right now.

I am reading lots of blogs everyday. I know that Trook can read rss feeds but I dont know how. Is it convenient or not? I'm using Google Reader a lot. It would be very nice to have Google Reader program on the nook. As I have learnt from the internet, I can use web browser or Calibre to convert rss feeds to e-book.

Can you compare Nook vs Kindle 3? The most important factor is rss reading. And I really like the opennes of the nook because it has Android OS. I have Nexus One and I really like it. I chose it over iPhone and I am very happy with it.

Is the new screen of the Kindle that important? Is it that good?

Thank you all.
tasomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I would use calibre for rss feeds and convert them to a format suitable for K3.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 02:11 PM   #3
tasomaniac

But you need computer to do that. I am not in the US. I'm in Turkey. And I'm reading the news from feeds. I want to read them immediately when I want. And calibre is converting the feeds to ebook very slowly.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
I bought a mini (netbook). I wanted web browsing as well as the ability to use Kindle for PC or Nook for PC. The netbook I purchased has windows (not just windows CE) so I can load the apps. I have my regular browser so I can get feeds and whatever else via wi-fi.

Best of luck. I just went through all the decision making and pricing. There are more and more choices every day!!!

Maria
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
tasomaniac

I have already thought that but the eInk is important for me. And the battery life is far better in ereaders. I'm printing out the long academic papers right now to read. I dont want to read through the laptop. I think a dedicated device for reading would be good.
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 06:25 PM   #6
graphicsgirl
Connoisseur
graphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enoughgraphicsgirl will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook wifi, Ebookwise 1150, Dell Axim x5
Love my nook and have no regrets but had these choices been available at the time that I'd made my decision, I would have gone with the Kindle 3. The nook has very poor battery life - I have to charge it every other day. Hearing about the 1 month battery life of the Kindle makes my jaw drop. Also, annotation is poorly implemented on the Nook. For $139 you get a better screen on the Kindle 3.

The only thing that would make me hesitant with the Kindle is the lack of epub support. Now if Nook came out with the Nook2, I think I would go with Nook2 over Kindle3, if the Nook will have improved battery life. But Kindle 3 vs Nook, I would go with the Kindle3 and convert my epubs to mobi through Calibre.
graphicsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #7
moon_cat
moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.moon_cat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-300, PRS-700, NOOK 3G
Gotta stand by the nook on this one!

I can't stand behind a device that won't let you put what you want on it and won't share it's content!

Love my nook and my PRS 300 and 700
moon_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
omatix
omatix began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasomaniac View Post
I have already thought that but the eInk is important for me. And the battery life is far better in ereaders. I'm printing out the long academic papers right now to read. I dont want to read through the laptop. I think a dedicated device for reading would be good.
For academic papers (i.e. two-column with figures interspersed), I'd worry that you're going to find a 6" e-reader really disappointing, and neither the K3 nor the Nook are going to cut it. Their PDF handling is generally slow and clunky, and "reflowing" doesn't work well with academic PDFs. The alternative to reflowing, having a shrunken version of an A4 or 8.5x11 sheet shown on the page, is unusable with text documents on this size screen.

Since you're in Turkey, I'm guessing you'll be ordering online without a chance to try it out first - it'd be disappointing if you only found this out after you received whatever you choose. Maybe there are some good YouTube videos demonstrating what I'm saying?
omatix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:06 PM   #9
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
The Kindle is of no interest to me until it adds epub support. Nook all the way. The better battery life of the Kindle is nice, but I don't even need the week the nook gives me so a month is kind of overkill.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
bookwerm
Zealot
bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bookwerm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: B&N Nook
Even though K3 looks appealing, I'd still stick with my nook. Library books are a deal breaker - I understand why Amazon won't succumb and allow the K3 to support epub, but I totally think the K3 should support the encrypted mobi format. The format is available through Overdrive to libraries, and I'm sure if the K3 read the format, Overdrive would make even more titles available in this format.
bookwerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #11
jedifarfy
Zealot
jedifarfy doesn't litterjedifarfy doesn't litter

Device: rooted nook color, nook wifi 1st edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphicsgirl View Post
The nook has very poor battery life - I have to charge it every other day.
Are you keeping the Wifi on at all times? That drains the battery quickly. Put it in airplane mode whenever you don't need to connect to the ebook shop and your battery life will improve.

As for K3 vs nook, I'd still pick nook. First, I work for B&N (I don't want to be murdered by coworkers...). Second, I hate restrictive formats that limits you to what you are allowed to use, which is also why I don't have anything Apple. Yes, Amazon has things that no one else has, and I'm hoping that will change in the future. With nook, I can buy ebooks from almost anywhere and put them on my ereader. I like that.

JF
jedifarfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 AM   #12
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
If I had the choice back a month ago, it would really be a tough call. K3 has better e-ink screen (Pearl) - although I am not very sure how much better the contrast really is as compared to the nook (based on what I see from the new DX, it's definitely not 50% better as Amazon wanted you to believe, nevertheless, it's better); K3 has much better battery life and annotation feature, and probably a better dictionary. However, the lack of epub (nd local library) support, the lack of a user replaceable battery and the lack of an expandable memory, makes K3 less attractive which otherwise could have been a nobrainer. So it's still a tie.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #13
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I might decide to own both. The Nook is a slick device, I like the touchscreen swipe and library support. But I've run into at least 6 books I wanted to buy that B&N and other Adobe retailers don't have, at any price. Not to mention that Amazon is still a bit cheaper here and there. That's annoying.

And the K3 has some nice features, particularly it's weight. The nook, in spite of a lot of pooh-poohing here, is heavier in hand, especially once you add a case. I read for 3-4 hours at a time - 16+ ounces makes my wrists sore. Luckily, there are easel cases and the Nook's touchswipe, but that doesn't work in all situations.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:47 AM   #14
VentureForth
Enthusiast
VentureForth doesn't litterVentureForth doesn't litter

Device: Augen's The Book
Since the poll was Nook v Kindle3, I voted Nook. The enhanced feature set, proven availability of titles, and ability to browse, music, and hit that sudoku on occassion makes it the winner in my eyes.

But in reality, I bought Augen's The Book at K-Mart for $89. It has the same functions as the nook but with a full color screen. Still a bit of a beta feel to it, butr with the latest firmware upgrade, epubs and DRM are a cinch.
VentureForth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
the new kindle 3 isn't anything revolutinary, It took the Kindle out from the fields and gave it a shower and put it in a suit. Still basicall they device.

The Nook IMHO is still a better overall e-reading experience with the color touchscreen and the Barnes and Noble InStore experience. and oh yeah E-PUB
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote