Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #76
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I actually still have my Grandfather's ivory slide rule. quite elegant!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #77
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
I'm fond of Nomograms myself.

http://www.projectrho.com/nomogram/index.html
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 07:47 PM   #78
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
I started my civil engineering career as a young cadet in a local government drawing office waaayyy back in the early 80's. By then, slide rules had been replaced by HP calculators (I got mine for AU$113 in 1985) and a basic86 based discless XT PC was the cruncher of choice for road design. I even prepared drawings on drafting film using a drafting board/machine and drawing pens.

Five years later, I was designing on a 286 PC.

The great SF books of the "classic" era still had their heroes using slide rules, blueprints and logarithmic tables. Computers with "visiplates" were mentioned but rarely explained.

What a long way we have come.

Now I hear that the technology to replicate what we saw in Avatar with a finger swipe to drag data from a desktop monitor to a tablet is nearly here.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 09:12 PM   #79
Metal Mick
Addict
Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Metal Mick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Book, PB 302, IQ
Hi all,

my first introduction to computers (1976!) was on an HP "Desktop Calculator" - a thing the size of a suitcase, with a cassette drive on the left and right. I was working for a government research establishment. The cassettes were for loading programs. The screen was tiny and displayed text only, but joy of joys, there was a racing-car game: turn-based, a plotter would mark where your car was on a racetrack, after you input steering-wheel angles, percentage acceleration (negative for braking), and other bits and pieces. With 4 players, a lap would take an hour to complete.

A scientist in the facility postulated there would always be a place for "hybrid" computers - a combination of digital and analog (where circuitry was used to perform complex mathematics, that were beyond the digital machine to process accurately and quickly). By the mid-1980's, he was proved wrong.

Oh, I still have a slide rule that I bought for high school. I tried showing show it worked to my young daughter and she asked, "Why would you use that instead of a calculator?"

Cheers,

Michael P
Metal Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #80
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Oh, I still have a slide rule that I bought for high school. I tried showing show it worked to my young daughter and she asked, "Why would you use that instead of a calculator?"
The calculator requires infrastructure.

If a global universal OMG catastrophe reduces us all to living in a world similar to The Road Warrior, the calculator will be worthless once all the batteries are gone, but the slide rule will still work.
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 09:50 AM   #81
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
The calculator requires infrastructure.

If a global universal OMG catastrophe reduces us all to living in a world similar to The Road Warrior, the calculator will be worthless once all the batteries are gone, but the slide rule will still work.
I guess you could use a larger slide rule to kill rabbits
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:07 AM   #82
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Who needs a global catastrophe? Having your calculator batteries die during a final is sufficient. Or so I was told by my high school chemistry teacher. This did not motivate me to get any better with a slide rule; it motivated me to carry spare batteries on exam days!
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:40 AM   #83
Vintage Season
Pulps and dime novels...
Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vintage Season ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura/Kobo Aura One LE/iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
It was not helped by the lurid covers of older SF magazines featuring scantily clad heroines menaced by slavering aliens.
One of my favorite family stories involves the moment my grandmother noticed a magazine that held my grandfather's rapt attention. The cover featured a large, green BEM ("bug-eyed monster," for the uninitiated) drooling as his sucker-tipped tentacles ripped the bodice off a helpless-yet-alluring ingénue. Classic stuff, in other words.

"David," she asked, "don't you think the subject matter is a little lurid for you to be reading in front of the children?"

"No," he responded, with just a touch of regret, "it's pure as the driven snow...."

- M.
Vintage Season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #84
nyrath
Addict

Yes, many of those lurid covers were painted by Earle K. Bergey, the "inventor of the brass brassière"
Old 07-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #85
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAdams View Post
Recently, there was an article in Scientific American, I believe which included a slide rule which one could cut out and assemble.

Or print your own here:

http://www.sphere.bc.ca/test/build.html
Lovely. Thank you!
______
Dennis
Who drooled over a Pickett Log Log Decitrig rule, back when...
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:03 PM   #86
nyrath
Addict

There is an interesting specialized slide rule you can print out and assemble here:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/bombcalc/brico.html
Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #87
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Mick View Post
Hi all,

my first introduction to computers (1976!) was on an HP "Desktop Calculator" - a thing the size of a suitcase, with a cassette drive on the left and right.
Hey, I remember using one of those (same year). I was supposed to be studying Earth Science but I was walking past one of the Chem labs and saw this thing through the window. And (oh joy!) the door was unlocked. I spent hours programming that thing. The graph plotter was just magic.

Talking of slide rules I have an old Astounding mag and on the cover is a piratical figure climbing over the gunwhales with, not a dagger, a sliderule between his teeth. The title story is something like Space Pirates.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:48 PM   #88
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Parkinson View Post
Talking of slide rules I have an old Astounding mag and on the cover is a piratical figure climbing over the gunwhales with, not a dagger, a sliderule between his teeth. The title story is something like Space Pirates.
Glad I am not the only one to remember that!

I also remember programming with punch cards. That was fun...not....
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:11 AM   #89
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabredog View Post
Glad I am not the only one to remember that!

I also remember programming with punch cards. That was fun...not....
Programming with punch cards wasn't bad (except the time I dropped a whole box down the stairs!) ... but have you ever had to get a lace card out of a cardreader? With tweezers?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #90
mike_bike_kite
Digitally confused
mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mike_bike_kite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, K2i, Nexus 7 32gb, Kobo Mini
The machine I learnt to program on was an Acorn System 1. It just had a hex keypad and a little LED display. It had 1k of memory but, when you're programming directly in machine code, that seemed like a lot. This same computer was the computer used in the SciFi TV series Blake's Seven.

Last edited by mike_bike_kite; 07-26-2010 at 05:39 AM.
mike_bike_kite is offline   Reply With Quote