Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 12:14 PM   #1
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Replace DEFAULT epub fonts! (PRS-600)

Well, finally I found a user who was brave enough to try my "default epub fonts" hack (see here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66102) with PRS-600. Apparently it worked for him, so I guess I can publish it.

What it does
This hack for Sony Reader PRS-600 allows you to use your custom fonts for all EPUB files without having to modify them - that is, it should work with any file you download, including protected EPUBs (not tested).

Basically, you get all the benefits of ePub custom Fonts on 700, 505, 500, 300, 600 without having to modify each and every EPUB file.

How it works
Adobe Digital Editions, which is used by PRS-600 to render EPUB files, doesn't allow simple substitution of fonts. It does allow user CSS scripts, but the script is located in an area inaccessible to user. This hack modifies the location of the user script, thus allowing the user to easily modify it. I had to hand-edit the renderer's executable file to modify the location, which could lead to various problems, but so far all tests seem to work fine.

Beware
Flashing the PRS-600 seems like a lot more demanding and dangerous operation than it is on PRS-505 - not only because PRS-505 is here longer and the flashing process is better tested, but also because the PRS-600 firmware is all in one piece whereas PRS-505 firmware is split into two separate parts - one for e-book viewing and one for underlying tasks (e.g. connecting to a PC). It is quite difficult to trash your PRS-505, because you usually only flash the e-book part and the other remains unchanged, letting you, if the worst happens, to just reconnect the reader to a PC and flash the official firmware. With PRS-600, you could very well end up with a Reader without any firmware, in other words, an unrecoverable brick.

More beware
The hack is not properly tested. I only found one user to try it so far. It worked for him, but it remains to be seen if he was the rule or the exception. I advise against trying this hack unless you really need foreign characters.

Download
http://www.pepak.net/files/e-books/p..._hack-0.03.zip
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #2
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

I have a PRS-300 firmware prepared in much the same way. The flashing process is a lot simpler and seems like it will resemble PRS-505's in its recoverability. The only problem is that it hasn't been tested at all (I don't have a PRS-300 either, and nobody volunteered his), and that as far as I know, there is no official firmware update for PRS-300 so there really is nothing to re-flash with if this hacked firmware fails. In the worst case, the reader might become bricked until Sony releases a new firmware for it. Still, if you are feeling brave and (or foolish :-)), I would appreciate if you could PM me.
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
PRS-900 here and I wasn't using your hack directly but rather performing the same edit on the file inside the images that boroda (porkupan) made available. BTW, his latest PRS-900 flashing image now includes your hack, perhaps he'll be willing to update the 600 package as well (if he hasn't yet)?

Anyway, I've had zero problems on my PRS-900 so I'm sure your hack is sound.
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
pepak
Guru

That's great!

Still, one of the reasons why I want to be able to update firmware myself is that I would like to provide a way for people to use their own fonts (not fonts chosen by Boroda or me or anyone else) and possibly open a road for e.g. Browse Folders of the PRS Plus.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
dmapr
Evangelist
dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmapr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
That's great!

Still, one of the reasons why I want to be able to update firmware myself is that I would like to provide a way for people to use their own fonts (not fonts chosen by Boroda or me or anyone else) and possibly open a road for e.g. Browse Folders of the PRS Plus.
I just thought that if the hack went into his PRS-600 flashing image you'd get a much bigger testing base

BTW, at least with EPUB once the hack is in you're free to choose your own fonts — doesn't your hack just make userStyle.css accessible?
dmapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2010, 04:11 PM   #6
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
BTW, at least with EPUB once the hack is in you're free to choose your own fonts — doesn't your hack just make userStyle.css accessible?
That's all there is.

I didn't force "my fonts" on any EPUB users of PRS-900, the userStyle.css is openly exposed in the <internal-memory>/epub directory, so anyone can modify it to be whatever they want. I did provide a default userStyle.css though, which points to the default Reader's fonts (/opt/sony/ebook/FONT). The reason for this was that the built-in fonts inside the Adobe module are just way too limited.

Last edited by porkupan; 01-28-2010 at 04:16 PM.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
wow, great news ! thanks so much for this. we'll see if i'm feeling daring, when i get my 600 back from sony...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
pepak
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmapr View Post
I just thought that if the hack went into his PRS-600 flashing image you'd get a much bigger testing base
I am not all that concerned with the hack itself as with the flashing process.

Quote:
Yes, but that doesn't change TXT, RTF, LRF.

Also, once I know for sure the flashing AND firmware image manipulation work reliably, we can use them both to start hacking other files. E.g. I imagine that it should be relatively easy to add some of PRS Plus' features to other Readers beside 505.
Old 01-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #9
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkupan View Post
That's all there is.

I didn't force "my fonts" on any EPUB users of PRS-900, the userStyle.css is openly exposed in the <internal-memory>/epub directory, so anyone can modify it to be whatever they want. I did provide a default userStyle.css though, which points to the default Reader's fonts (/opt/sony/ebook/FONT). The reason for this was that the built-in fonts inside the Adobe module are just way too limited.
Is "PRS-700 Flasher 0.3 Alpha.zip" the latest flasher for the PRS-700 and has it been updated with a default userStyle.css?

I only read in English but would like to setup my reader with the Fonts folder, and maybe some other bells and whistles that come with the flasher.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #10
pepak
Guru

I now have reports of several more people who used this hack and didn't brick their Reader. Woohoo!
Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #11
zozoka
zozoka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900
HEllo

Hello

Today i get my PRS 900 reader , but a major problem :
In all my 900 books (epub) shows in place of ő,ű,Ő ...characters the ? signs

Also in author and book title, these characters are missing.

Is there any possibility to show correctly these characters ? (hungarian)

Thank you
Zoli
zozoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
pepak
Guru

I don't have a firmware upgrade for PRS-900 and don't expect to do one anytime soon - particularly since Porkupan's hack already icorporated my EPUB hack (am I correct, Porkupan?). Just use his hack.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #13
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
The "Russian" firmware comes with BeardMan's fonts, which already incorporate the Eastern European characters. So, in addition to EPUB you will be able to read RTF, TXT and LRF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Porkupan's hack already icorporated my EPUB hack (am I correct, Porkupan?).
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:59 PM   #14
robertpolson
Connoisseur
robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.robertpolson solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: none
How can firmware flash be done on a MAC ?
robertpolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #15
zozoka
zozoka began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 900
Porkupan

Can you explain please, how to put your hack on a PRS 900 ?

Thanks
zozoka is offline   Reply With Quote