Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-10-2006, 01:03 PM   #1
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
World eBook Fair

The World eBook Fair is currently open to celebrate the Gutenberg Project's 35th birthday.

via
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Thanks bshort. What I don't understand: what's so special about offering e-books of the public domain for free?

Quote:
1/3 million eBooks await you for personal use, all free of charge for the month from July 4 - August 4, 2006, and then 1/2 million eBooks in 2007, 3/4 million in 2008, and ONE million in 2009.
Free of charge for a month? Hasn't the Gutenberg Project always been free?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #3
bshort
Enthusiast
bshort began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Treo 700p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Thanks bshort. What I don't understand: what's so special about offering e-books of the public domain for free?
I think they're also offering a lot of books that aren't in the public domain and which aren't offered by Project Gutenberg.
bshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Ok that explains. I haven't paid too much attention to the WE fair really. Maybe I should give it a second try.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
ebookstoregirl
ebookstore girl
ebookstoregirl began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC - HP6315
World eBook Fair - 12 MILLION DOWNLOADS

The World eBook Fair does offer the Guttenberg Collection, but it also has MANY other collections available. There are 330,000 FREE eBook titles - and a large number of these are NOT public domain, and are NOT available for FREE beyond this month. The DPPstore Collection showcases work from authors who retail their eBooks through us - some are even full eBooks available for FREE only for this special event. See more from these authors at www.DPPstore.com

The WeBF is a celebration of the spirit of eBooks, which are fundementally a huge revolution in the availablity of books - when not bound and printed on paper, more books can be more affordable to more people.

HAPPY WeBF!!!!

Catherine - Aka eBookstoregirl.
ebookstoregirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2006, 08:38 AM   #6
branko
Connoisseur
branko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enoughbranko will become famous soon enough

Device: Palm Zire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebookstoregirl
The WeBF is a celebration of the spirit of eBooks
No it is not.
branko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Are there more pdf format files at WeBF than at other sites? I haven't checked because I wasn't interested in pdf files until the e-ink readers came near, but I wonder if they might have pdf files there that work well with the iLiad or Sony Reader?
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Btw, there is also an interesting pdf at the WeBF about the Blackmask stuff at
http://www.qoop.com/worldbookfair/vi...339%3BS+CENTER

Quote:
The eBook you are looking for has been temporary [sic] removed. This is due to current negotiations with Blackmask Online and Conde Nast Publications. We hope that this title will be resorted [sic] shortly.

The Shadow, The Avenger, and Doc Savage will be unavailable during this period.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 09:19 AM   #9
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Hi,

While initially I was excited to hear about the WBF, checking it out I was very dissapointed and after spending 15' at the site a while ago, I revisited it only yesterday to see if it was as awful as I remembered and it was so; after another 15' I left the site and do not intend to go back.
The reasons:

1. Very poor search capability; having tons of info is useless without good search capability and in the case of books, this means at a minimum searches on titles only, on authors only and on keywords. To wade through hundreds of answers or to spend lots of times designing clever searches is not worth my time except very rarely.
2. Pdf format - generally useless for ereading (though good for printing) and while it's easy to extract text, why bother when the books of interest to me at WBF can be found in better formats like rtf, html, even mslit somewhere else

Overall, I would rate WBF at a 3/10, and that just based on the idea. The execution though was really awful. And that is a pity, but it is not surprising and it reflects very well on the relatively sorry state of ebook publishing.

Liviu
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
ebookstoregirl
ebookstore girl
ebookstoregirl began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket PC - HP6315
I really agree with the greivences that Liviu stated. I believe that the idea of the WeBF is good, but the execution does leave some wanting
We sponsored the event based on the idea.
Next year, we hope to see better execution - since this is set to be an annual event.

If you are looking for FREE eBooks, check out our FREE section at DPPstore.com
We have 51 titles, and we are adding more daily.

*HINT*While registration is required for download, it is not necessary to enter a payment method to register

So, browse by author, title, etc. and download to your heart's content...or your hard drive's content - whichever is sated first

-Catherine
DPPstore
ebookstoregirl is offline   Reply With Quote