Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-28-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
honeynveg
honeynveg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
New UK user having problems

Hi everyone!
This is my first post and I apologise in advance if this question has been asked before....
I have just received my Kimble 2 for Christmas but am struggling to download content to it.
I have downloaded Kimbe for PC but a book I have purchased at amazon.com is there for me to read on my pc but I cannot transfer it to my Kindle.
I did go into my Kindle documents and dragged/dropped onto my Kindle. My Kindle has the book on the main screen but when I try to open it it says it cannot do it.
I realise that in the UK we cannot get the whispernet so how do I get content onto my Kindle?
Sorry for being a bit dense but the whole thing is baffling me at the mo!
A couple of pointers from you lot will save me loads of time on the internet.
I look forward to hearing from you,

Tracy
honeynveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Tracey.

Someone who has a Kindle in the UK will chime in soon with help, I'm sure.

Enjoy the forums.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 02:47 PM   #3
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
You are having problems because of DRM* applied to the books.

You need to register your Kindle's serial number on your Amazon Account. Then you can download your books to your PC, but encypted for use with your Kindle. Copying them across from your PC to your Kindle will then work.

If you want to read your books on "Kindle for PC" as well as your Kindle, you'll need to download (but not pay for) the books twice - one copy for your Kindle and one for your "Kindle for PC".

DRM - ain't it great?

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeynveg View Post
Hi everyone!
This is my first post and I apologise in advance if this question has been asked before....
I have just received my Kimble 2 for Christmas but am struggling to download content to it.
I have downloaded Kimbe for PC but a book I have purchased at amazon.com is there for me to read on my pc but I cannot transfer it to my Kindle.
I did go into my Kindle documents and dragged/dropped onto my Kindle. My Kindle has the book on the main screen but when I try to open it it says it cannot do it.
I realise that in the UK we cannot get the whispernet so how do I get content onto my Kindle?

Tracy

*DRM - Digital Rights Management, aka Digital Restrictions Management, aka "Don't Read Me". Copy protection for digital files. Ugh.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
honeynveg
honeynveg began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Hey thanks for your reply - I had already signed up with amazon - I have downloaded to my Kimble and again separately to my PC for Kimble.
It says it has been delivered to my Kimble but it is not there - is it trying to do it wirelessly? Is it somewhere on my pc to be transferred across?
Grrr - very frustrating!
honeynveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:27 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Hey thanks for your reply - I had already signed up with amazon - I have downloaded to my Kimble and again separately to my PC for Kimble.
It says it has been delivered to my Kimble but it is not there - is it trying to do it wirelessly? Is it somewhere on my pc to be transferred across?
Grrr - very frustrating!
I'm wondering if the Kindle for PC version of the book was accidentally transferred to the Kindle.

Check your Manage Your Kindle page. To the right you'll see your book delivery status via Whispernet. If you've ordered a book and it downloaded successfully, you'll see a green check mark next to the book title. If it's still trying to download, you'll see an orange clock.

I would suggest that you delete the book that won't open from your Kindle then re-download it with Whispernet (which you can use in the U.K.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mk status.PNG
Views:	212
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	42088   Click image for larger version

Name:	mk download.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	42089  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
It's probably queued for wireless delivery - which isn't going to happen, unless you have an International Kindle 2.

On the Amazon web site, when your Kindle as the intended destination for the download, you can also choose that it will downloaded to your PC for manual transfer to your Kindle, rather than sent wirelessly.

Quote:
Grrr - very frustrating!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Hi everyone!

Tracy
Yes you can. Unless someone bought it for you before October, which is unlikely.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you want to read your books on "Kindle for PC" as well as your Kindle, you'll need to download (but not pay for) the books twice - one copy for your Kindle and one for your "Kindle for PC".

Thanks for that info Paul. I told another user that earlier, but was not certain that it was the case. This confirms my belief.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote