Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EZ Reader Pocket Pro
EZ Reader Pocket Pro disassembled

Well, after a few days with the exchanged Pocket Pro, I started getting some bubbling in the upper right and left hand corners, but I'm not sending this one back. Perhaps I should have waited for the 2nd shipment before sending the first Pocket Pro back. I decided to clean the front up myself and try a few things to clean off the paint, so I disassembled the Pocket Pro to avoid messing up the screen and took some pictures in the process. I've tried some non Acetone nail polish remover but it hasn't had quite the effect I had hoped for. I also tried some nail polish strengthner to seal off the tips of the areas where I had removed the paint and it did seal it off, but it did bubble the edges as well.

**WARNING: Disassembling your Pocekt Pro will void your warranty, so do so at your own risk!!**
Be sure you have properly statically discharged yourself and wash your hands thoroughly if you are going to disassemble your Pocket Pro.

The screw holes on the back are covered by rubber grommets. I used a small precision flat tip screw driver to pry them out. Here's a picture of the back without the rubber grommets.

After Removing the 4 screws, battery cover, and battery, with the front laying face down on the desk, I pried the cover, starting from the lower right and worked my way up the right side first, then went top right to top left.

Here are pictures of the inside.

Circuit Board

Eink Screen - Notice that there's still an image despite no battery

Inside of back casing

Inside of front casing

Now, to get the circuit board out, you ill need to remove the 2 screws on the left side and gently pry the black plastic away from the top notches on the from inside of the front casing. The Eink screen is held in place in two sections and by the ribbon cable that is attached to the circuit board, so be sure to gently keep it together with the black plastic holding the circuit board as you lift it out.

As you can see by the picture of the inside front casing, the keys are all held in place by plastic welds, so they are non removable, so it would be best to take care around all the buttons.

When you reassemble the EInk display and the front casing, be sure the black plastic slips in under the two notches on the left.

On reassembling the front and back casing, be sure to insert the reassembled front into the headphone hole first on the back casing, making sure the jog dial will slide into the proper space as well and possibly even gently pry up the top of the unit near the power button to make sure it contacts it properly.

**WARNING: Disassembling your Pocekt Pro will void your warranty, so do so at your own risk!!**

Last edited by RichyRich; 10-12-2009 at 07:10 AM.
RichyRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Great shots, I noticed the unused pads for a connector/ test points near the battery.
Somehow the screen side shot did not show up.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Very interesting. Thanks for this!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #4
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
That's great, Now if only we can convert the battery type to a 3 contact nokia type

Last edited by gargoyle67; 10-12-2009 at 08:50 AM.
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Excellent! This is great news for those who wish to repaint their PEZ. I, personally, am heartened to know that taking the case apart does not end up with loose toggles and buittons. That was my one reason for sending mine in for replacement.

Had I known this prior, I would have taken it apart and sanded the rubber coating/paint off and repainted. I think a bottle of nail polish should cover the device in a couple coats, for those who are interested. And you can find the perfect colour in this manner.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichyRich View Post
I've tried some non Acetone nail polish remover but it hasn't had quite the effect I had hoped for. I also tried some nail polish strengthner to seal off the tips of the areas where I had removed the paint and it did seal it off, but it did bubble the edges as well.
Nail polish remover on plastic case

Alcohol - pure ethanol - removes the rubber coating and does not affect the plastic.
Be careful and do not buy denatured alcohol if you do not know exactly what additive was used to denature it. You can buy small amount of food-grade alcohol.

ANYTHING you want to use on your Pocket Pro you should try on the inside surface to make sure it does not damage the plastic.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
RichyRich
Connoisseur
RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RichyRich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I had read that acetone based nail polish remover is definitely bad, which is why I tried non acetone based. Here are some pictures of the battery as well in case someone is doing more hunting for an alternate battery.

Battery

Tip of connector on battery
Old 10-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #8
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
I can't remember who makes it, but there is this new spray paint that's made to adhere to plastic. I seen a friend take a part his Gamecube wave bird (controller) and painted it white to match his Wii.

Came out pretty nice.
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:50 AM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Interesting thread and great photos Richy!

I wonder if Astak would sell spare panels if someone required them?
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:57 AM   #10
UchihaNaru
Connoisseur
UchihaNaru is on a distinguished road

Device: Astak Pocket Pro
do you mean that there's still problem with the finish despite an exchange?
UchihaNaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM   #11
RichyRich
Connoisseur

Yes, but it is still one of the original first shipment. The 2nd shipment notice came after my unit had been sent out.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
RichyRich, when you were examining the internals, did you see anywhere a potentiometer that allows for contrast adjustment? The Sonys have one.
Sunspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #13
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
This thread of the disassembly was captured for the wiki. There are many of these in the wiki for various eBook Readers.

Dale
Indeed, this is in the wiki!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
RichyRich
Connoisseur

I don't recall seeing one but I will be disassembling it again to do more paint removal and to take pictures of the keys as well so I will double-check then.