Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 AM   #1
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
DX and USB

Has anyone hooked their DX to a PC (XP or Vista) with the USB cable yet? Does DX have the same issues that K2 had, ie, have to use the ports on the back of the PC or use a double ended USB cable to attach to 2 front USB ports? Any new oddities?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
rijker
curiouser and curiouser
rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rijker has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, K1,K2, iTouch 16gb
Hooked mine up to the laptop an hour ago with the included usb cable and had no issues whatsoever. Recognized the unit as a drive right away. Notebook is Toshiba Satellite running Vista.
rijker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
I didn't have an USB problems with the K2, so I can't say if the KDX attached to such a port works any better or worse.

I did have the KDX reboot itself when I unplugged it from the USB and then quickly plugged it back in when I realized I still wanted to use it. I think I just caught it when it was coming out of USB mode and crashed it. I don't recall the K2 ever doing that.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
mikemow
mikemow began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
that means the frontside of your usb port can't provide the DX with required mounts of elctronics
but the backside one is directly on the mainboard that did it
mikemow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
You could probably get a powered USB hub that will work, too. I use one with mine on my Mac.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I have a home-built computer with an Asus P5B motherboard, and I've never had any problem using the supplied USB cable and the front USB ports with either my K2 or the DX.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I have a home-built computer with an Asus P5B motherboard, and I've never had any problem using the supplied USB cable and the front USB ports with either my K2 or the DX.
Motherboard may be fine, may be the case USB wiring. I've had some weird wiring on some of my cases, and since you are a builder you know how thorough the documentation is. NOT.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:16 PM   #8
goodellboy
goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.goodellboy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX
I've been following someone's advice about making sure the Kindle is awake and on the home page before hooking up the cable. I've had no problems. I'm also using "Safely Remove" instead of "Eject."

Does anyone know the difference between "Safely Remove" and "Eject"?
goodellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I think Eject allows you to keep charging via USB, while using the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the USB 2.0 standard limits a single port to 500 mA of current. My DX wall plug is specced at 850 mA, so I assume the DX needs >500 mA to charge. So IF your USB ports adhere to spec, you will need to use more than one port.

However, in some cases if your ports are limiting to 500 mA, you can run some software that will send a command to increase the port output. I know this is possible in Linux, I don't know about Windows, and I don't remember how either way.

But in ANY case, most ports in new (<2 years old) computers will generally put out much more than 500 mA without even being asked to.

Personally, I have an Eee 1000HE and am currently charging my DX from one USB port and my BlackBerry from another. It seems to be working fine, so far...
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #11
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Can you wirelessly hook up your DX to your PC?
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:58 PM   #12
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the USB 2.0 standard limits a single port to 500 mA of current. My DX wall plug is specced at 850 mA, so I assume the DX needs >500 mA to charge. So IF your USB ports adhere to spec, you will need to use more than one port.
You're right and wrong. The Kindle charges faster from the wall plug is all; from USB it asks for less amps and thus takes longer the charge.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
Can you wirelessly hook up your DX to your PC?
Nope.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:09 AM   #14
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You're right and wrong. The Kindle charges faster from the wall plug is all; from USB it asks for less amps and thus takes longer the charge.
Ah, yes, this is true... but there is a lower limit below which the DX will not charge. For example, if I charge from USB with my Eee awake, the DX charges fine. But if I do so with my Eee in suspend mode, the "charging" light on the DX flashes on and off, and as far as I can tell no (or very little) charging occurs. The obvious reason being, less current is available in suspend mode.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:22 AM   #15
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharker View Post
Ah, yes, this is true... but there is a lower limit below which the DX will not charge. For example, if I charge from USB with my Eee awake, the DX charges fine. But if I do so with my Eee in suspend mode, the "charging" light on the DX flashes on and off, and as far as I can tell no (or very little) charging occurs. The obvious reason being, less current is available in suspend mode.
Yes. And your USB port isn't required to supply power; it's optional. But many (most?) modern USB ports do.