Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-03-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
RhinoDoc
RhinoDoc has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader
My personal experience with Sony Readers

I have had the PRS500 for almost 2 years and love it. I love it so much I bought PRS505's for my wife, mother and 2 daughters and convinced my brother and his wife to get their own, too. When the 700 was announced I took my 500, one of the 505's and went to the Sony Style store to compare. I was disappointed in the display but loved the features. After considerable debate, I told my wife to buy one for me for my birthday and I have had the 700 for 2 days now. I LOVE it. The display on the store model seems to have been worse than the one I got. If I compare all 3 models at home, I agree the 505 is the sharpest, but the 700 is comparable to the 500 I have grown accustomed to. The page flicking works well but takes a little getting used to. I really enjoy the search - I read mostly fiction, and it is great to be able to review who a character that was mentioned 300 pages ago and suddenly reappears when I don't remember who they were. The lights work well for reading in bed at night, but I think they cause a little more eye strain, but then again I usually don't read long in the dark before drifting off anyway. I also like the lights in dim light - if I am reading on the couch on an overcast day, the 505 is just OK, the 500 requires me to turn on a lamp, the 700 I can read with the lights on low. I have not had any more issue with glare than I did with any of the other books. Finally, the page turning is MUCH faster. Overall, I am thrilled with the new model and I think the complaints of it being difficult to read are overstated.
RhinoDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RhinoDoc View Post
Overall, I am thrilled with the new model and I think the complaints of it being difficult to read are overstated.
Thanks for posting a positive experience with the PRS700. I agree with you fully.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Wow! That's a full family of Readers!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote