Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-15-2008, 10:49 AM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
SkinIt review

So I had ordered a skin for my 505 through SkinIt.com. I pondered and pondered the choices, and ended up just going with solid black (I think they call it 'Midnight'). Anyway, it came yesterday, and I was on fire to get it stuck on. I can't say I was pleased with the result, but maybe some of that was me.

The pros:

1. The skin actually has graphics on it for the numbers that run down the buttons on the right side of the reader, which was nice.

2. It appeared to be pretty high quality material--I'm pretty sure it was trademarked 3M, and labeled as automotive strength adhesive.

The cons:

1. It doesn't cover the whole reader (I'll explain, but I should have taken pics). It's 2 separate pieces of 'skin'...one for the front, and one for the back. The one for the front covers the whole front, and has enough extra to fold over the right side of the reader and cover the seam of the piece on the back. The left side ended up about 1/2" short of covering, so there was a 1/2" strip still silver on the left side of the reader. There was no way to alter the position to "even it out" because of the cut-outs for the buttons, which have to line up. So I'm not sure if that was a mistake, or just the way its supposed to be.

2. You need to have the hands of a surgeon to get this thing on right. Or at least not the hands of a bumbling idiot . I had at least two or three places where I got wrinkles that were very hard to get out. Once the skin has been stuck down, it's also hard to pull it up and reposition, because that will stretch it out of shape. As a result of doing that, I also had a spot which clearly looked...well...just kind of wrong. It was also super hard to line everything up right so that it was nice and even around all the edges.

Keep in mind, I'm relatively OCD, so if you don't mind a few imperfections, it is a nice looking product. I ended up tearing it off because the wrinkles and whatnot bothered me too much
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Thanks for the review, PsyDocJoanne -- I'd been looking at these (even though they don't have them for my trusty 500), but based on your experiences ... I think I'm gonna give them a pass.

The idea is nifty, no question, but the execution looks to be more hassle than I care to mess with.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM   #3
Gravitas
Muppet
Gravitas doesn't litterGravitas doesn't litter

Device: Zen Vision :M / Nokia 5800 musicXpress / Sony PRS500
I got something similar for my mobile phone - had the same issues. you get a front and a back but they don't cover the whole phone so I still have a strip of original phone colour still showing.

I don't think I'd use one again for another device.
Gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 12:26 PM   #4
PsyDocJoanne
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Hi NatCh...

I was able to get it at a discount, thanks to a code from another MobileReader, so I'm only out $15 instead of around $25 (including shipping), which softens the blow.

But if I remember correctly, the James Patterson reader offered a while ago by Sony came with a red Patterson skin that you had to install yourself. That would have ticked me off....I wonder, did anyone here order that and install it? If so, what were your experiences?

I, too, think it's a good idea....but with questionable execution. And in all honesty, I don't think the reader is a great device for it, what with all the cutouts and edges that have to be lined up.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM   #5
revfish
The Pastor of Disaster
revfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-booksrevfish has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-650, Apple iPad 3 64GB Wifi
I got one for my iPod recently and really like that it adds my personal touch to my device. I got my skin for my Reader yesterday and applied it, after a few issues getting it lined up as well. I was disappointed by a couple other things. I used a custom graphic but it didn't print it all the way to the edge so I would up with a white strip on the back of the device about 1/32" wide. Luckily, due to the design, I was able to camouflage it with black Sharpie. The spaces that I left in the image for the cutouts for the buttons on the front of the device did not match up exactly. I wound up putting all of the labels on it rather than letting them be the cutouts they were meant to be. Also, I really don't like the red numbers that they put on it (and make impossible to remove from the template) as I had already included the numbers in my design.

All in all, I am using it as is, but if I had paid full price for it, I would be upset. Luckily, I got to use the discount code so I didn't get ripped on it.

I will see about getting pics today to post.
revfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
I was disappointed by mine as well. I went for a custom one in metallic reddish tones since I really want but can't justify buying a Sangria red Reader. The resulting skin ended up being more toward maroon than red and no hint of metallic. (I did realize that was a longshot) I did manage to get complete coverage with maybe a sliver showing on the back near the cover 'hinge'. It was a real pain to get the holes lined up; like PsyDocJoanne I'm a bit OCD about that, the bookmark and text size ones were off centered once I got the rest lined up. I also didn't care for the red numbers, they seemed rather garish. I would have preferred the contrast of black or white instead. Then there were the stretch marks around the upper left corner where the material was such a narrow band and other pinpoint imperfections that my eyes were drawn to consistently. All in all it was too much distraction from what I was reading so after a month or so I took it off.

I do like the new laptop cover I got yesterday in one of their new Mandala patterns even it the background is more of an ecru than the pure white they showed and has subtle markings to make it look stone-like I suppose.
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
PsyDocJoanne

Quote:
Then there were the stretch marks around the upper left corner where the material was such a narrow band and other pinpoint imperfections that my eyes were drawn to consistently.
Ha! So I'm not the only one!

I had a tiny, tiny spot (like the size of the tip of a really sharp pencil) where clearly some piece of debris had gotten stuck under the skin. And I could not stop looking at it, each and every time I picked up the reader. I wish I was one of those people who wouldn't even notice such a thing!
Old 10-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #8
MarciaCat
Cat Lady & Trekkie
MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarciaCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Kobo Aura & Aura H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
Ha! So I'm not the only one!

I had a tiny, tiny spot (like the size of the tip of a really sharp pencil) where clearly some piece of debris had gotten stuck under the skin. And I could not stop looking at it, each and every time I picked up the reader. I wish I was one of those people who wouldn't even notice such a thing!
That's exactly what my problem was. It was like there were flashing lights on each imperfection! I kept picking at it lifting the edges trying to get it smoothed out. Of course it was only on the front; the back was perfectly smooth!
MarciaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 PM   #9
PsyDocJoanne

MarciaCat, your post had me nearly laughing out loud in my office

The back piece of mine looked great, too....smooth, debris-free, lined up neatly....but the front--disastrous! Well, disastrous for me...I don't want to make anyone think this is a terrible product...it's only a terrible product if you're OCD with shaky hands
Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 AM   #10
ZenEngineer
Connoisseur
ZenEngineer has learned how to buy an e-book online

I got the Patterson skinit as part of the package and had no problem putting it on my Reader. I only got one wrinkle on the right hand edge (going around the corner). There was also an uncovered strip about 1/8" wide, but at the left edge where it snaps into the cover. I like it, but not sure I would pay much money for it.
ZenEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:53 AM   #11
TetraKM
Connoisseur
TetraKM doesn't litterTetraKM doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I think the only skin I would consider is one that waterproof's my shiney so that I can read it in the bath.
TetraKM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:12 AM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TetraKM View Post
I think the only skin I would consider is one that waterproof's my shiney so that I can read it in the bath.
I have a box of "Zip Lock" (brand) bags that I can offer for bath use. Remove the Reader from the case, turn the Reader on, insert into the bag, seal the bag, read.

Some may want to use the vacuum type sealers but since they claim they can crush a 12 oz soda can I am reluctant to try it with the e-ink screen.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I have a box of "Zip Lock" (brand) bags that I can offer for bath use. Remove the Reader from the case, turn the Reader on, insert into the bag, seal the bag, read.

Some may want to use the vacuum type sealers but since they claim they can crush a 12 oz soda can I am reluctant to try it with the e-ink screen.
Actually, it is the removal of airpressure that crushes the cans. Since the reader isn't full of air I don't think there is any chance of that. Also, you can stop the air removal at any point you want.

Not that I've tired this mind you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
PsyDocJoanne

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, it is the removal of airpressure that crushes the cans. Since the reader isn't full of air I don't think there is any chance of that. Also, you can stop the air removal at any point you want.

Not that I've tired this mind you.

BOb
I'm a big fan of the quart-size freezer Ziplocs....but I've considered using a vacuum sealer. Like Bob, I don't think it would hurt the reader...and I think you could use an exacto knife to trim the edges down nicely, so that you could leave it semi-permanently sealed (I'm thinking I would cut out small openings for the charger and the USB, as long as I wasn't going to the beach or anything). If I try this, I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:31 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
(I'm thinking I would cut out small openings for the charger and the USB, as long as I wasn't going to the beach or anything). If I try this, I'll let you all know how it turns out.
As soon as you cut the bag you will loose the vacuum and it won't be nicely formed to the device any more.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote