Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
swirllygig
swirllygig began at the beginning.

Device: sony e600
Arc 10 hd collections problem

Hi all just recently purchased a arc 10 hd tablet, and have run into a problem I install books onto the tablet using calibre which works fine sync arc and it installs all the books and covers into a collection just called books, I then make and move books into new collections sci fi, history etc, and all the books go over fine, but eventually over time all the books from the collections dissapear, although the books remain in the original book collection (which is pre made by the arc), but there covers are now missing. This does not happen if i turn off wi-fi.
does any one know why this happens ??

Kobo care just told me to restart the tablet which did not help

Last edited by swirllygig; 11-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
swirllygig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 05:49 PM   #2
swirllygig

Bloody hell can some one please clarify to me as kobo seem unwilling to do so ,can I load books from other sources ie calibre onto the device, without which I assume what is happening kobo sync deleting the books, if this is the case the reader will be returned as I do not fancy purchasing all my kindle collection again just to satisfy kobo
Thanks in advance.
Advert
Old 11-15-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
kimicocopop
kimicocopop began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch, kindle fire, possibly Kobo Arc
I don't know about calibre specifically & I don't have the newest arc (so I'm not extremely helpful I guess lol). But with the original, which I do have, Kindle books could never be transferred over. You have to use the kindle reading app & access your books through the app itself.
kimicocopop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #4
swirllygig

yes it appears that way for mobi. But even other epub books i have will not stay in collections. So i think only kobo bought books will stay in collections
Old 11-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Hi, I have an original Arc, I obtain books from various sources, even Amazon and convert them to epub using Calibre. I transfer the these books over to my Arc via Android File Transfer, just to set the scene.

You are correct, my experience is that titles other than those obtained from Kobo do not remain fully within the Kobo software on my Arc, given that these titles would not show in your Kobo account I would see this as being the probable answer. Well that is what I think.

The mere sync of my Arc to my Kobo account would seem to bear this out. I don't worry to much about this as I manage all my books on my iMac with Calibre, using my Arc for reading and surfing and not for library management.

Sounds a bit disjointed but "technology" is never perfect, blame the humans!

As for Kobo's solution, well the lack of understanding by the help desk staff is not surprising, it would seem a restart solves "all" problems! One does wonder though at the complete lack of product awareness by the help desk people, then reading solutions from a computer screen never really solved anything. This however is how many help desks operate these days and not just Kobo's.

Just my opinion of course.
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
swirllygig

I have solved the problem not to my liking as I bought the arc because I liked the look of the kobo interface, by purchasing a android book reader called mantano, which is actually better as it also shows pdf format as well. I think what is req is a bit of cloud storage from kobo to upload other books, to library.

A few strange points I have noticed, one once a book is closed i.e read it is put into a collection called read books (strangely enough), which then stay there ?, also I had put some recipes from cook books into a collection called recipes (created by myself), but noticed the arc transferred the whole book not just the recipe page, which also stay in the collection after syncing.