Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Smarten punctuation only?

Hi folks!

I've been using Sigil to code my first epub, and as I get closer to completing it I thought a nice typographical "tweak" would be to get all my apostrophes and quotation marks converted to "smart" (or "curly") ones. I searched around to see if there was an easy way to do this, and discovered that Calibre has it built right in! Yippee!

So I ran my epub through it (making sure to back it up first), but Calibre invariably changes all my code all over the place and makes a total mess of things.

I'm utterly unfamiliar with Calibre, but is there a way that I could use the "smarten punctuation" feature ONLY, and leave absolutely everything else alone, and not mess with my HTML or CSS or anything else?
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The Modify Epub plugin will allow you to smarten the punctuation without doing a wholesale conversion, as will the "Polish books" feature of calibre (may need to add it to an existing toolbar/menu in preferences).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Psymon
Chief Bohemian Misfit
Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psymon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, ADE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
The Modify Epub plugin will allow you to smarten the punctuation without doing a wholesale conversion, as will the "Polish books" feature of calibre (may need to add it to an existing toolbar/menu in preferences).
Awesome! Took me a while to find figure out where/how to add that "Polish Books" button to the toolbar, but that seems to have done the trick! At least, it's "polished" now, and as far as I can tell the HTML, etc. is all okay (Sigil did a "fix" on the files when I re-opened the revised epub), and now I just need to check it all over visually to confirm for sure it's all okay -- but so far so good!

Thanks so much!
Psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Not a problem. Glad to help!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote