Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
Darthmom
Darthmom began at the beginning.

Device: the first one that's backlit
Hello - I can't use e-readers

Hi there

I don't have an e-reader. I've borrowed and tried several different ones, but it's always the same issue - I simply can't read them.

Am I actually the only one here with serious vision issues? I suppose a tablet is an option - but want I want is an e-reader - not another computer.

I am aware of the option to make print larger, ditch serif fonts etc, but with my vision I don't need "Bigger", I need "brighter" (higher contrast) - I do not perceive available light, so unless I'm sitting under direct, very bright light reading any kind of printed material is becoming difficult to impossible. (if I have the right light, I can read the fine print off of medicine bottles - it's all about light, not the size) I found it sadly ironic that I picked up this months Consumer Reports to check out the ereader tests - and have to wait for someone to come and read it to me.

I've seen several people in here ask about a backlight option - mostly because they need to read in low light, not to disturb others etc etc - and most of the time the answer is some variation on "get better lighting" -so as I wander through the forums you may hear my lament from time to time.

Cheers
Darthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthmom View Post
I am aware of the option to make print larger, ditch serif fonts etc, but with my vision I don't need "Bigger", I need "brighter" (higher contrast) - I do not perceive available light, so unless I'm sitting under direct, very bright light reading any kind of printed material is becoming difficult to impossible.
Welcome. It sounds like you would be a good candidate for the Nook Color, a ereader with a bright backlit screen and good contrast. I run Android on mine and use it primarily as a tablet, but many people are perfectly happy with the stock Barnes & Noble firmware.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Hi Darthmom and welcome to Mobileread. My wife uses an iPad as an ereader (and for lots of other things too), but the ability to adjust font, size and brightness seems to meet her needs in most situations.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote