Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #46
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
WOT?

What wot?
Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" most excellent series. Fantasy, but not your typical elves frolicking in the woods fantasy
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" most excellent series. Fantasy, but not your typical elves frolicking in the woods fantasy
Ah....thanks.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 03:37 PM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
I've not read it, but it is highly recommended by my son (the astrophysicist).
It sounds interesting. I may have to download a sample if I can find one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:44 PM   #49
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It sounds interesting. I may have to download a sample if I can find one.
http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Compass...=AG56TWVU5XWC2
Old 09-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks, but I already found it!
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 03:47 PM   #51
kennyc

Quote:
Thanks, but I already found it!

Then consider my post in the interest of everyone else.
Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 PM   #52
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
I am not at all a fan of Pullman. I only read The Golden Compass because I didn't like the story or the characters enough to continue.
Then I bet you'd really "love" these!:

http://www.amazon.com/Jehovah-Contra.../dp/158445024X

http://www.amazon.com/Job-Comedy-Jus.../dp/0345316509

Oh! And the works of James Morrow!

Last edited by ardeegee; 09-28-2010 at 04:33 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:43 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
You'd probably get a big kick out of the short story "Mr. Big" by Woody Allen. It's a tale told in film-noir style about a detective who's been hired to find God: the all-powerful, all-knowing, supreme Creator. A nutty request, but when you look as good as the buxom young lady who hired him, you don't ask questions. Events take a really strange turn when he gets a call from the local police headquarters informing him that someone meeting that description just turned up in the morgue. It's in his book Getting Even. Unfortunately, it's not available as an ebook.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-29-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:29 PM   #54
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's in his book Getting Even. Unfortunately, it's not available as an ebook.
Depends on what your definition of "available" is. I got it from the very first google hit:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_QyAM0

Last edited by ardeegee; 09-28-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:41 PM   #55
kennyc

You know I actually have a paperback copy of "Towing Jehovah" that's been on my to-read list since it was available.....
Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #56
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Harry Potter tops my list of my favorite banned books. I've got to read more books on this list. Who are these people who want to ban these books?
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:33 PM   #57
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Depends on what your definition of "available" is. I got it from the very first google hit:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_QyAM0
Maybe I should have said legally.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #58
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Then I bet you'd really "love" these!:

http://www.amazon.com/Jehovah-Contra.../dp/158445024X

Oh! And the works of James Morrow!
Are these good stories? I didn't like the story and main character in Golden Compass. It had nothing to do with the philosophy presented. I read Da Vinci Code -- a decent story, but not great -- afterward I Angels and Demons, which was much better And nobody makes money hating Christianity (and walking all over the laws of physics) quite like Dan Brown.

To me, a good story is a good story. It's theme may be something I 100% disagree with, but then it becomes a catalyst for discussion, and that can be great fun (as long as it's respectful, of course).

Oh, and the Woody Allen book sounds fun! I'm betting I'm going to have his whiny nasal voice in my head the whole time I read it... I can't wait!

-Pie

Last edited by EatingPie; 09-28-2010 at 10:32 PM.
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #59
EatingPie
Blueberry!
EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.EatingPie puts his or her pants on both legs at a time.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (RIP); PRS-600 (Good Riddance); PRS-505; PRS-650; PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaraM View Post
Harry Potter tops my list of my favorite banned books. I've got to read more books on this list. Who are these people who want to ban these books?
Depends on the reason. #1 most common is sexual situations [insert favorite prude synonym here]. #2 is inappropriate for age range [most likely parents]. I don't so much consider #2 as a request to ban, but a request to delay. I've told my daughter she can't read Twilight until she's older. I also delayed her reading Harry Potter because I thought it would scare her.

-Pie
EatingPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #60
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatingPie View Post
Are these good stories?
(Shrug) I thought the Dark Materials books had a good story.