Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-20-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
You know what's really weird?

Going back and re-reading short stories and articles that you wrote 20 years ago!

It is so weird. Not the writing, even, though it is really not that horrible -- I probably deleted the really bad stuff, but to read it almost as though it was written by someone else -- which in a way it was. I look at the date and know it was just a year before the divorce, with three kids ages 1,3,5 -- the changes that I've been through in the last twenty years, the stories I was writing, and also thinking what if I'd kept pushing myself to write and publish as hard as I was pushing then. Where would I be now, what would be different.

Like I said weird, really weird....

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #2
Chriskander
writer
Chriskander began at the beginning.

Device: ebookwise 1150
More than weird, I expect. I have the sealed pages of a historical novel manuscript that I peddled around about 35 years ago. It was a 150,000 word tome that garnered some pleasant rejection slips.

Could I open and read it? I wouldn't dare. Funnily enough it was weird --the title was "Wyrd's Harvest".

Christopher Hoare
The Iskander series – Arrival, Deadly Enterprise, The Wildcat’s Victory, The Wildcat's Burden
see links to all at –
http://www.double-dragon-ebooks.com/...topher%20Hoare
http://www.freewebs.com/chriskander/
http://thewildcatsvictory.wordpress.com
Chriskander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:40 AM   #3
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should take a peek Christopher.
Old 02-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
You should take a peek Christopher.
I've got to say, it's worth peeking. The novel that I had locked away for years had lots of embarrassing dialogue and over-exposition, but underneath all that fat was a really imaginative story with a nice structure worth resurrecting. It was 185K originally. I've cut it down to 166K and I'll probably cut another 50K.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #5
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASparrow View Post
I've got to say, it's worth peeking. The novel that I had locked away for years had lots of embarrassing dialogue and over-exposition, but underneath all that fat was a really imaginative story with a nice structure worth resurrecting. It was 185K originally. I've cut it down to 166K and I'll probably cut another 50K.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
While cleaning out my closet yesterday, I found some fun surprises. Original short stories I wrote ten years ago. Awesomely bad. But I loved every minute of it.

And then to top things off, I opened up some more boxes and found a present my parents left me....

My first ever complete work. A storybook illustrated and written by yours truly. Seriously, I was 12. And it was bad. =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
While cleaning out my closet yesterday, I found some fun surprises. Original short stories I wrote ten years ago. Awesomely bad. But I loved every minute of it.

And then to top things off, I opened up some more boxes and found a present my parents left me....

My first ever complete work. A storybook illustrated and written by yours truly. Seriously, I was 12. And it was bad. =)

Old 03-01-2010, 09:57 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
You know what I think would be fun..a bad writing bowl

Post your worst.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
kennyc

Oh, no.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:41 AM   #10
ASparrow
Addict
ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ASparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh, no.
Horrors!!!

My first post-high school short story qualifies. It's about a vernal pond spirit whose pond dries up. It's quite wretched and thankfully survives only on a sheath of onion skin paper.
ASparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
David.Niall.Wils
Author & Digital Publishe
David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David.Niall.Wils ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I tend to erase my worst...but ...
David.Niall.Wils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
J. Dean
Author: Clade Josso
J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I had started a Star Trek novel in which the Borg end up smashing through the Federation, but looking back on it, the writing wasn't that good-at all!
J. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
How funny - I recently read some old short stories I hadn't seen in years. It was almost as if someone else wrote them, and yet I was pleased that they still worked. Thought about reworking a couple and posting them somewhere but they were actually typed on a typewriter (after first being written in long hand), so editing would involve putting them into my computer.
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #14
Kemp
Zealot
Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I saw a short story that I wrote in 9th grade... It was for English class, and it took place as a supplemental story to Homer's Odyssey. While sailing on the ship, the crew encounters a dragon...

Pretty sure I admitted, even back then, that it was a silly concept
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #15
lmpreston
YA Author
lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lmpreston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I still have my notebook of short stories and poetry...definately a good laugh.
lmpreston is offline   Reply With Quote