Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
Wall Street Journal still not convinced

Interesting article in the WSJ.

Also interested to see that, according to the article, BooksOnBoard apparently believe that a netbook is a better bet than a liseuse for most families.

E-Readers: They're Hot Now, But the Story Isn't Over
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
Interesting article in the WSJ.

Also interested to see that, according to the article, BooksOnBoard apparently believe that a netbook is a better bet than a liseuse for most families.

E-Readers: They're Hot Now, But the Story Isn't Over
yet another news item ruined by that silly word.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:54 AM   #3
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

It's terrible, I agree. Here, I've corrected it for them

Liseuses: They're Hot Now, But the Story Isn't Over
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If Mr. Geoffrey A. Fowler could show me a 10-ounce netbook with e-ink under $300.00, I'd say he had a point.

Truth is; barring some global, civilization-ending catastrophe, one day e-readers will be supplanted by something better -- as will netbooks, laptops, and desktops. But for now and for the near future, if you're a serious reader, e-readers can't be beat.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
If Mr. Geoffrey A. Fowler could show me a 10-ounce netbook with e-ink under $300.00, I'd say he had a point.

Truth is; barring some global, civilization-ending catastrophe, one day e-readers will be supplanted by something better -- as will netbooks, laptops, and desktops. But for now and for the near future, if you're a serious reader, e-readers can't be beat.
I agree. I'm also getting very tired about not being able to lend out books. I can count the amount of books (of the paper kind) I've lent out on one hand. Most people I know don't read what I read and I don't read what they read. So, should I not buy pbooks because I can't lend them out?

While I would like to buy a true tablet PC, the price is holding me back. And I don't see myself reading with a netbook in bed...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:14 AM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Indeed, many e-book readers place limits on how and where consumers can use them. Only the Nook allows people to share some of their books with a friend by wirelessly transmitting them—and even then, you can share each book just once and only for 14 days. And only Sony's Readers make it easy to check out free books from Overdrive Inc., the e-book service used by many public libraries.

This is blatantly untrue. Any ADE device can checkout EPUB and PDF library books. Any device that supports mobipocket DRM (I.E. Cybook Gen 3, Hanlin V3s with the old firmware, IRex devices) can checkout mobipocket library books.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And thrashed to its death by suggesting that the vaporware Apple tablet will set the reading world ablaze.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
... I'm also getting very tired about not being able to lend out books....
I never offer to lend a book, and a cold shiver comes over me whenever someone asks to borrow one. I've lost more good books that way!

Here's the real LOL moment in that entire article, however:

"Ms. Broughton says she can't recommend the Kindle to people who aren't technically savvy ..."

If operating a Kindle is beyond someone's expertise, how can they possible be expected to read on a netbook or a PC? With a Kindle, all you have to do is turn 'em on, download a book, and start flipping pages. How "technically savvy" do people have to be to do that?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:20 AM   #9
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Unfortunately I agree with most of what the article says. Ereaders are too expensive and you get more for your money buying an netbook. Also we are in a format war and today's purchase might not work with tomorrows technology. While many on this board are tech savvy enough to strip DRM and convert, more folks do not.

Is there any ounce of regret, me buying an ereader, none whatsoever

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Here's the real LOL moment in that entire article, however:

"Ms. Broughton says she can't recommend the Kindle to people who aren't technically savvy ..."
Actually the complete sentence is. emphasis is mine.
Quote:
But Ms. Broughton says she can't recommend the Kindle to people who aren't technically savvy and might want to purchase their books anywhere other than the Amazon store. That's because the Kindle doesn't read copyright protected files from other bookstores or libraries
Which is a subtle statement that implies the stripping of DRM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:36 AM   #10
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
This is blatantly untrue. Any ADE device can checkout EPUB and PDF library books. Any device that supports mobipocket DRM (I.E. Cybook Gen 3, Hanlin V3s with the old firmware, IRex devices) can checkout mobipocket library books.

Luqman
The weasel wording here is "makes it easy". The author gets to determine what is easy and what isn't. Considering that he's quoting a user who thinks a Kindle requires technical skill to use anything other than Amazon-sourced e-books, his definition of easy is pretty clear.

The quote from BoB about netbooks is just bizarre. As written (which may or may not be the way Bob LiVolsi actually said it) it sounds like: If you like technology, not books, get a dedicated reading device. If you like books, not technology, get a low-powered, under-performing notebook computer. Huh?
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 10:59 AM   #11
bookfanmd
Addict
bookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura aboutbookfanmd has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony 300/505/T1 Nook STWG Kobo Glo Kobo Aura HD KDX iPad1 K3 KT PW2
I carry my reader in my purse and pull it out whenever I have a few minutes. It's great while waiting in line, at lunch at work or just waiting for someone to finish at the store. A few weeks ago a tree had fallen across the road on my way home and I didn't fret while waiting the 20 minutes for it to be removed - I just pulled out my reader and enjoyed the little break. I would never be able to do that with my netbook.
bookfanmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #12
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonkchapman View Post
The weasel wording here is "makes it easy". The author gets to determine what is easy and what isn't. Considering that he's quoting a user who thinks a Kindle requires technical skill to use anything other than Amazon-sourced e-books, his definition of easy is pretty clear.
But how does Sony make it any easier than any of its competitors? I would argue that the Mobi DRM supporting devices make it the easiest of all because you can just download your library book through any web browser and copy it to the device. There is no buggy, proprietary software involved as there is with ADE and Sony Ebook Library.

Luqman
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I am frankly getting tired of people comparing dedicated reading devices to netbooks. Yes, they may be still a bit expensive, but that doesn't mean that I am better off spending that money on something else that does more jobs, when reading is the only thing I am interested in. I have owned a computer for as long as I can remember, but I have wished for a dedicated reading device from the moment I realised there are books in digital form out there (that was before any such device was produced). Reading on a computer was never an option, unless you are at work and need to appear to be working while reading .
The ebook market does have a long way to go yet, but it's not the devices so much as the publishers that need to change. We need more ebooks, more reasonably priced, with less (or preferably no) drm. It's not the devices that prevent lending, it's the drm.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #14
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
once again, it would be really really nice if people at least used the item for a couple of weeks before they talk about it instead of going to a press conference and then heading back to their office and spewing drivel
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 AM   #15
marvmax
marvmax began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch 8gb
You guys are hilarious. I laughed my butt off reading this thread.

I wonder if the author of the article has ever used a reading device except for the one time that he read an article on one for "research" on this article? I've been using different reading devices for years now, and the one bad electronic reading experience that I have had was when I tried to read a book on a laptop. That almost put me off the whole concept. I can't imagine a netbook will be an improvement.
marvmax is offline   Reply With Quote