Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 04:41 PM   #46
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I admit to being puzzled by the way all the series is being oferred free. I can see what an author would offer the first in a series free, but not the others.
According to a comment she made on my Facebook a couple of days ago, she's giving the first seven away to boost sales on the most recent three books in her series.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:16 PM   #47
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Amazon UK have matched Nook UK

Farthing (Small Change Trilogy 1) by Jo Walton is £0.61

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GHK71NG/

FYI

Ha'penny (Small Change Trilogy 2) £4.79 Kindle Edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GHK71S6/

Half A Crown (Small Change Trilogy 3) £4.19 Kindle Edition

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00GHK71QS/
You know what would be a great bargain? Selling those books at the price of the title. Even half a crown isn't bad.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:37 PM   #48
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Self-pubbed so it might make sense to have all but the latest free (or to continue to rotate the free ones) to get noticed.
Iron Ax press, so technically not a violation of the "no self pub" rule of this thread.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #49
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
You know what would be a great bargain? Selling those books at the price of the title. Even half a crown isn't bad.
How much would a coin dealer want for a 1948 half crown etc. ?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #50
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
Iron Ax press, so technically not a violation of the "no self pub" rule of this thread.
As Iron Ax press doesn't exist as a company and publishes precisely 1 author (Pam Uphoff & Pam Uphoff writing as Zoey Ivers) I think it's fair to call this one self pubbed.

I wasn't complaining BTW, just answering pdurrant as to why so many were being offered free.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #51
Little.Egret
Wizard

Carrying on with Pam Uphoff

Dark Lady (Wine of the Gods number 8) free everywhere

She saved a world, but not perfectly, not everyone. Drained of her magic, exhausted, she could not block out the screams of the injured and dying. She could only flee through a dimensional gate to an unknown world.

A town that accepted her. A town that needed all of her limping, injured, magic to save them when they came under attack.

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Lady-Wine...dp/B00BMIEQIG/
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Lady-Wi...dp/B00BMIEQIG/
Old 01-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #52
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Self-pubbed so it might make sense to have all but the latest free (or to continue to rotate the free ones) to get noticed.
I think we seriously need a sticky from the moderators, clarifying policy. The title of this forum includes "No Self-Promotion." My interpretation of that is that an author cannot appear here, offering a discount on a book that they, themselves wrote. Joe Hill cannot place a post saying "NOS4A2 is on sale this week."

High Howey is a self-published author. When his ebooks go on sale, my interpretation of the rules of the forum are that anybody except Hugh Howey can start a thread here announcing it.

Am I getting this correct?
Old 01-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #53
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I thought the thread was only for commercially published books. As far as I know, the reason Pam Uphoff came up was in a discussion of how she uses free books as marketing tools.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:45 PM   #54
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
I think we seriously need a sticky from the moderators, clarifying policy. The title of this forum includes "No Self-Promotion." My interpretation of that is that an author cannot appear here, offering a discount on a book that they, themselves wrote. Joe Hill cannot place a post saying "NOS4A2 is on sale this week."

High Howey is a self-published author. When his ebooks go on sale, my interpretation of the rules of the forum are that anybody except Hugh Howey can start a thread here announcing it.

Am I getting this correct?
Yes, you're quite correct. Author's cannot advertise their own books, even if on special offer, outside the self-promotions forum.

This thread also asks for self-published books to not be posted, because there are so many of them, and of such variable quality.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:12 PM   #55
stutzj
Zealot
stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stutzj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD, PW2, Kindle 5(black)
My problem with not being able to post about self-published books is that the VAST amount of the books that are marketed and featured on Amazon(where I do 100% of my ebook shopping) are self published. While I agree that they may be of variable quality, under the rules for this thread, I can't share a link to a book featured on the kindle daily deal today. I've started reading "A Nameless Dwarf' and its really great. I want to recommend it here but its also published by Homunculus Books which is clear is the authors publishing co. So I guess I can't share it, but I think that's a shame since, like I mentioned, I'm enjoying it and it currently has a sales ranking of #45 which should mean that it is legit to a certain extent. Should there be a separate thread for Sci/Fantasy that is exclusively self published? I for one love discovering authors I have not heard of and am more far apt to take a risk an author when there books are on sale. I have discovered a number of books from this thread that are in fact self published and probably should not have been posted here based on the rules. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:05 PM   #56
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
I've posted about plenty of self-pubbed titles -- just not in this thread. If they're on sale, post a new topic for the book here in the Deals and Freebies section. If they're not on sale, and you just want people to know about a good ebook, post a new topic under Reading Recommendations. (Of course, this is only for books that you haven't written, published, etc.)

Last edited by cromag; 01-11-2014 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 10:08 PM   #57
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
It's my understanding that the writer himself/herself cannot advertise their own book outside of the self-publishing forum.
If you, stutzj, didn't write "A Nameless Dwarf", I see no reason why you couldn't recommend it in the "reading recommendations" forum.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:12 AM   #58
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stutzj View Post
I've started reading "A Nameless Dwarf' and its really great. I want to recommend it here but its also published by Homunculus Books which is clear is the authors publishing co.
Maybe instead of a flat "no self-pubs", the bar needs to be that you have read and enjoyed any that you post (or are at least willing to vouch for some level of quality). I agree that there's a lot of chaff in the self-pubbed books, but I also have found a selection of self-pubbed authors that I quite enjoy.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:43 AM   #59
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Maybe instead of a flat "no self-pubs", the bar needs to be that you have read and enjoyed any that you post (or are at least willing to vouch for some level of quality). I agree that there's a lot of chaff in the self-pubbed books, but I also have found a selection of self-pubbed authors that I quite enjoy.
That's a good suggestion. I have a sudden sense of deja-vu, but I'll risk adding that qualifier to the thread specification.
Old 01-12-2014, 05:01 AM   #60
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
I'll second that suggestion, especially as there are some tradpub writers who've started self-publishing at least some of their work. I can think of a few cases where a series was being traditionally published, then the publisher dropped it, and the author self-published the rest.

Seanan McGuire is a useful example; she's got a two-book* tradpub UF series for which she's published three tie-in stories in tradpub anthologies...along with several more tie-in stories that she just self-publishes on her website in assorted ebook formats. IIRC, three of those self-pub stories were up for Hugos in 2013. To further complicate things, a small press (associated with a convention) has collected and published two volumes of stories that she originally self-published in a similar way.

* Soon to be more; book three of at least four comes out in a couple of months.
Closed Thread