Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-26-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
porga
Connoisseur
porga began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 912 Pro
Pocketbook 912 - letters contrast in PDF books?

Since this device has multiple levels of grey, I notice that in some PDF books, if zoom is on lower level, letters as so light so they are barely visible.

I wouls like to know is there a way to increase contrast or to put device in black/white mode (without levels of grey) in such cases?

Black/White mode would increase visibility of small letters on screen, I think.

Also, it would be interesting to have a way to "crop" white book margins in PDF books. Zooming can do the trick, but I think white space crop could be done on OS software level.

Maybe this can be interesting for new firmware version (if it ever comes).
Thanks.
porga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
PDF is supported but only accidentially because the main reader-software is from Adobe.
there is no way to improve the contrast in PDFs with a weak font.
If you are working mainly PDFs you should consider switching over to a tablet.

Cropping is possible in the new FW of the 622, so I expect it to come up sooner or later
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
porga
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
If you are working mainly PDFs you should consider switching over to a tablet.
I deliberately choose E-ink screen over tablet, because I stare at computer screen all day at work, so I wanted screen without backlight for reading.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The best that you can do is to read such files in landscape mode, so that the print appears larger.

Someone was working on a program called k2pdfopt that could be used to convert PDF files to another layout. It worked pretty well, but unfortunately it converted the output to static images rather than PDF, so you couldn't follow links or search the text anymore. Still, if you just want to read the file from start to finish, converting with k2pdfopt is not a bad option. Search the MobileRead forums to find the thread where the program was introduced.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
porga
Connoisseur

Thanks for the tip. I also found info about BRISS

That app can crop extra white space per demand, and retain all the info inside PDF (chapters, etc) as I can see.