Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-30-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Crayak
Crayak began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Help needed: Kindle Touch dictionaries have stopped working

[RESOLVED]
I resolved this issue as follows:
I deleted and re-downloaded all dictionaries and their associated data and then did a hard reset (pressing the power button for 20s).
I'm unsure how a hard reset differs from a restart via the menu, but those steps worked for me.

---

I have a Kindle Touch that is jailbroken, updated to 5.1.0 and has the GUI Launcher 1.2.1 installed.

Today I realized that dictionary look-up is no longer working:

My dictionaries are still shown in the menu under 'Dictionaries' but they don't appear when highlighting a word and they don't appear under Settings > Dictionaries.

I searched around and there are some people with similar problems:
  • Some report that simply restarting the KT resolved the issue. This does not work for me.
  • Some report that this problem is connect to the language settings. I have changed the language after updating to 5.1.0 and this seems to be the moment dictionaries ceased to work. But switching back to English did not resolve the issue.

Is anybody experiencing something similar?
Help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Crayak; 05-31-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Resolved
Crayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayak View Post
I have a Kindle Touch that is jailbroken, updated to 5.1.0 and has the GUI Launcher 1.2.1 installed.

Today I realized that dictionary look-up is no longer working:

My dictionaries are still shown in the menu under 'Dictionaries' but they don't appear when highlighting a word and they don't appear under Settings > Dictionaries.

I searched around and there are some people with similar problems:
  • Some report that simply restarting the KT resolved the issue. This does not work for me.
  • Some report that this problem is connect to the language settings. I have changed the language after updating to 5.1.0 and this seems to be the moment dictionaries ceased to work. But switching back to English did not resolve the issue.

Is anybody experiencing something similar?
Help is greatly appreciated!
What did you do after switching back to English?
Did you try a restart after making that change in case that is required for the change to take effect?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Crayak

Yes, I restarted a bunch of times, but to no avail.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
captainreuben
captainreuben began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Funnily enough I had this same problem, and I feel your pain.

Had to take my KT back after some water damage, so I can't say how to fix it, just sympathising.

ps. Have you tried removing them from the device? Make a copy first of course. I think I remember doing that, then re-adding them to fix it.

Last edited by captainreuben; 05-31-2012 at 12:18 PM. Reason: My memory returns.
captainreuben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Crayak

Thanks for your help!
I resolved the issue (see first post).
Old 05-31-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayak View Post
Thanks for your help!
I resolved the issue (see first post).
Thanks for updating the first post with the "Fix HowTo".
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionaries, languages