Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-05-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
novation
novation began at the beginning.

Device: none
Warnings using KindleGen – epub to mobi

I'm trying to convert a validating epub book to mobi. Using KindleGen, I get warnings that I have no idea how to fix. I'm a newbie at this game. The book looks fine when I look at in in the Kindle Previewer. The warnings that I see are –

Warning(prcgen):W14023: Failed to add the guide item to the book : text
Warning(prcgen):W14023: Failed to add the guide item to the book : notes

I also see –
Info(pagemap):I8000: No Page map found in the book

Is this a problem? When I open the book in Kindle Previewer, it always opens up to the first chapter, ignoring all the front matter to the book. Is this why? If so, how do I fix it?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!
novation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:05 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Would need to the see opf in order to give any real advice... but:

The page map thing you can safely ignore. As for the guide items, I'm not sure what the 'notes' item is, but I doubt that mobi supports it. The 'text'-type reference item can be used to tell the reader where to open the very first time, but without seeing the opf file, it's pretty hard to see what may be going wrong.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-05-2012 at 05:56 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
novation

Thanks for your reply. I'm attaching the opf file so you can take a look.
Attached Files
File Type: opf content.opf (12.9 KB, 615 views)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Yeah, none of those reference types will do you any good in a kindle MOBI anyway, with the exception of the "toc" entry and the first "text" entry (kindlegen will only use ONE reference item of the type "text". And it will use that to create the point at which to open the ebook the first time). The cover is taken care of with the meta-name "cover" and the corresponding entry in the manifest.

Just get rid of all the reference items in the guide section except:
Code:
<reference href="Text/Section0004.xhtml" title="Table Of Contents" type="toc" />
<reference href="Text/eFT_layout1.xhtml" title="Text" type="text" />
...and if eFT_layout1.xhtml isn't where you want the book to open to the very first time... change it to the file that IS where you want it to open. Such as:
Code:
<reference href="Text/eFT_FrontMatter.xhtml" title="Text" type="text" />
or
Code:
<reference href="Text/Section0010.xhtml" title="Text" type="text" />
or whatever you want.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
novation

Thanks again for your help...
I deleted the guide references as you recommended, leaving only the toc and "start reading" reference – and now I am getting another set of warnings.

This is what I presently have in the guide section.
<reference href="Text/Section0004.xhtml" title="Table Of Contents" type="toc" />
<reference href="Section0010.xhtml" title="Text" type="text" />
<reference href="Text/eFT_FrontMatter.xhtml" title="Cover" type="cover" />

I am attaching a screen shot of the info generated from KindleGen. I haven't changed anything else in the file and now the hyperlinks aren't working?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleGenWarnings.png
Views:	709
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	83547  
Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
novation

Ah! Got it. The title in the Section0010 file was incorrect. All is working now.

Thank you soooooo much. This has been a long slog.

What's your recommendation for a great book to keep along side my computer when working on ebooks?

https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
Old 03-11-2012, 01:40 PM   #7
barncat
barncat began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Here's a suggestion from a newbi: don't use KindleGen directly. Open your epub in Kindle previewer, and it will do the conversion for you. Anything that involves Terminal on Mac is a little dicey for those of us who aren't up on it. And a good book? Anything by Liz Castro.
barncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
novation

Thanks, Barncat. I learned the hard way – it took me about an hour reading blogs and trying to figure out the Terminal thing. Not a Mac thing for sure. I'll check out Liz Castro's books, too.

And now on to getting this book on the iTunes bookstore...I hope it a bit easier but I have my doubts!