Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
sewnlady
sewnlady began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Hello

I just got my Kindle Fire and just getting acquainted with it. I have some questions that I have not yet figured out. Has anyone tried to download any books from open Library to the their Kindle Fire?
sewnlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, sewnlady.

Try looking on the Kindle Fire forum or asking a question there for help. Enjoy the forums.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=243
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
sewnlady

Thanks. I tried to download from open library and the Kindle said that it didn't support that format and then when I went to another place and it sent me straight to Amazon and it didn't download the book just said that I needed to have a Kindle and have it registered and I do and i did. Thanks for your help though and I will go check that out.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #4
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I am not all that familiar with open libray, but just playing around with it I think I can see the problems you're having. first, when you download a book it is best to download the mobi format - that can be read by the Kindle Fire most easily. You can download on to a pc then transfer to the Kindle with a USB cable.

The other problem of not being able to send a book to the Kindle in the usual way is a result of the Fire having a different email mechanism than other Kindles. I haven't figured out why, but Amazon doesn't let you manage a Kindle Fire the same way as, for instance, a Kindle Touch. If you look under "documents" on your Fire you will see the @kindle.com address associated with your Fire, and you can send any document to that address and it will appear on your Fire in that folder. you can do this with books, word docs, etc.

EDIT: tried downloading a book to Fire directly and it didn't work. Am testing other methods.

2nd EDIT: okay, it looks like you can download books directly to the Kindle, just put them in the Documents folder. You may need to reboot the device to have them show up. Also, some documents from openlibray may have DRM and may not open - this seems strange to me, but during testing I got a DRM warning so I figured I'd add that disclaimer. I had been messing with the book title and extension though, so I might have caused it.

Last edited by weatherman; 11-25-2011 at 08:16 AM.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherman View Post
I am not all that familiar with open libray, but just playing around with it I think I can see the problems you're having. first, when you download a book it is best to download the mobi format - that can be read by the Kindle Fire most easily. You can download on to a pc then transfer to the Kindle with a USB cable.

The other problem of not being able to send a book to the Kindle in the usual way is a result of the Fire having a different email mechanism than other Kindles. I haven't figured out why, but Amazon doesn't let you manage a Kindle Fire the same way as, for instance, a Kindle Touch. If you look under "documents" on your Fire you will see the @kindle.com address associated with your Fire, and you can send any document to that address and it will appear on your Fire in that folder. you can do this with books, word docs, etc.

EDIT: tried downloading a book to Fire directly and it didn't work. Am testing other methods.

2nd EDIT: okay, it looks like you can download books directly to the Kindle, just put them in the Documents folder. You may need to reboot the device to have them show up. Also, some documents from openlibray may have DRM and may not open - this seems strange to me, but during testing I got a DRM warning so I figured I'd add that disclaimer. I had been messing with the book title and extension though, so I might have caused it.
No need to restart the Fire. Just use File Expert to open them in the Kindle app. There is a tutorial in the Fire tips thread I posted.

Last edited by Blossom; 11-25-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Blossom - yeah, I knew there was a way, but I was using ES File Explorer instead of File Expert, and it didn't work the same way. Thanks for pointing that out. File Expert is a must-have app.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Blossom - yeah, I knew there was a way, but I was using ES File Explorer instead of File Expert, and it didn't work the same way. Thanks for pointing that out. File Expert is a must-have app.
If Amazon listens to feedback I sent they will add mobi files to be associated to the Kindle app. I can't believe they didn't foresee the need for this.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
sewnlady

Thumbs up email for kindle fire

I saw someone posted about the kindle fire epaulet address and using that to get books or other documents to the kindle. How do you use that address? I did figure out how to get books from project gutenberg to work but not open library yet. Can you use dropbox? When I downloaded from open library I used the awz format and it still didn't show up in either the books or docs folders. I have to say though that when I have called amazon they have been very helpful.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
weatherman
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnlady View Post
I saw someone posted about the kindle fire epaulet address and using that to get books or other documents to the kindle.How do
you use that address?
I'm going to assume that "epaulet" is some kind of spellcheck mistake for email. Anwyay, your Kindle Fire comes with its own email address, which is displayed at the top of the Docs tab. Send an email with an attachement of just about anything you like to that email address and the document will be converted and loaded in to your Fire. It will be in the Docs tab though, no matter what kind of file you send.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewnlady View Post
I did figure out how to get books from project gutenberg to work but not open library yet. Can you use dropbox? When I downloaded from open library I used the awz format and it still didn't show up in either the books or docs folders. I have to say though that when I have called amazon they have been very helpful.
I don't know anything about Dropbox, but if you download the azw or mobi file to your computer and then transfer to your Fire with a USB cable to the Books folder, it will appear in your Books library. If you download them directly to the Fire, my understanding is that you must find them with a file manager application (i.e. ES File Manager) and then open them from there.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
I'm going to assume that "epaulet" is some kind of spellcheck mistake for email. Anwyay, your Kindle Fire comes with its own email address, which is displayed at the top of the Docs tab. Send an email with an attachement of just about anything you like to that email address and the document will be converted and loaded in to your Fire. It will be in the Docs tab though, no matter what kind of file you send.

I don't know anything about Dropbox, but if you download the azw or mobi file to your computer and then transfer to your Fire with a USB cable to the Books folder, it will appear in your Books library. If you download them directly to the Fire, my understanding is that you must find them with a file manager application (i.e. ES File Manager) and then open them from there.
Download it with Dropbox then use File Expert to open it with Kindle for it to show up on the Fire.