Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: sony reader
Ugh, prs-t1 froze...touch no longer works...how do i

turn off the device when i can't touch the screen...i'm sure there's some type of key combination to do a hard reset/shutdown.
krighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
krighton
Addict
krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.krighton is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

found the reset button, kind of sad this thing has frozen like that after 2 days of use.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:11 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
found the reset button, kind of sad this thing has frozen like that after 2 days of use.
Rather depends on cause of freeze... inadequate charge, a particular book at a particular point... it isn't always (or even usually) the reader's fault...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Rather depends on cause of freeze... inadequate charge, a particular book at a particular point... it isn't always (or even usually) the reader's fault...
In this case I would disagree. The T1 seems to be somewhat unstable and crashes fairly often. At least that's what I've found. I get messages that say Applications Manager has unexpectly stopped functioning, force close. Or words to that effect.

Mine was crashing a fair bit when I was trying to organize my collections on the unit then it stopped. But it recently crashed again when I was trying to download a library book.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
lightforx
Enthusiast
lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.lightforx for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by krighton View Post
mine froze on day one after extensive manga reading. thankfully i also managed to find the reset button because i was starting to panic.
lightforx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
And my new replacement froze on me one day after getting it (after using the dictionary). Plus it took 2 tries to get into the Reader Store. I think there is something wrong with some of the T1s. I did a reset. But if it happens again, I will be returning it & calling Sony about this. In fact I think any of us having this problem should let Sony know.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
And my new replacement froze on me one day after getting it (after using the dictionary). Plus it took 2 tries to get into the Reader Store. I think there is something wrong with some of the T1s. I did a reset. But if it happens again, I will be returning it & calling Sony about this. In fact I think any of us having this problem should let Sony know.
Yes, let Sony know and get a replacement. That will be the only way that they will know that consumers know there is something fishy out there. I'm pretty sure the developers already are working on it and this may move the bug further up the chain.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Hmm, sounds like the old OS is more stable than the new Android system. Their switch to Android has (unsurprizingly) brought in new bugs. They need more time (and user bug reports) to get it as stable as the old OS. Sony seems to have a policy against updating firmware, but I hope they change their minds in this case and pass any fixes back to the early adopters.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #9
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My replacement reader is going back to Sony. I just talked with Sony Support & I will receive my new reader within 72 hours & then will return the old one.

My reader started turning pages again & then freezing. Just like the first one. They wanted to know the store I got it from of course. I'm wondering if this best Buy got a defective batch of readers since both form the store have done the same thing.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I don't know if they did receive a bad batch, but let's hope this was just an isolated case. Doesn't appear to be widespread as of yet.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:50 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforx View Post
mine froze on day one after extensive manga reading. thankfully i also managed to find the reset button because i was starting to panic.
Mine has frozen once. I was in a periodical that is image intensive and over 600 pages. All of a sudden it started rapidly turning pages and then froze. I didn't have to use the reset button. I held the power button and it brought up the do you want to turn this off screen. It didn't recognize my tap of yes. I pressed the button to make it go to sleep. Then I woke it up and pressed home. Then I let it sit there. After awhile the home screen came back. I still couldn't reopen the periodical. I turned off power through the settings menu option "Device Shutdown". When I turned it back on, I was able to reopen the periodical, and it is functioning normal again. I wonder if it has an issue with large file-size, image-heavy documents?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Could be Bookworm Girl. The other thing I noticed when I crashed mine while trying to organize books and download from the store was that I pressed too many things too quickly. I'm gonna guess that it couldn't handle everything I was doing and crashed. I found when I was more patient and slowly selected my 28 books to move to a collection it worked fine.

When I went around and clicked quickly it crashed. I think if it's too much for the OS to process it just crashes. I have to remember to pause after making my selection to allow time for the system to register my selection.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
Pomtroll
Guru

I'm only reading books. Just regular size paperback type books. Mine starts with a freeze. I reset & get it going. Then it has trouble getting into the Sony store. Takes a a couple of tries. Then the freeze again. Finally it started rapidly turning pages & freezing again. I got it to stop by hitting the home page button. But then it froze. So I did a soft reset.

I should not have to do numerous resets within a day or two of getting a new T1. I have not had any trouble with my PRS 350. Of course I could continue to reset when it does this, but I decided to not keep doing it.

Either there is a defective lot of T1s or I'm just unlucky with the T1.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #14
krighton
Addict

i bought mine from Sony store....hasn't had the problem again since i changed the font back to Original.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:22 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Excellent advice, Shopaholic! I learned with the other models that patience really is a virtue. Sometimes it's best to just let it sit there, and it comes back from doing whatever it was doing. And don't press too many buttons at once. I've been going slow and loading things in batches initially.

I've read one book and one short story on the T1 in the last week and so far it's working smoothly. I have about 150 books & 10 collections loaded currently and am still working to add more. I'm really pleased with the battery life so far, especially with the amount of web use that I've been doing to test things out. It's much better than battery life on my 950. Someone complained that searches are slow. Searches are quick for me. I just searched on a word in a book on Page 24 and the found word was on Page 600-ish. It was instantaneous to jump to it. I have one book that takes about 3 seconds to open, but the EPUB has loads of graphics and special formatting. My other books open instantly.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote