Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
New firmware for the Sony Reader 505: NOW!

This may not be news anymore, but I confirmed with the SONY Reader product manager at CES that there will be a new firmware for the 505 which will include the ability to properly resize PDFs inside the reader [thus, without using rasterfarian].

I actually saw this PDF functionality and it works much better than on our 500's!

Some other things I noticed on the 505 [with the experimental firmware] are:
  • Alphabetically grouped book listings
  • Book delete function
  • Complete off option to conserve battery power
  • Some kind of Bookmark viewer in the Sony PC software.

There was also some talk of a future compatibility with a new Adobe book format but I didn't know what that was.

Alas, still no PLAY/PAUSE while reading a book, but I pounded that into Sony's head because I personnel love controlling my music without having to exit the book. Maybe next time.

Time line for the firmware is sometime in Late Feb 2008. Of course, I begged the manager to get these features into the 500. He said he is pushing for this to happen very hard.

Enjoy,
Fabian.

Last edited by flamaest; 01-14-2008 at 05:24 PM.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 04:57 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Can you remember the name?

I was told that there was no definite time frame for release. And this was by one of the Sony people at CES.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Found it, the name is : David Seperson and he was definitely the guy in charge of the reader models. Very nice to talk to also.

F.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:13 PM   #4
flamaest
Groupie

I think David was happy to interact with someone who knows a thing or two about the Sony Reader Product Line. He indicated that he hadn't shown these features to other folks simply because no one asked [or grilled him about it]. I must have been chatting with him up for 20-30 minutes.

There are a lot of media-heads at CES and very few of them know the difference between an e-ink display and an LCD. As an attendee, you get a sense for this when the engineers reserve the nitty-gritty for us MobileRead forum folks who care about their reader experience.

F.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:14 PM   #5
doug41472
doug41472 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Please forgive my ignorance, but would this firmware update be available as a download? Thanks. Doug.
doug41472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
flamaest
Groupie

For the 505, the time line for the firmware is sometime in Late Feb 2008. I suspect this will be pushed to end of Q1, as most firmware's are usually.

For the 500, no idea. Wishful thinking. Tell Sony you want this in your 500 if you just bought it like many of us.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug41472 View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but would this firmware update be available as a download? Thanks. Doug.
I think the answer is certainly yes. The last firmware for the 500 was this summer and the PC software simply notified you of the update, prompted you to connect to Reader, and downloaded it for you.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
doug41472
doug41472 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony reader
Thank you Vivaldirules. I love my 505!!
doug41472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
There was also some talk of a future compatibility with a new Adobe book format but I didn't know what that was.
That's epub. The DRM is from Adobe, the format itself is a standard: http://idpf.org
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Does this mean that Sony has definitely abandoned the 500 and its users?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:44 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andanzas View Post
Does this mean that Sony has definitely abandoned the 500 and its users?
Not necessarily, but even though it's not really old the 500 is no longer a current device. It may be that at least some of the changes aren't feasible for the 500 due to memory or processor speed or something---or it may be that all or most of the features will eventually be available for the 500. They will certainly put out the update for the 505 first since they're still selling them & any enhancements might help sell more readers. Fabian said in his OP that the guy he talked to was pushing for it for the 500. If you're a 500 owner maybe an email to Sony, just to remind them you're there & that you want these updates too.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 AM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
"Alphabetically grouped book listings" and "complete off option" are already there. Although it's nice to hear they're adding the delete feature.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 AM   #13
ronnn
ronnn began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Thank you flamaest, that's indeed very good news.
I'm no big fan of PDF's but the few others additionnal functionnalities look good to me.
ronnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM   #14
vinniet
Connoisseur
vinniet has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-500
This is typical corporate BS not upgrading the software on the 500. Its the plan to phase out the older models. There are very few companies that take the effort to update older models and Sony is not one of them.

According to what I read, both 500 & 505 have the same amount of memory. Also I thought I read the processor is the same. The 505 might be faster but that only means slower to process. So in theory it would be minor change get this to work with the 500. Its there Sony's choice to not do it if they don't.
vinniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
... [with the experimental firmware] ...
Darn, weren't you able to snatch a copy of it?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
505, firmware, sony reader