Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2018, 12:22 AM   #1
cootcraig
Enthusiast
cootcraig began at the beginning.

Device: 2nd gen. Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Unable to "Download & transfer via USB"

Let me know if this is inappropriate or not possible, but I prefer working on my Linux workstation and want to download my Amazon Kindle books. I would then transfer them to "Kindle for PC" running in a windows 7 virtual machine.

When I select a purchased book and try "Download & transfer via USB" I get a popup:

Download & transfer via USB

Select a device from the dropdown

Craig’s Fire TV
Craig’s Android Device
Craig’s Kindle Cloud Reader
Craig’s Kindle for PC

You have selected content that is not compatible with any of your registered devices. Please remove incompatible content from selection for eligible devices to appear.
cootcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:41 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Just ADD the Kindle App to your PC its Free then you can Easy Download the ebooks.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2018, 12:55 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Afaik, the "Download & transfer via USB" option requires an e-ink Kindle.

The downloaded books are tied specifically to that e-ink Kindle's serial number and cannot be used with any other device unless you remove the DRM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:45 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Just ADD the Kindle App to your PC its Free then you can Easy Download the ebooks.
read his previous post.

Craig’s Kindle for PC
already exists
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:47 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Afaik, the "Download & transfer via USB" option requires an e-ink Kindle.

The downloaded books are tied specifically to that e-ink Kindle's serial number and cannot be used with any other device unless you remove the DRM.
An eInk Kindle or a Fire Tablet. Any other devices/apps should show grayed out text, as opposed to black, indicating that you can't download. DRM'd content is tied to the device it's downloaded for (unless uninfected). DRM-free content will work with anything capable of reading the format.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM   #6
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cootcraig View Post
Let me know if this is inappropriate or not possible, but I prefer working on my Linux workstation and want to download my Amazon Kindle books. I would then transfer them to "Kindle for PC" running in a windows 7 virtual machine.
I'd recommend giving your VM access to the internet and downloading them directly through Kindle for PC. You can't download from the web for transfer via USB to Kindle for PC, only for Fire tablets and E-Ink Kindles.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #7
cootcraig
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I'd recommend giving your VM access to the internet and downloading them directly through Kindle for PC.
Yes, The VM is on the internet and I will download from "Kindle for PC" and attempt the import into Calibre/DeDRM.

Quote:
You can't download from the web for transfer via USB to Kindle for PC
Disappointed, but good to know as I assumed it was possible.

Quote:
only for Fire tablets and E-Ink Kindles.
Interesting, I'm awaiting a 2nd generation Fire table I purchased from shopgoodwill in hopes I'd have some use for it. I'll be pleased if this allows me to download on Linux when it is registered.

EDIT. Apparently DeDRM will not work when the download was for a Fire tablet. As of now, I don't expect to purchase an e-ink Kindle.

Last edited by cootcraig; 09-21-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:40 PM   #8
cootcraig
Enthusiast

I think I've found the recipe. The Kindle books must be downloaded with "Kindle for PC". From the FAQ at the apprenticealf site.

Quote:
If this book is from Kindle for Mac or Kindle for PC, you must have the Kindle software installed on the same computer as your copy of calibre.
There are more specific instructions as well. I hope posting this about DeDRM use is acceptable.

Last edited by cootcraig; 09-21-2018 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Added the use of Kindle for PC for download
Old 09-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #9
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by cootcraig View Post
EDIT. Apparently DeDRM will not work when the download was for a Fire tablet. As of now, I don't expect to purchase an e-ink Kindle.
You don't have to actually use the e-ink kindle, it only has to be registered to your account. Find a cheap used Kindle (make sure it isn't blacklisted prior to puchase) register it, throw it in a junk drawer and forget about it. Download via USB will work in native Linux browser. Enter the serial number into plugin and everything works without the need to have a VM installed. That is what I do, except the Kindles are actually also in use for reading.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote