Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #61
azayn
Groupie
azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azayn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nova 3, Galaxy S22+, iPad
I love reading outdoors, provided the weather is agreeable of course. In fact it's one of the reasons why I own e-readers and the main reason for buying my Kobo Mini. Parks, the lake, and basically anywhere green are ideal outdoor reading spots for me. Plus e-ink displays look the crispest and clearest under direct sunlight.
azayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #62
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by azayn View Post
I love reading outdoors, provided the weather is agreeable of course. In fact it's one of the reasons why I own e-readers and the main reason for buying my Kobo Mini. Parks, the lake, and basically anywhere green are ideal outdoor reading spots for me. Plus e-ink displays look the crispest and clearest under direct sunlight.
One of my favorite vacations was camping on one of the Georgia barrier islands, walking the beach in the morning and evening and reading in the shade of the trees during the heat of the day. Of course, this was prior to eReaders, so I carried a supply of books with me. Ebooks are much, much more convenient in such situations.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #63
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
in direct sunlight? I'm just curious, but that is always a talking point, and something Amazon features in Kindle advertisements. The recent threads about using smartphones and tablets to read with has made me wonder if reading around a swimming pool is a major thing.

I personally hate reading outside in direct sunlight. But in a nice screened in shelter with a comfy chair and a drink with an umbrella in it, and some nice quiet music playing in the background, game on! I will read with whatever is handy.
Normally say at home or while traveling by car or plane, I will seek some shade, but when you are actually in the Great Outdoors shade seems to lessen the experience.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:23 PM   #64
nikkisharif
nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.nikkisharif can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I do when at the park or waiting for the train to and from work. Sometimes the sun is super bright coming into the train. Can’t imagine reading on a phone in those conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
nikkisharif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:33 PM   #65
OregonJim
Enthusiast
OregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipediaOregonJim knows more than wikipedia

Location: Atop a wooded hill in the great piney forest, Oregon
Device: Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-505
I *love* reading outdoors, no matter the weather. A nice, sunny summer afternoon under a shade tree, on my front porch during a thunderstorm, sitting by a stream or lake under a canopy of tall pines. I prefer not to be in direct sunlight for very long, but occasionally it happens that I have no choice.

When it's snowing, I prefer to read indoors and look out at the snow. I'm at an age where coldness distracts me - so, no reading when the temp dips too low.

E-ink screens work better than LCDs for me in that, not only do they not reflect direct sunlight, but they also don't reflect the annoying image of my reading lamp onto the screen.
OregonJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2018, 12:29 AM   #66
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I used to walk and read, but that proved unsafe

Backyard reading was fine until the FAA modified the flight paths around here.
Between Jumbo Jets and home reconstruction/remodel (there are 5 within a block), the noise level is pretty loud.

I like a quiet read, so I go back indoors where I only have to deal with my nagging (meez ish) cat.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:11 PM   #67
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Very possibly .

It's interesting, too, the range of interpretations of what "reading outside" actually constitutes that this thread has shown up. I took it to mean "reading in the open air", while for other people it includes reading in vehicles, on porches, etc.
I also took it for bright light where an ordinary tablet is difficult to use because of the glare.

Also, I don't think OP was looking for an actual enumeration. I think he's just wondering if there are others out there who use the ereader in bright light lighting conditions.

I like the brown noise but alas, it seems I need something with more variance to make the tinnitus distract less. Thanks for the suggestion!
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:36 PM   #68
LDB
Baker Street Irregular
LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LDB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PaperWhite 5, Aura One, Glowlight Plus, Scribe, Sage
I don't read in direct sunlight but on those far too rare days when the weather is tolerable to go walk in the park I'll sit in the shade on a bench and read a bit.
LDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:54 PM   #69
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I used to walk and read, but that proved unsafe

I've been known to bump into things even when I'm looking where I'm going. I hate to think what would happen if I tried to read while walking!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 PM   #70
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I read outside on my lunch break in direct sun. I just got back from vacation and read by the pool a little bit. I also do read outside at times on my porch.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:58 PM   #71
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I've been known to bump into things even when I'm looking where I'm going. I hate to think what would happen if I tried to read while walking!
Perhaps like those multiple videos of people using their cellphones while walking? I thought they were much funnier until I was the victim of a distracted pedestrian.

DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:39 PM   #72
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I go to the park to read if the weather is nice. watch the ducks
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #73
Soldim
Not so important
Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Soldim ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 4, iPad, Kobo Glo 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I do. Waiting for a lift. At train stations. In the garden. It's not that unusual!
In the UK??!!
Soldim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #74
the_callant
Connoisseur
the_callant has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle Oasis/Kindle Scribe/Kindle PW Signature
Sitting outside reading and drinking tea, doesn't get any better. If the sun is too bright I just add a hat and sunglasses. Biggest problem is cats, one of which usually tries to get between me and the kindle.
the_callant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #75
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldim View Post
In the UK??!!
Only the west is really wet. Norfolk is one of the driest counties in the UK.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote