Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #16
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
... There's something about baking in clay that aided the creative process for me, so now I use cueiform. The only problem is the indexing system
How do your files survive a crash?
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:51 AM   #17
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
I went with runes myself. For a while I used to carve my ideas in the bark of the trees in the local woods but I got busted and did time. So then I moved on to carving in soapstone. But I didn't like it. All this new fangled tech. There's something about baking in clay that aided the creative process for me, so now I use cueiform. The only problem is the indexing system
Did you use a Noodler for carving? How do you feel about the cuneiform vs sanskrit controversy? Is "hieroglyphics" cheating?
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 02:08 PM   #18
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
If you ever do get into keyboarding, there's always the very portable, full-keyboard size AlphaSmart Neo.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:50 PM   #19
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
If you ever do get into keyboarding, there's always the very portable, full-keyboard size AlphaSmart Neo.
I have one, BookCat and it is da-bomb. I recently even replaced the little battery inside it (there's still an active AlphaSmart community on Flickr (of all places)).

The Neo2 is fantastic for brain dumps of typing with no interruptions. However, I do most of my writing in cafes & whatnot and frankly, where I live, the Neo is a crowd puller. Which is nice, but I tend to feel self conscious wherever I use it. People just are fascinated by it and there's always lots of questions.

But for writing without editing - just going for it - I don't think the Neo can be beat. Half the time, I forget what I've written until I slurp it back to the computer.

Update on scanning: It's going pretty well. I'm editing before incorporating the writing into my WIPs. I'm scanning using Readlle ScannerPro* into Evernote and I can view my scratchings there easily (and anywhere).

* Although the MS app was groovier (really excellent functionality), I couldn't get it to send the scans to Evernote and I don't have Word on my laptop, so it was a bit tricky. I think it does use Dropbox, but I have to be careful with my DB syncing because Scrivener gets all out of whack if I'm not careful.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:25 PM   #20
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

skb: I'm a member of the Flickr group and have seen posts about the attention the Neo draws. I have both the original khaki Neo and the black Neo2 as a backup, but because I like using certain writing programs I also have a 12" Windows laptop which is dedicated to writing and which doesn't access the internet. It's a great little portable device which cost £75 from ebay (used); an X200. This would possibly attract less attention than the Neo and is almost as light.

Good luck with the handwriting. Mine is awful, so I prefer using a keyboard.
Advert
Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #21
skb
Evangelist

The Flickr group is wonderful. I followed a help file of pictures to replace the battery on my Neo. Just a fabulous group.

I didn't mention the gawkers on the Flickr group (I've only made a couple of posts).

I'm spending four hours on a train today, so I'll take the whizbang laptop and hopefully get some writing done on it. It's a country train, so no internet to distra...oh look, cats dancing.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #22
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by skb View Post
I'm spending four hours on a train today, so I'll take the whizbang laptop and hopefully get some writing done on it. It's a country train, so no internet to distra...oh look, cats dancing.
Old 03-01-2018, 06:26 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
There is also the alternative of a Kindle Fire and a bluetooth keyboard. The keyboards come in different sizes I've found (some are wide and thin while others are more compact) and there are even some free apps for the KF that you can use to make your own notebooks. You decide on how many pages, if they have lines or not and from an assortment of different color covers. You can even mail yourself copies of the notebook (as pdf files) and then print them out later.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:09 PM   #24
BookCat
C L J

crich70 Then the dancing cats come to distract! The beauty of an AlphaSmart is that it can't connect to the internet.
Old 03-02-2018, 10:24 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
crich70 Then the dancing cats come to distract! The beauty of an AlphaSmart is that it can't connect to the internet.
But the KF and bluetooth keyboard are smaller and therefore more portable. The smaller of my two bluetooth keyboards is only 6" by 8" by .25" in size. That's one reason I now have two in fact. I had misplaced the smaller one during the move from one apt. to another.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:12 AM   #26
skb
Evangelist

I did try a small (cute!) bluetooth keyboard with my ipad but...it's all too much palaver for me. I even tried a MyScript (handwriting) "keyboard" for the ipad. But the ipad has dancing cats and OMG dog shaming and oh look, a bird paying piano...

ahem.

I must say that the scanning thing is going serious gangbusters, though. I'm scanning via the iphone, magic happens and the scans go to Evernote. Computers! Who knew?

On the downside, I now have gone from 12 WIPs to 19. I'm not even sure how that happened. I seem to have the attention span of a two day old chick...holy cow...google shows me how cute and fluffy baby chicks are.

I'm doomed.
Old 03-03-2018, 07:17 AM   #27
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
That's great news, skb. (The "gangbusters" bit, not the "doomed" bit ).

At the moment I can really relate to the distraction thing; it's impacting not just my writing but my computer work too (which has usually been immune to this sort of thing).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:53 PM   #28
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I avoid distraction by not turning on any distracting devices until I've finished my daily writing. I write first thing in the morning by hand (fountain pens - yay!) I transcribe it into the computer a couple of chapters at a time - also first thing in the morning, before my daily internet sweep. I find that the strictures give it some structure, and it's easier to fulfill my commitments to the work.

I know my propensities, and I've learned how to manage them. I exploit my pride, for instance, to keep me from letting myself down. It helps to keep me to the routine.

I've never got in the habit of carrying a notebook, so I've never been tempted to try to replicate one with a device. I do my writing at home, so I don't need a coffee shop device, just my pens and a lot of paper. I suspect that if I did start writing in a coffee shop, it would be by hand.

If you're not suited to writing with pen and paper, then you shouldn't waste time trying to force it. Find a device that works for you and get to work. There's a lot to be said for simplicity.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #29
skb
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
I avoid distraction by not turning on any distracting devices until I've finished my daily writing. I write first thing in the morning by hand (fountain pens - yay!) I transcribe it into the computer a couple of chapters at a time - also first thing in the morning, before my daily internet sweep. I find that the strictures give it some structure, and it's easier to fulfill my commitments to the work.
Mmm, fountain pens. I love fountain pens. I usually use a ball point (fine tip and nice flow) that is a very specific brand/type but at the moment I'm using (of all things) a freebie pen from somewhere which is just lovely. I'm going to be sad when the ink runs out (which being a freebie will probably be soon).

And after the last week or so of writing and scanning, I've discovered that I get lots more writing done with a pen & paper than with the computer (be it Neo or the Cat Dancing Laptop). It just seems to happen. As I mentioned, I've got a lot more WIPs now, but I'm delighted by how much is getting done. I've hit a purple patch (of hopefully not purple prose).

I wish I had the discipline of arjaybe to get it all directly into the drafts but at the moment I'll settle for baby steps.

I'm so glad I asked everyone here. I would never had considered my current new workflow.

Old 03-03-2018, 05:09 PM   #30
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Before I got my fountain pens I ran through every ballpoint in the place. Run one dry and grab the next one.-)
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote