Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-05-2022, 05:16 PM   #1
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Flattening folder structure in Calibre Library and on Kobo device?

Hi,

I've long been sideloading my epub collection between a version-controlled folder and my Kobo devices, using Calibre only for editing metadata and conversion jobs, and have always kept the folder structure flat for easy readability/searchability/etc-ability. So, my library folder would look like:

Code:
library/.git
library/booka.epub
library/bookb.epub
[etc]
I'm experimenting now with (finally) using Calibre to maintain a Library and send to my devices, but I notice the Calibre library structures are nested in folders, so the average file is as:

Code:
library/authora/booka/booka.epub
library/authora/bookb/bookb.epub
library/authorb/bookc/bookc.epub
[etc]
I'd rather it just be a flat structure. Similarly, on my Kobo device, I used to sideload books in a single "G:/books" folder, but now the sync'd books are in the root folder, but within author and book folders. I'd ideally like them to remain flattened in the "books" folder if possible.

It's very possible I'm missing an obvious option here, but is there a way to determine how Calibre saves its library structure, and how it sends to device? Thanks in advance.
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:21 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Read the Sticky:
Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library?

bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Hi,

I've long been sideloading my epub collection between a version-controlled folder and my Kobo devices, using Calibre only for editing metadata and conversion jobs, and have always kept the folder structure flat for easy readability/searchability/etc-ability. So, my library folder would look like:

Code:
library/.git
library/booka.epub
library/bookb.epub
[etc]
I'm experimenting now with (finally) using Calibre to maintain a Library and send to my devices, but I notice the Calibre library structures are nested in folders, so the average file is as:

Code:
library/authora/booka/booka.epub
library/authora/bookb/bookb.epub
library/authorb/bookc/bookc.epub
[etc]
I'd rather it just be a flat structure. Similarly, on my Kobo device, I used to sideload books in a single "G:/books" folder, but now the sync'd books are in the root folder, but within author and book folders. I'd ideally like them to remain flattened in the "books" folder if possible.

It's very possible I'm missing an obvious option here, but is there a way to determine how Calibre saves its library structure, and how it sends to device? Thanks in advance.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Don't concern yourself with the library folder structure, it's largely irrelevant, see ==>> Why doesn’t calibre let me store books in my own folder structure?

Then see Send to Device here ==>> The Graphical User Interface: Actions

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 04:33 PM   #4
Vanguard3000
Groupie
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Ok, I was able to flatten the structure and put all books in one folder on my device, which is good. I guess I'll just deal with them being in a concrete structure in the Calibre Library. I'll get used to it. Thanks, all!
Vanguard3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 05:25 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Note with Fat32 you might run out of space for file names with a totally flat all ebooks in root.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2022, 06:04 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a folder called books and that's where I stick my books. I don't use the root.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote