Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 05-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
kabirmaar
kabirmaar began at the beginning.

Device: none
Interface Action Plugin doesn't get to the placing icons into menubar

It happens on few computers (mostly OSX) with new Calibre versions that Interface Action plugin doesn't get to the state where user choose where to place icons for plugin (Menubar, with Device connected etc.). Later on it appears in the list of plugins but because there is no icon in the Menubar one can not use it. When one goes to toolbar customization there is no icon there.

(It only happens when installing the new plugin if it is just updating to the new version of plugin it doesn't happen.)

Is there something developer can do about it?
Or user?
kabirmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:05 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabirmaar View Post
It happens on few computers (mostly OSX) with new Calibre versions that Interface Action plugin doesn't get to the state where user choose where to place icons for plugin (Menubar, with Device connected etc.).
What is the Interface Action Plugin?

Quote:
Later on it appears in the list of plugins but because there is no icon in the Menubar one can not use it. When one goes to toolbar customization there is no icon there.
In 5 years of using calibre I have never run into this situation with any plugin. Additionally I don't recall folks in this forum reporting a problem of not being able to manually add the icon from an installed plugin.

Quote:
Or user?
The plugin developers have already built adding the icon to toolbars or menus in their process so unless you have a bug to report on a specific plugin there is nothing a developer can do.

The user can go to preferences - toolbar and add the icon to the toolbar. If you can't find the icon, restart calibre and try again. If you still can't find the icon then uninstall the plugin, restart calibre, reinstall the plugin and try again.

Good Luck.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-17-2014 at 01:07 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
It happens on few computers (mostly OSX) with new Calibre versions that Interface Action plugin doesn't get to the state where user choose where to place icons for plugin (Menubar, with Device connected etc.). Later on it appears in the list of plugins but because there is no icon in the Menubar one can not use it. When one goes to toolbar customization there is no icon there.

(It only happens when installing the new plugin if it is just updating to the new version of plugin it doesn't happen.)

Or user?
The Menu bar does not allow Icons, only names. Mine says: Preferences and Help
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can have a toolbar without the icons - then looks like a menu, but with with the drop down glyphs - L&F->Icon Size = Off - marvellous

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-17-2014 at 09:23 PM. Reason: remove reference to previous post - intent was to inform folks the icons are optional, not to critique theducks
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
You can have a toolbar without the icons - then looks like a menu, but with with the drop down glyphs - L&F->Icon Size = Off - marvellous

BR
I was reffering SPECIFIC to 'Menubar'. There is no way to Force icons there
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
kabirmaar
kabirmaar began at the beginning.

Yes, it was The Main toolbar (+ when device is connected). These two are selected for default placement of the icon when installing some Interface Action Plugin. Probably most users just say Yes and that's it. On two fresh Calibre (and then fresh plugin installation) OSX installations first pass didn't get to the usual pop-up (asking about placement of the icon).

That happens sometimes and then it is recommended, after restart, to find the icon in Calibre > Preferences > Toolbar and select in which menu bar one will find the plugin icon.

The reason why that didn't happen is that OSX didn't properly closed Calibre. When it was done through terminal saying: `calibre-debug -s` and started again the icon appeared in menu bars and one could select it for menu bar they want.

I know that just closing window doesn't properly shut down application on OSX. It should be quit. Still, people told me they quit it, not just closed it. Strange. I don't have OSX so my troubleshooting relies on OSX people claiming what they did. I write this feedback here because it will maybe happen again to other people and `calibre-debug -s` in terminal will help.

When I get a chance to debug this on some Apple machine i'll do my best to find the better solution... I promise
kabirmaar is offline   Reply With Quote