Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 09-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #1
institute
Enthusiast
institute is on a distinguished road

Device: ipad
Marvin pricing

Just to clarify. If you purchase "Marvin for iPhone and iPad" you can install it on each. If you already have "Marvin for iPad" you get an update to version 2 but you cannot install the iPhone version unless you pay for "Marvin for iPhone and iPad." Is this correct?

Last edited by institute; 09-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.
institute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Lightbulb

Nope, "Marvin for iPhone and iPad" does not exist.

They are 2 separate apps: "Marvin for iPad", and "Marvin for iPhone".

The iPad version is free, and the iPhone version is $5 (ridiculously low price, considering the app's quality and functionality).
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
institute
Enthusiast

OK. I did pay for the theme pack for the iPad version to support Marvin's development. I'll have to decide how much actual reading will occur on my phone rather than my mini.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
the iPhone version is $5 (ridiculously low price, considering the app's quality and functionality).
Actually, while I agree that Marvin's worth it, I think it's too expensive compared to the ebook reader "ecosystem":

Apabi Reader Free
Blio Free
Bluefire Reader Free
DL Reader Free
eBookMobi €1,79
i2Reader €4,49
iBooks Free
Kindle Free
Kobo eBooks Free
MegaReader €1,79
ShuBook Free (€2,69 for extra features)
Stanza Free
uBook s Free (€4,49 if you don't want ads)

The pricing will keep a fair amount of people away (someone already mentioned that on Facebook).
Personally, I'd have implemented the themes IAPs and kept the iPhone version free of charge, too.

For more details: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...02#post2516702

The argument, btw, that the iPad version is for testing is problematic - not everyone owns an iPad.
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #5
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by institute View Post
OK. I did pay for the theme pack for the iPad version to support Marvin's development. I'll have to decide how much actual reading will occur on my phone rather than my mini.
Right. For me, it's like 95% iPad, and 5% iPhone, yet I still find Marvin for iPhone essential for me. It's very comforting to know that no matter where I may find myself, perhaps delayed by unforeseen circumstances, I can always pick up the phone and continue reading a book for a few available minutes, wherever I left off reading that book on the iPad (my main reading device).
Advert
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philantrop View Post
Apabi Reader Free
Blio Free
Bluefire Reader Free
DL Reader Free
eBookMobi €1,79
i2Reader €4,49
iBooks Free
Kindle Free
Kobo eBooks Free
MegaReader €1,79
ShuBook Free (€2,69 for extra features)
Stanza Free
uBook s Free (€4,49 if you don't want ads)
But for practically all of those apps, Wulf, you get what you pay for. Meaning, you get little in terms of quality. (In the case of i2Reader, despite promising signs, you don't get real quality even after you pay for it.)

Also, I think it's unfair only to juxtapose the iPhone's $4.99 price tag to that listing... when Marvin for iPad is free as well. I for one would expect that a tablet, rather than a mobile phone, would be the main reading device for people. In that sense, Marvin for iPhone may be understood as an "extension" of the original (iPad) Marvin e-reader: if you want the "ultra-mobile" extension of Marvin for iPad, you pay the $4.99 to get that extra functionality. I'd see nothing wrong with that line of reasoning.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #7
institute
Enthusiast

I guess I feel that I have paid for Marvin already via the theme pack, which I would not have purchased if I did not appreciate the work put into a fine app. I felt that the developer did deserve some sort of payment, although themes were not really my thing. At the moment, paying for the iPhone version does seem like paying twice.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
Philantrop
Addict
Philantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beautyPhilantrop does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindles (e-ink)
Alex, I don't really disagree that much - the problem with "you get what you pay for" is that people without an iPad will not know what they're getting before buying it, though.

I'd been reading on the iPhone for years before buying an iPad and I was really cautious about buying a pig in a poke if it was a pricey pig. :-)
Philantrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #9
kguil
Addict
kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kguil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Marvin for iOS
@Philantrop Theme IAPs didn't work (not even remotely).
kguil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:50 PM   #10
artbatista
Groupie
artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artbatista ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
But for practically all of those apps, Wulf, you get what you pay for. Meaning, you get little in terms of quality. (In the case of i2Reader, despite promising signs, you don't get real quality even after you pay for it.)
Tell me about it. I purchased most of those listed (and several not listed) and got utter crap.

And send a query to the author, see how long until you get a response.

I waited 3 months for a reply from the author of Bluefire on a feature request.

Upgrades are non existent and some can't even display italics for the love of Mike!

Caveat Emptor

Art
artbatista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Shrug, it's $5. That's nothing. The cost of a crummy sandwich or two bus tickets. Even if it were a dud, it wouldn't be a tragedy. I wish people would put these things in perspective. They own a $650 phone but won't spend five bucks on an app they use every single day.

As for a preview, there are an insane number of screenshots, feature descriptions, and tutorials on the Marvin blog. More than I've ever seen for any number of comparatively-priced apps (Fantastical, Reeder, Twitterific, Articles, Dark Sky, etc.). It's pretty easy to inform yourself about what you're buying, and the developer has been very transparent about what he offers.

If you want good software, you have to support the devs who make it. Otherwise you end up with freemium crap, shovelware, or apps by massive corporations that ignore users and their requests.

Last edited by holymadness; 09-14-2013 at 04:05 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 09:53 PM   #12
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Ever thought about just making a paypal or other such link in an about section in marvin that allows direct donation? Ask people for money they feel obligated and often wont bother. Let people know if they enjoy it they can offer a donation for your past and continuing efforts? Just a thought. Ive been reading up on marvin almost since the start... waiting to get it until the ipad mini with retina comes out. I was excited to hear about iphone version but i know i wont use it as often. Five for a product i haven't gotten to use and probably wont use as much as on ipad later seems wasteful at this time. That being said i look forward to using Marvin but just because i think (from reading about it) and others think its amazing doesn't make it so to everyone (who may not know anything about it). Just my view.
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
Tell me about it. I purchased most of those listed (and several not listed) and got utter crap.

I waited 3 months for a reply from the author of Bluefire on a feature request.

Upgrades are non existent and some can't even display italics for the love of Mike!

Caveat Emptor

Art
Likewise, and with the same disappointments (though I dont mind ShubookSE, except even with an update its still crashing in iOS7)

I had absolutely zero hesitation in paying for Marvin for iPhone, because the iPhone is my main reading device, in spite of owning two e-ink devices, two iPads and two android phones!

Had not used the Marvin plugin for Calibre in the past because I rarely used the iPads for reading, but now I have, and my reading life is happy again I've yet to come to grips with sorting collections etc but everything else is hunky-dory
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbatista View Post
I purchased most of those listed (and several not listed) and got utter crap.

It's a horizontal 8 in most cases.
Old 09-17-2013, 01:45 AM   #15
vikarti
Groupie
vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vikarti ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I would have paid at least 29,99US$ for Marvin even in it's current state

Right now, only theme packs on both iPhone and iPad + iPhone version
vikarti is offline   Reply With Quote