Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #1
jomaco
jomaco began at the beginning.

Device: >13" eink monitor
Large eink monitor

Hi,

I am desperate for an eink monitor. I came across the Dasung Paperlike HD 13.3". This looks ideal but is very expensive. Is there an alternative that I have missed or anything that is in the works and will be released soon?

Thanks,
Jon.
jomaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2

If you take a look in this part of the forum, you'll see many threads which discuss larger eink readers.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
DeKuns
Connoisseur
DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!DeKuns rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

If you take a look in this part of the forum, you'll see many threads which discuss larger eink readers.
True, even I use the `ancient' Kindle DX with contrast patch from this forum to use it as an emergency monitor when I would like to type outside the house.
DeKuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:18 PM   #4
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
As has already been suggested, there are many improvised approaches to this problem scattered throughout the subforums. For instance, see the huge 'Onyx Boox as monitor' thread in the Onyx Boox forum for one of the closer competitors to the Dasung.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:47 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Using eink as a computer monitor, rather than an ereader might be rather slow. For example, many have reported that the FreeWrite, a dedicated eink writer has masses of lag. This is a link to show what the device I'm talking about:

https://getfreewrite.com/products/fr...art-typewriter

(If you want a dedicate writing device, try the AlphaSmart Neo, which you can pick up on ebay.)

I certainly can't imagine that eink can handle video or even loading pictures (which would be shades of gray). Unless of course the technology has massively developed in the past few months.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Using eink as a computer monitor, rather than an ereader might be rather slow. For example, many have reported that the FreeWrite, a dedicated eink writer has masses of lag. This is a link to show what the device I'm talking about:

https://getfreewrite.com/products/fr...art-typewriter

(If you want a dedicate writing device, try the AlphaSmart Neo, which you can pick up on ebay.)

I certainly can't imagine that eink can handle video or even loading pictures (which would be shades of gray). Unless of course the technology has massively developed in the past few months.
Using A2 mode can speed up an E Ink screen dramatically at the cost of no grayscale.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Onyx Boox Max 2 can be used as a monitor.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
j.p.s
Wizard
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaco View Post
Hi,

I am desperate for an eink monitor. I came across the Dasung Paperlike HD 13.3". This looks ideal but is very expensive. Is there an alternative that I have missed or anything that is in the works and will be released soon?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Onyx Boox Max 2 can be used as a monitor.
The over 3 years old but still active thread is at:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=272001
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 06:00 AM   #9
jomaco
jomaco began at the beginning.

Device: >13" eink monitor
Thanks all, sounds like the Dasung might be the only one fast enough!
jomaco is offline   Reply With Quote