Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-29-2008, 11:07 AM   #31
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
wow, that's a really bad pdf, 100% of the file are like an A2, maybe you should optimize and make the file like a A4 pdf
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
ok like this one... open on my PC no problem but wont even open on my reader
Sorry David, but I think that is copyrighted material, so I've had to "unapprove" the attachment. Please let me know if it's free from copyright, and I'll re-approve it.

[Moderator]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #33
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry David, but I think that is copyrighted material, so I've had to "unapprove" the attachment. Please let me know if it's free from copyright, and I'll re-approve it.

[Moderator]
You know I am not sure - I was part of the play test group and this was a sample of part of one module, so better safe than sorry
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #34
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Thats curious. I've opened a lot of pdfs until now. Some with heavy image use, grafics etc. I opened 40MB newspapers with a hughe format ("die Zeit") and lots of images - no problem.
At lot of it has to do with the format of the image (size, resolution, number of colors). If it's close to the native resolution/greyscale on the DR then it's fairly simple for the device to display it. If it's way off then the DR needs to essentially re-render the image before it will display. That's what makes some images take longer than others to open. On the iLiad (and I assume similar on the DR), if an image is really large then it's possible for the device to run out of memory while it's trying to re-render it and exit out of the PDF viewer (aka "crash").

I don't know what other devices are doing that allows them to handle large images. Perhaps they are using a different algorithm for resizing the images that takes less overhead but possibly doesn't look as good?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 PM   #35
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
At lot of it has to do with the format of the image (size, resolution, number of colors). If it's close to the native resolution/greyscale on the DR then it's fairly simple for the device to display it. If it's way off then the DR needs to essentially re-render the image before it will display. That's what makes some images take longer than others to open. On the iLiad (and I assume similar on the DR), if an image is really large then it's possible for the device to run out of memory while it's trying to re-render it and exit out of the PDF viewer (aka "crash").

I don't know what other devices are doing that allows them to handle large images. Perhaps they are using a different algorithm for resizing the images that takes less overhead but possibly doesn't look as good?

I would not even begin to go over all the settings but if i found if i reprint the pdf through acrobat pro 9 (and standard) using the smallest file preset all of my past problematic pdf's work like a charm now
Advert
Old 12-31-2008, 10:23 AM   #36
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidspitzer View Post
I would not even begin to go over all the settings but if i found if i reprint the pdf through acrobat pro 9 (and standard) using the smallest file preset all of my past problematic pdf's work like a charm now
I would guess that when you do that Acrobat is scaling down the images, which probably makes the DR able to handle them more efficiently.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #37
Shaggy
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I wonder if the first "minutes" above was a typo and is supposed to be "seconds"? I've posted on their forum to see if that's the case.
An iRex developer has confirmed that the "Suspend to RAM timeout after x minutes" in the post talking about the 1.5 firmware was a typo. It should read:

Advanced Power Management (Configurable Suspend to RAM timeout; device automatically suspends if no activity for x seconds and Configurable Automatic Shutdown after x minutes of no activity).
Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #38
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

the real question

When?
Old 01-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #39
Shaggy
Wizard

I haven't seen anything new about a release date, they're still saying sometime in January.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 PM   #40
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Tick Tick Tick

I can't be the only impatient Digital Reader User with ADD... January is almost half over.

Historically Irex has been really bad about communication, and I have seen some improvement (thank you Irex), but for a relatively obscure company for most they could really distinguish themsleves with a quantum leap in their communication frequency and content. It is one of the things that is relatively cheap for a company to do but so often overlooked. Why do you think that is?

Have people, in the internet age forgotten the value of real, honest and simple communication with its customers? (not just Irex but in general) and if so why is that?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:33 PM   #41
dlovely
Enthusiast
dlovely began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
I'm impatient as well considering I just bought the thing and constantly have to charge it. I'm use to the kindle that would sit there for an eternity and still power on. I agree better communication is needed as it doesn't take much to give occasional status posts.
dlovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:13 PM   #42
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
well, tomorrow is the middle of january, and I have been using dr1000s extensively for the last week. I have to say that usability is way behind compared to its full potential. I'd like to be able to switch quickly between pan and writing, I'd like to be able to switch quickly between my write pad and the doc(s) I'm reading. of course me writing these won't make the release faster, but I just can't help myself
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:50 PM   #43
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!

Insert Jeopardy Theme Music Here....

It's the 20th time is ticking away for the promised January release of the next software update (the one we are all waiting for, that promises a quantum leap in battery life)
Old 01-20-2009, 07:27 PM   #44
fxn
fxn began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR 1000S
The post said early January... early is gone.

Though to be honest I prefer a well-rounded firmware upgrade by the end of the month than a so-so software upgrade today. My anxiety can await that reward :-).
fxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #45
whopper
Addict
whopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguewhopper can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Boox max 2
Im thinking that we will not see any update until march
whopper is offline   Reply With Quote