Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-13-2019, 11:01 PM   #1
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
Opening an epub with Sigil (lately)

I have been having an issue with choosing an epub file by right-clicking and using the context menu to open with Sigil. Sigil opens but the file does not open in it. I am using MacOS 10.14 but this behavior has been happening with the last few versions of Sigil. Selecting a file in the Book Browser and using the Open with External Editor (I have attached PageEdit) also opens PageEdit but the file does not open in it. I have even tried Open With ... and PageEdit opens without the file.

If I open Sigil first and then choose an epub file using the Open With context menu in MacOS then the file populates in Sigil. This strategy also works with PageEdit if I use the Open With ... feature in Sigil.

Is it something with MacOS?
--MH
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #2
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
You should be able to drag and drop a epub on Sigil and it should open it. If Sigil is already open, dragging and dropping a file on Sigil's icon in the dock should open it. Obviously using the file menus works as well.

If you use open with inside Sigil, it sets the working directory to where the Sigil process working directory is.

If you use macOS open with on an epub and choose Sigil, I am not sure where the working directory for later Sigil "open with" would be.

If it turns out to be the /Applications folder, or some other protected space you would not be able to open a file inside the working directory!

So how you launch Sigil will matter. I could try to force a valid working directory for Sigil's openWith command if that would help.

KevinH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynabook View Post
I have been having an issue with choosing an epub file by right-clicking and using the context menu to open with Sigil. Sigil opens but the file does not open in it. I am using MacOS 10.14 but this behavior has been happening with the last few versions of Sigil. Selecting a file in the Book Browser and using the Open with External Editor (I have attached PageEdit) also opens PageEdit but the file does not open in it. I have even tried Open With ... and PageEdit opens without the file.

If I open Sigil first and then choose an epub file using the Open With context menu in MacOS then the file populates in Sigil. This strategy also works with PageEdit if I use the Open With ... feature in Sigil.

Is it something with MacOS?
--MH
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 04:13 AM   #3
Vroni
Beast
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Tolino/PRS 650/Tablet
Hi,

i have the same issue. And i'm pretty sure this wasnt the case in 0.9.9.

0.9.9 in finder clicking on "open with" opened sigil twice, one instance with the "empty" standard ebook and onme instance with the choosen epub.

0.9.17 in finder clicking on "open with" opens sigil once with then "empty" statdard ebook.

Sigil already running

0.9.9 "open with" works as expcted

0.9.17 "open with" works as expected

The same behavior with double clicking on a eoub file. This defintily worked in 0.9.9, in 0.9.17 not

For me its not a big issue as i have Sigil mostly running all the time as i'm lazy, not closing Apps nor shuting down the computer. So Sigil is running most of the time and everything is fine.
Vroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 08:41 AM   #4
KevinH
Wizard
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, which exact version of macOs are you using? If I double-clicked an epub in old Sigil-0.9.9, I would get an empty epub instead of the one I double clicked or sometimes two windows, one empty and one with the epub. If I used open with at the macOS level with Sigil closed, all I got would be an empty epub.

This now all works with Sigil.

If Sigil is already open, use the menus to open a new epub or drag and drop the epub on the Sigil icon in the dock.
Old 08-14-2019, 11:14 AM   #5
KevinH
Wizard

Okay, I just tested all of the following (this is with Sigil-0.9.17 installed in /Applications).

Starting with Sigil not running for all test cases:

1. drag an epub onto Sigil icon in dock
- launches one instance of Sigil with that epub, no empty epub generated

2. using macOS right click on epub and use open with and select Sigil.app
- launches one instance of Sigil with that epub, no empty epub is created

3. double click on Sigil icon and it launches with an empty epub

I repeated some test with Sigil already running but no window opened:

1. drag on epub onto the active Sigil icon in the dock opens just that epub

2. try using macOS open with on an epub, and it launches a whole new instance of Sigil.app (see the second Sigil icon in the doc) and loads it.
This is outside Sigil's control.

Testing using the Sigil menus and icons all seems to work.

Now with Sigil running no matter how I launched Sigil, I was able to load PageEdit with Sigil's open with just fine.

If you are seeing different behaviour then you must not be using mac OS 10.13.6 as that is the development machine I am currently using or your system setup has somethign strange. I have two other tests machines, one running 10.12 and the other running 10.13.5 (I forgot to update it).

All show the exact same behaviour.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Vroni
Beast
Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Vroni knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

I'm using 10.14.6 and double clocking on an epub starts sigil, but with an empty epub, same as with open with. Draging the epub on the sigil icon in the dock: same. empty ebook is loaded.

This wasnt the case with sigil 0.9.9, but i dont remeber when i upgraded to 10.14.6
Old 08-14-2019, 12:55 PM   #7
dynabook
Techno-geek
dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dynabook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1 (Black), PRS-T3S (Black), Kobo Aura ONE
I am using MacOS 10.14.6 (latest version, I think.) Step 2 opens Sigil with an empty epub.

Quote:
Now with Sigil running no matter how I launched Sigil, I was able to load PageEdit with Sigil's open with just fine.
PageEdit launched for me also but the file I had selected did not open in it.

I have been keeping the last version(s) of Sigil around and just renaming them. I think I will remove them from /Applications and remake my alias and Dock icon. Who knows?
--MH

Last edited by dynabook; 08-14-2019 at 12:56 PM. Reason: typo
dynabook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #8
KevinH
Wizard

The code that implements "open with" inside Sigil hasn't changed in over 8 years.
The code that implements launching from macOS was changed to fix many issues but as I said it properly works on all macs I have tested with.

So this must be related to macOS 10.14.6. I have no plans to move my development machine to Mojave any time soon as I want to keep supporting macOS 10.12.

I can look into building a test build with an environment variable to try different approaches
to catching the desktop signal that tells Sigil that it has a file to open.

In the interim, you may want to build an small applescript to use as an app target to pass the file name directly to the the Sigil app on its command line if launching Sigil using open with is broken on mojave.
Old 08-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #9
Vroni
Beast

Well as i am loading new epubs only once or twice a day i can live with opening an epub using sigils file menu
Old 08-14-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
KevinH
Wizard

Just in case it helps, I have moved up the installation of the event filter that receives FileOpen events to much earlier in the startup sequence just in case Mojave is generating that signal earlier in the start up process and we were simply missing it.

I also made one other change to prevent the eating of the next FileOpen event if one was not provided at startup.

This change will appear in the next release.

Last edited by KevinH; 08-14-2019 at 05:53 PM.